Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Confirming Cross/Bow and Spear Runewords

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by Ax2Grind, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Ax2Grind

Ax2Grind IncGamers Member

Confirming Cross/Bow and Spear Runewords

The spreadsheet is on another drive, which I don't even know still works, but just off the top of my head:

2oS = Zephyr (exceptional)
    3oS = Edge (exceptional), Melody, Venom
    4oS = Brand, Faith, Fortitude, Hand of Justice, Harmony, Passion, Phoenix, Wrath
    5oS = Call to Arms
    6oS = Breath of the Dying, Silence

2oS = Strength (exceptional), Wind
    3oS = Fury, Malice (exceptional), Venom
    4oS = Fortitude, Hand of Justice, Passion, Phoenix
    5oS = Call to Arms, Eternity, Honor (exceptional)
    6oS = Breath of the Dying, Last Wish, Silence

If this is correct, then superior unsocketed matriarchal, grand matron, shadow, diamond and ward bows, as well as demon crossbows, can only be used for CtA, because no combination of runes/jewels/gems can give the benefits of that runeword. Also, superior unsocketed colossus crossbows, crusader and hydra bows should be Silenced or BotD. The questions are:
    1. Are any of the first group of bows worth using the runes, or should those bows be tossed without exception?
    2. Would it be worth BotD in any of the second group (they should be Silenced, if not)?
    3. What are the preferred runewords, if any, for melee Amazons or other spear-wielding builds (assuming EBotD war/matriarchal pike or spear isn't the only choice)?

2. Ax2Grind

Well, after a day and a half of no replies, I guess what you're telling me is 'Go ahead and make Call to Arms in that near-perfect matriachal bow! After all, you have no other use for it.' Thanks, guys and gals, I knew I could count on you. Shame no one had any ideas about spears, though.

Thread closed.

3. MageChick

MageChick IncGamers Member

well, you kinda lost me on the first post. What are the 2 lists for? In your first question what do you mean by "the first group of bows"? What bows?

Are you asking what bows are worth it to socket rune words in? I think more clarification is needed - what is the end result you're looking for?

You may have had more luck in the zon forum too. Here's two links in their library that discuss what bows and runewords are worth using.

In-Depth Bow Comparison: The Numbers

A Guide to Runewords and Your Bow v1.2

4. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

No offense Ax, but you tend to ask odd questions in odd ways.

There's nothing special about spears that makes some runewords better than others in ways that set them apart from other weapons. I've used silence in a mat spear with fend a long, long time ago when it was the uber runeword. Fend has never been very good so I didn't too do well with it. The lightning spear skills work best with +skills so silence should be pretty good with them. BoTD is all physical damage which probably won't be what you're focusing on. Silence's +all res is nice since you won't have a shield, and you'll be quite busy balancing other things for a light spear zon. The flee chance could be annoying, since ideally you'd want one enemy in front to spread the chain lightning or charged bolts to others behind him.

I wouldn't make CtA in any bow, harmony is at least pretty close for much cheaper, isn't it? Failing that I'm sure WF is. BoTD is rarely used in bows, but I've seen it before. I'd still think WF would be better and cheaper.

I think it's Sokar that's real big on melee zons using passion and zeal. Doesn't seem worth it to me, but look into it if you are interested.

5. Ax2Grind

It was all right there

Non-class specific bows can be used by any build, not just Amazons. Paladins use fast, low-damage cross/bows - like Rogue's Bow - to deliver elemental damage from Holy Fire/Freeze/Shock. Likewise, the Trinitar build I designed uses Ice, in combination with Dream and Dragon, with 10-point or higher synergies. Enchantresses use cross/bows, as well, though they are more likely to arm Raven Claw, Hellcast, Kuko Shakaku and other 'exploding' weapons. This doesn't even take spears into consideration, which are used by Barbarians, Desert Warriors and more. Last time I read those guides (Witchwild String versus Faith, etc.) they didn't have an answer to the questions outlined above.
    If all the information is right there, then I need to be incredibly direct, and that means more verbose. People complained about that before, too.
    I'm not necessarily making an Amazon build. I'm trying to figure out whether you're absolutely serious that, if you found a near-/perfect superior bow of the types I listed above, you'd throw them in the bon furnace rather than spend one of those countless Ohms and Ists everyone is allowed to throw around in the trade forums. A 3/14/3 matriachal bow only gets five sockets if it's unsocketed when found, so the choice is CtA or trash, since it won't trade. I'd think that an incredible waste.

6. MageChick

MageChick IncGamers Member

I understand that non zon char's use bows too, just thought you'd more expertise there as you obviously didn't get any responce here. I'm no expert, just trying to help.

When you were asking about groups of bows I kept going back to your two lists (organized at lists at the top), my bad I guess - but you lost me.

Socketeing mat bows is like socketing phase blades - if you get anything other than the number you want (4 for bow, 5 for PB) then its just junk. You only have a 1/6 chance to get what you want, that's probably what keeps the price up on these.

You never really close a thead unless a mod does it. All you can do it let it die in obscurity, which apparantly you didn't want to do. I replied and so did you :wink:

7. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

Yeah, it is a painful choice. It just seems like to should be so awesome. I suppose you could put 5 ists in it if you want to give your bowzon all the mf possible. If I was filthy rich and had an ohm mule though, I'd probably make a CtA.