Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Confessions of a new HC Player

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by Lanello, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Lanello

Lanello IncGamers Member

Confessions of a new HC Player

Well, I made the big shift from SC player with gear from .com playing on bnet USEast to HC SP untwinked.

What a difference in play. My first character only lasted to level 12, but my second character is now lvl 51 and on his way to completing Act II NM.

I've been learning how to get by only on gear I've really earned. I've quite a few runes now, but that's not enough. I've got to get high enough to get the right number of sockets!

So far, I don't have too many questions because I've been searching the forums a lot learning about ilvl, runewords, countess, and strategy. Basically moving cautiously, and so far I've managed to exit out a few times just before dying.

The game is much better for me now. Untwinked, HC and SP is great. How you guys play through untwinked 1x is beyond me right now. My helm is off to you.

I am curious if you all play much SP, and if so do you /p8?

Peace,
    Lanello

2. Pailon

Pailon IncGamers Member

Re: Confessions of a new HC Player

Everytime though the first Difficulty. As soon as I hit NM I take it off and put it at /players1 If I am making a build who uses alot of mana then I put it at /players4 or below.

3. MrBill

MrBill IncGamers Member

First of all, congratulations on coming over the the Red Side. After a few turns in Hardcore I could never go back to Softcore... the excitement just isn't there when you can die and live again.

Three comments :

(1.) Be glad that you're venturing into Hardcore after (it appears, so far), Blizzard finally did away with the detestable TPPK hack, three years too late but better late than never. Believe me when I say, TPPK made Realm play a complete waste of time, unless of course you're a masochist who enjoys being victimized by retarded, cheating 13 year-old griefers.

(2.) Be very cautious upon entering Hell Act 1, particularly if you have a melee-based character (e.g. conventional Paladin or Barbarian, Shapechanging Druid or Assassin kicker / claw build). As a Sorceress, never Teleport without knowing what's going to be waiting for you, when you re-appear.

I would strongly advise running from anything that you see with the Might or Fanaticism auras, or the Cursed attribute, especially if there are one or more Champion monsters with those auras affecting them. Any untwinked or partly untwinked character who gets a "critical hit" from a Champion, Cursed or boss monster with either Might or Fanaticism is in deep, deep trouble. (Same goes for monsters with Lightening Enchanted or Spectral Hit, if your resistances are low... which they shouldn't be.)

(3.) For example last night I had a (then) Level 71 Chain Lightening / Frozen Orb Sorceress, dipping her fragile little toe in Hell Act 1 Jail Level 2. Here's what she ran up against, in three rooms, one after the other :

Room #1 : Boss Specter pack, with Might, Extra Strong, Extra Fast, Lightening Enchanted, Cold Enchanted, Immune to Physical, Immune to Lightening. Merc goes down in two seconds.

Room #2 : Boss Specter pack, with Might, Cursed, Spectral Hit, Immune to Physical and some other thing that I didn't get a chance to check. Merc goes down in one second.

Room #3 : Boss Goatman pack, with Fanaticism, Cursed, Spectral Hit, Extra Fast, Immune to Cold. Merc goes down in about a second and a half.

Merc, incidentally, is an Act II Prayer / Meditation build with Insight, he continually heals a lot of hit points, he has average resists but has a Shaftstop body armor for physical resistance and has around 1400 hit points.

Monsters are all dead, my Sorceress is still alive, Merc is complaining to his union for a "cost of dying" allowance, and if I had been a melee Paladin, these monsters would have been completely impossible to fight... "feets do yo' stuff!"

Q.E.D.

Mr. Bill

4. Lanello

Lanello IncGamers Member

Had I only read you message Mr. Bill yesterday before diving in (dying in?). I was in Act 4 NM working my way to the stairs to enter into the river of flame. I had just defeat Izual, and I was saying to myself, I don't have enough offense. It's taking too long to kills these monsters. I rationalized to myself, saying I need to get lucky with the hell forge to get some good rune drop to make something more powerful.

I ran into a champion bunch with an aura I didn't recognized. My frost pally and merc were dead in about 4 seconds. Just as I realized I needed to punch out, I died. I cried out in frustration (later to be accountable for questions from the family like, "what happened"), cut down was Durgi my lvl 56 pally.

"Run Durgi, run", should have been my shout as I high tailed it away.

Oh well, rest in peace Durgi. Fortunately I play SP on my local machine and I've been using GoMule to stash away some goodies. I'm thinking though, I should play a sorc, do a lot more MF, and get some better offensive gear before making another run at it with Durgi2.

Great fun.

Thanks Mr. Bill for the advice which I will follow from here on out.
    Lanello

5. Arkansaw

Arkansaw Banned

Better early than late, for dying and rebuilding anyway. If you just want to clear the game no matter what, there's the famous cheesy build (that MrBill purposely omitted)

6. Elyxthaxzus

Elyxthaxzus IncGamers Member

It IS tough to go back and play SC. I hop over once in awhile to tinker with my son, but HC is the place. I agree with all the advice given, great stuff. the key I think is to really know your classes defensive capabilities. Sheer firepower only carries so far in HC when you can die in a fraction of a second to fanatic might enchanted whatevers.

As an example, in SC my barbs life consisted of hitting everything. If it was dangerous, i hit it harder hehe. after a few barb deaths in HC i had to rethink my strategy. I noticed for the first time some odd skills covered in dust called howl, grim totem, war cry...etc. I was amazed at my barbs ability to control crowds! I always thought a barbs abilities didnt' extend past the end of his big hammer.

it really is al about playing defensively. survive first, kill second. the minute you think you can rush in cause your just that tough, you die...

Melee classes have to plan carefully. For pallys it's often slapping 1 pt in various auras to help out, and shopping NM vigorously for cheap melee gear (shoping as in in farming it yoruself, or trading on bnet if you play online). Barbs its all abotu ping poinging mobs between howl/GT and taunt. You really learn to appreciate small things...like a cheap polearm with CtC amp on it...got one that does piddly damage, but its only used for my merc to unlock those PI's - at least till I got my baranars star. from that point on it was baranar's and 1 pt in conviction.

I play Bnet, and not a purist, so trading is within my warrior code, and it helps a TON. gather gems till you puke, save the chippies for crafting, cueb teh rest and trade. You can get some surprising stuff for pgems in HC trading.

7. zrk

zrk IncGamers Member

yeah gotta get that alt+f4 movement fast to your fingers and do it in any ominous situation without thinking. its like pulling your pistol out in the wild west, gotta be with utmost speed

8. MrKaxe

MrKaxe IncGamers Site Pal

Win dude :thumbup:

Miss you in KTA btw...

9. Lanello

Lanello IncGamers Member

I've started working on my next HC paladin. I'm stuck with that character class for who knows what reason?

I've name him Kaliurga, kind of a play on kaliduga an eastern apocalytpic time. Btw, bluray of Book of Eli, is recommended!

Anyway, now I'm into doing countess runs, and I'm now a level 44 ish in Act1 NM. Since kicking my SC .com habit, I've been doing quite well thank you.

I got lucky and did a lazur socket on a war scepter that I found during normal chaosis run. That gave me 5 sockets and I create Honor rune word, and replaced me Malice with it.

Kalidurga is a frosty as was durgi. My near term goals are making smoke armor, upping the base honor base weapon, getting a better shield to remake ancients pledge, and saving my runes to make duress.

Zrk, I think by hitting the escape key you suspend the play and can exit from there. I tried that compared to alt+f4 and found it easier for me.

D2 is a completely different game for me now.
    Peace,
    Lanello

10. Barloc

Barloc IncGamers Member

I don't find ancients pledge all that useful, other a cheap roll for res stacking, which you can simply do with perfect diamonds, all in a row, and even higher res.

Personally I like Sheal/Eth "Rhyme".

20% Increased Chance of Blocking
    40% Faster Block Rate
    All Resistances +25
    Regenerate Mana 15%
    Cannot Be Frozen
    50% Extra Gold From Monsters
    25% Better Chance Of Getting Magic Items

I was hoping to find Sheal's in NM and I have found several, started with Pledge shield in ActII normal.