Confession

Boulos

Diabloii.Net Member
Confession

I have to confess.

Last night, I was playing my only HC character. A lvl 53 Meteorb Sorcie in the Maggot Lair on NM. I somehow got surrounded by beetles. My life orb was down to a sliver. I didn't have any purple pots with me and panicked. I hit Esc. and exited the game. I've been playing this character as pure as possible. I mule stuff off of her with ATMA, but nothing goes onto her. I just feel so guilty about the Esc. exit. Does anyone have a suggestion for a pennance?

BabyLink

Diabloii.Net Member
This is amazing.

The very same thing happened to me. With the execption that i did Alt+f4 instead of save and exit. I don't mind this, afterall, the goal of a hc char is to live, right?

Cattleya

Diabloii.Net Member
Start a new character. :grin:

Seriously, starting a new character may help give you some perspective on how you feel about proceeding with your meteorb. You may decide that you don't want to give up the work you put into her and a little S&E isn't so bad, or you may decide that shes just not fun anymore. Either way, you don't have to make the decision right away. There are lots of characters out there to try in the meantime.

tartanasia

Diabloii.Net Member
Ive never seen save and exit as a bad thing. Its used all the time in realm play, so i dont see why it should be a biggy here.

Llathias

Banned
If you feel bad about using the S&E, you can always delete or retire the character. If you feel bad about NOT using the S&E, all you can do is slam your head on a wall!.. and cursing yourself... and playing an overpowered SC char to get revenge... and getting yourself a bottle of cold beer... and calling your mates... apparently, the head and wall combination was not the only option :rolleyes:

I'd definitely would use it. Better cheesy than dead! (and my skillz are not l33t enough to do it without practicing any arguable methods)

Boulos

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks for the support everybody. I guess it's not as bad to S&E as I originally thought. I won't make a habit of it, but taking a mulligan once in a while isn't the end of the world.

As to starting a new character...I will definitely do that. I've found some really decent Druid gear. I also found an Aldur's Rhythm last night, so I might start a Paladin as well. Those will be after Fluffy (my Meteorb) dies. The plan right now is to have only one HC character at a time. When one dies...I start a new one. That way, every HC character I have can be named Fluffy. :cool:

Sir Lister of Smeg

Diabloii.Net Member
Sometimes I panic and hit escape, but usually I don't save and exit straight away. I just sit staring for a while, look at the monsters that surround me and see whether I've got any options to get out alive. Now you mentoned you did not have any purples left, but I tend to put one finger on the purple button (usually 3), ready to press it after pressing escape again to return to the game. It often works, also, with a sorc you can try to teleport out, in the example you mentioned, unless it was in one of the chambers, only two could have surrounded you. In that case, you won't get put into hit recovery continuously and thus can teleport the hell out of there. However, when really surrounded, teleport often fails, especially if it's an extra fast mana burn bosspack. Still, even then it can work, and drinking a few red potions in a row can fill your life bulb quite fast, also drinking blues in between just to get back to teleporting ability can work.
Note that all this was in softcore, I did not yet play a hardcore sorc afaik, but I must say I got out alive without saving and exiting far more often than I expected. Nevertheless, when without purples I think I'd go the save and exit route as well in hardcore, unless it was of course early normal. Still, to prevent things like these reoccurring, don't teleport too much, but clear everything on your way. You don't need to do full clears (although I'm sure Jiansonz and Alterego disagree), but at least make sure nothing comes at your back.

Kombat Wombat

Diabloii.Net Member
Boulos, I'm sure that you've already heard enough of how S&E is ok for hc play but just in case you still feel guilty for having used it, consider:

On the realms, S&E is standard practice for all hardcore characters. Even blizzard suggests using it as means of avoiding a hc death:

Players of Hell difficulty Realm games are hereby warned that a new, challenging world-event has been added to Diablo II version 1.10. Players of Hardcore characters should be even more wary when encountering superunique monsters during an active world event. Be prepared to execute a hasty Save and Exit, if your situation seems too dangerous.

And that of course comes from the patch info from 1.10.

sirpoopsalot

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with the consensus opinion - IMO, if you're not willing to die, don't play HC. Period.

I even feel that way if it's not a player mistake, but instead it's a bug/lag/whatever that's the cause of death.

DeathMaster

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with the consensus opinion - IMO, if you're not willing to die, don't play HC. Period.

I even feel that way if it's not a player mistake, but instead it's a bug/lag/whatever that's the cause of death.

Long time not posted. What was changed since the last HC + S&E "debate"?

I think it really depends, if it is user mistake (eg. blind teleport into unknown), than this is simple "cheating" HC. Blind tele and hope nothing bad will happen has no place in HC.

IMO, the one most important thing anyone "must" accept in HC:

The normal rackless SC play style must go, or stay away from HC. Playing HC means either don't risk or accept the death for your own mistake.

Cheers,

nex

Diabloii.Net Member
Better live coward than dead hero :smiley:

BTW save&exit on realms/mp actually requires some skill (fast thinking and reacting), in SP where esc pauses game it's much easier.

Diabloii.Net Member
I think its ok to use S&E in realm play, because game doesnt stop once you press esc. I still think its kinda cheesy , but nothing serious. In Sp however , game stops once you press esc, giving you unlimited time to think and exit. I never used this "feature" and im not planning to. My assassin died to hell ancients , and well , i could have easily used S&E to avoid death. I play HC because of the challenge , and if you use S&E it takes away big part of it. Anyway , this is just my humble opinion, feel free to do as you like. After all , we play to have fun :smiley:

P.s I always collect any rejuv potions that drop from the very start and cube them to FRJ potions. By the start of NM i usually have about 50 of them stashed. :smiley:

Leinad

Diabloii.Net Member
I did the same thing at first, and realized how incredibly lame I felt since I circumvented death in an artificial way, instead just playing smarter in the game proper. So I just went on to give them glorious deaths.

It made me come to this realization: what's the point of playing HC if you're going to S&E whenever things get a little tense? That's what SC is for. SC is meant for players to live another day. HC is not. I'm sorry, but those who play like this (and I was one of them) haven't made a real commitment to playing HC.

If you manage to attain Guardian status knowing you went the S&E route, even once, how will you feel about your achievement?

Kombat Wombat

Diabloii.Net Member
IMO, the one most important thing anyone "must" accept in HC:

The normal rackless SC play style must go, or stay away from HC. Playing HC means either don't risk or accept the death for your own mistake.
That's fine that you have this opinion, but really it all depends on how you want to play. Saying that those of who use S&E in hc should stop playing is being abrasive.

In my post I only suggested to Boulos a reason why saving and exiting maybe acceptable, but I never said it was a golden rule.

Hp_Sauce

Diabloii.Net Member
Fluxing on b.net is still risky because of the lag factor. I had no qualms about using it when I played there, In fact the thought that it wasn't "right" never even crossed my mind. I guess it starts as a tool to use to avoid Lag deaths, and PK/TPPK deaths, and then it expands.

Now that I've switched to SP HC it has occurred to me that it might not be "right" (mostly thanks to you people mentioning it!). There is one reason I can see that makes it different in SP then on b.net

Hitting escape in SP pauses the game instantly giving you plenty of time to decided what to do next, but on b.net you still have to navigate to the S&E button while your character is standing helplessly in the background (probably in a large mob). It is my opinion that this split second difference (the time it takes to get to S&E and click/hit enter can in fact be the difference between life or death.

On b.net you often have to drink a full juv before you hit esc, or try to somewhat remove yourself from the danger if only for a second before you hit esc and render your character motionless and helpless. In SP it seems that all you would have to do is mash the upper right side of your keyboard and then you have all the time in the world to calm down and make your next move (i.e. click the S&E button rather then the Options menu).

Having said that I think that personally I will still use the S&E option when playing Single Player because it's my personal view that if Bliz didn't want it in the game they would have programmed it out, and I also prefer to live will use any tactic in my tool box to do it. I mean god didn't design us with helmets but some of us still chose to wear them to help save our lives.

So far it hasn't come up however, as my only SP death so far occurred while I had a beer in my esc key pressing hand so the option wasn't really there.

I of course have no intentions of forcing my opinion on those who don't S&E.

-hps

Boulos

Diabloii.Net Member
Just for the record, I don't plan on using S&E as a normal crutch. If I happen to get killed in the course of adventuring, then so be it. It was a one-time thing for me. A moment of 'weakness' if you will. :)

I may be strange (no comments please), but I get a small rush when my HC character dies. Maybe it's because I really like the early stages of a new character and knowing that my HC died, I would be starting a new one.