Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Condi Speaks!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by maccool, Mar 30, 2004.

1. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

Condi Speaks!

So, Condi Rice will testify. Interesting. Linky

Does this count as a flip-flop for the Bush administration :lol:

2. advil

advil IncGamers Member

i'm not really surprised. clarke pretty much ate them alive on the sunday talk shows... they couldn't let that fester any more. a flip-flop tho? *snicker* politics trump principles yet again. go figure... :D

clarke's supposedly gonna be on the daily show tonight, btw. :)

3. Hippie Holocost

Hippie Holocost IncGamers Member

Ha.... Rice final testifies publicy and it still isn't looked at as good...

Libs bash Rice and the White House for not testifying publicly, then they accuse the administration of flip-flopping when they give into public pressure......HA....

4. Freemason

Freemason Banned

Which Clarke? The one that lied before congress in '02 or the one that lied before congress in '04? He told two different stories under oath. One story is a lie. Which one is it?

Dr. Rice is making a huge mistake. She's breaking a precedence that even Clarke didn't violate. He once was called up in front of congress and cited the separation of powers. But since she is going to do this anyway, Clarke is going to be shown for the putz and liar he is.

And no mac, this isn't flip flopping. She's going to make Clarke take out his pecker and stomp on it.

5. Geeno

Geeno IncGamers Member

Yeah thats a pretty stupid thing to accuse them of flip flopping. Thats a stupid term anyways. You cant ridicule someone for not doing something, then ridicule them changing their mind when they finally do it. Thats called *****-assing.

6. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

Well, since I'm not a 'lib', I won't get upset at the implication. But it is nice to see the typical response from our conservative friends; blame, blame, blame. I was getting worried there for a second.

Smeg, care to elaborate on this 'precedent'? National Security Advisors have testified to Congress before. Sandy Berger during the reign of Clin-Ton and Carter's guy, sorry, forgot his name. Separation of powers is a cop-out. I wish she'd stuck by her guns

The whole thing strikes me as funny seeing as how Bush set up the commission in the first place. Well, no one said politics make sense.

7. advil

advil IncGamers Member

if it's so clear-cut that clarke's a liar under oath, why not charge him with perjury?

bill frist claims portions of clarke's previous testimony under oath contradict his recent testimony in front of the 9/11 committee, but some dems privy to that (classified) testimony disagree (shocking, i know). clarke himself maintains that both appearances are truthful, and he challenged the administration during his sunday appearance on russert's show to declassify the entire text of his first appearance to demonstrate that, rather than cherry-pick certain portions that make them look good and him look bad.

absent his complete testimony from the '02 appearance, the lying accusation is nothing more than character assassination. keep up the good work smeg. :)

edit: i don't think the recent decision should really be considered a flip-flop, either. was amused that mac framed it that way, tho. :)

8. Hippie Holocost

Hippie Holocost IncGamers Member

Ack, here we go.... Maccool, I know you are not a "lib" but it sounds like you are taking the liberal argument on this one, please don't get upset.....geez...

Mac, don't forget that she already talked to the comission for four hours... it just wasn't in front of a camera. If you find it truly important that you see every dull moment of the hearing then I guess todays your lucky day. But since I have a small amount of faith in the commision, since they are my repersentitives technically, then I have little problem with treating them like big boys and girls and not watching over them. Follow??

The funny thing is that most of the people that have been crying out for Condi Rice to testify are liberals. What they don't realize is that her testimony will further erode Clarkes shaky credibilty.

And of COURSE Bush wanted the hearing, in his opnion, and mine, 9/11 should not be blamed on Bush but on the Clinton Admin. (but I'm sure you already knew that :howdy: )

9. advil

advil IncGamers Member

mac, regarding berger and carter's guy (i'm not even gonna try and spell his name w/o looking it up), the bushies are claiming that they didn't testify regarding current presidential policy, whereas that'll be what's at issue when rice goes in front of this committee. whether you buy that or not's another matter, but that's the distinction.

10. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

Thanks for pointing out the distinction, Advil. Seems an awful fine point to split hairs on, though.

Oh, and thanks for seeing the humor in the flip-flop comment. Nice to see that not everyone gets all uptight during a potentially 'spirited' political debate.

11. Freemason

Freemason Banned

It's looking like that might just happen.

He can't have it both ways. So which is it? Either Pres. Bush did or did not take the necessary steps to combat terrorism. Since Clarke failed to do anything with results in his 8 years working for Clinton I'm not inclined to believe he knows what he's talking about.

I'm just pointing out he told two completely different stories while under oath. One of them has to be a lie.

12. Carnage-DVS

Carnage-DVS IncGamers Member

I was just thinking about this last night and wondering how our conservatives would act. Same as ever. Blame Clinton, blame Clarke, blame everyone who isn't a conservative.

13. Freemason

Freemason Banned

OK, I'll give them some credit.

Randy Weaver's wife
    Branch Dividians
    1993 WTC bombing
    Somolia
    Murrah Building
    Two embassies blown up
    USS Cole

I'll give them credit for that

14. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

U.S. Marine Barracks, Beruit, 1983

You managed to leave that one out, Smeg. Guess Reagan was soft on terrorism too.

15. advil

advil IncGamers Member

what about the millenium attacks?

there actually is a nice record of anti-terror accomplishments under clinton, that was detailed in part during berger's and clarke's testimony last week. naturally it's easier to focus on the failures...

edit: not only did reagan allow that to happen, but he never retaliated for it. and left the region, a la spain (zapatero's proposal to leave iraq)...

16. Carnage-DVS

Carnage-DVS IncGamers Member

I smell a sidestep coming~

17. Freemason

Freemason Banned

One instance. You neglected to mention the busy schedule of SEAL Team Six after 1981. They spent as much time abroad doing their dirty deeds as they did at home. Lots of dead terrorists :thumbsup:

18. llad12

llad12 IncGamers Member

The fun and games continue ... :rant:

19. Underseer

Underseer IncGamers Member

MacCool, are you sure you're not thinking of Reagan's national security advisor John Poindexter? He testified, was convicted of five charges as a result of his testimony, then received a convenient full pardon by the next Republican president.

20. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

Nah, I was thinking of Zbigniew Brzezinski (had to check the spelling :lol: ). In the context of the whole precedent claim that advil filled me in on, Berger and Brzezinski are the only cats who qualify.