Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

concerning updates

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by TheMythe, Sep 26, 2010.

1. TheMythe

TheMythe Diablo: IncGamers Member

concerning updates

The bad thing about different fora is that we take 1 quote (from Bashiok) and we keep on discussing that instead of looking for quote-updates which might/will render an entire debate pointless.

Here was an update on the lvl 60 cap:

You're right, we could have 120 levels and you only get a skill point every other level, which we think feels crappy.

We don't care if other games use 60. Diablo 1 used 50. D&D uses 20. WotLK is 80. Fallout 3 uses 30 (with an expansion). At what number are we not overlapping with another game, and at what point do we stop making decisions just so people don't compare us with other titles, and at what point do we stop caring and start making decisions that make a better game?

It's possible that later on we find out that we need to go to 70 to fit all the content we're producing. Or lower it to 50 to compact skill power. We're choosing the level cap based on what fits the game, and that could change, but at no point are we going to look at another game and purposefully do something different for the sake of being different, or do something exactly the same for the sake of nostalgia.

On account of D3 ladders:

I don't know I think those kinds of things can be fun, but maybe as more specific bonuses for celebrations. I think it would be cooler though if for like, say an anniversary weekend, monsters are tougher or drop better loot or something. Sounds cool to me, no plans I'm aware of that would support such functionality but you never know.

I think it's fun to have a reason to log in maybe even if you haven't played in a while. It's a good way to keep interest up without having to patch in new content or something.

On system requirements:

Eek. Yeah a $700 laptop probably wouldn't cut it, mostly just because you're probably not going to find one with a great video card. Gaming laptops are pretty expensive.

Now if you had built a $700 desktop a year ago, I don't think you'd have any problem running StarCraft II.

And spending $2000 on a desktop, watercooling it, whatever, that's cool and all, but overkill.

Also, if you really want to just play Diablo III with this thing, wait until we officially announce system requirements.

On game intensity:

You can solo the entire game.

If you're in a multiplayer game you will need to stick together or you will die.

On account of 'what to do after lvl 60:

The core game content is all going to play out in Normal, as it should. Specifically for skills that means you have access to all class skills (in most cases) before you beat the game the first time.

The experience curve to 60 isn't going to be a perfect three playthroughs of the game on each difficulty. It's of course expected you'll be exiting and then starting up new games, but it isn't intended to be a grind to level. The number of levels is intended to match the amount of content. Meaning when you beat the game on Hell, yes we expect you to be around level 60. Maybe you're a level or two shy, or maybe you've been 60 for a while, depending on how you played.

As far as the e-peen meter goes for showing off a higher level character, we think a proper achievement system is much better at this. There's more variety, they're more interesting and compelling for people to work toward. One important point of note is that our achievements are cross-character, meaning we can give achievements for things like leveling 5, 10... hell, 20 characters to 60. Certainly a bigger feat than a level 99, and we can give tangible rewards for it too.

Last and hopefully least:

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/6485/unicornshootey8.jpg

Please (I beg you) say this isn't the replacement of the secret cow level, but instead a photoshop?

PS: If some or all of the above was already familiar than it can be disregarded fore I am of course not the only one browsing through fora.

2. lone_wolf

lone_wolf Diablo: IncGamers Member

Re: concerning updates

sorry themythe but i dont really see something new with this... most of us has already seen all of those posts it dont change a thing.

so far they have said everyone will be lev 60 or near it just by playing through the game. That to many like me is:

1: way to easy, everyone and their grandma will be lev 60 in no time flat(that is my fear at least)

2: Means we will have nothing but mf runs and the whole unannounced end game remains to be played once your 60.

Ladders i have never cared about so i dont even think about it. For those that do one of the reasons they played the game each ladder is gone. Unless they bring some other ladder function to the game.

the system reqs are no news blizzards system reqs has always been a joke to handle. diablo 3 wont be any different then the other games. if you have a 5 year old desktop computer you will be able to play it unless you chosen the crappiest graphic card ever for you computer.

As for intensity the devs also called hell in diablo 2 hard we know what that meant in reality....

the cross character achievement is at least to me a joke. If i enjoy diablo 3 as much as i done diablo 2 i wont be making 20 characters and take them to lev 60 i will make easily triple that amount. heck i made more versions and remakes of certain builds in diablo 2 then a mere 20 st.

So far i seen nothing intresting planned for endgame but i hope we will see something new during blizzcon.

the last one is a photoshop dont remember when it was first posted but if i recall right it was a apart of the art debate.

3. Moonfrost

Moonfrost Diabloii.Net Member

I read a while ago (one of the blue posts from around August 20ish?) that gambling is currently NOT in the game. I haven't seen anyone mention it here since so either nobody saw it or nobody cares.

Still, I found it interesting though rather expected, given they've already hinted that they've merged crafting and gambling in D3.

4. Apocalypse

Apocalypse Diabloii.Net Member

i hope they dont replace the cow level but instead just remove it. the cow level was one of the worst ideas they ever had. it took a big fat dump on any lore diablo might try to have and just did not belong in the game. if they wanna make a level with huge packs of mobs to mow down i beg them please use actual monsters and not something stupid this time

5. Glass

Glass Diabloii.Net Member

The leveling experience is always going to stop somewhere because the real game is the item hunt

Once you've played a game for 10 years it usually becomes pretty easy, even on the hardest modes.

We also have types of content that Diablo II did not have. That'll remain mysterious for now.

6. lone_wolf

yes glass but that dont tell us anything about the difficulty of getting there. That the leveling experience has to stop somewhere is simple logic so that is not even an answer.

True i played since the demo and that is also the reason i dont play any longer, to much flaws in diablo 2.

teases dont count as something intresting

7. Apocalypse

lol of course D2 has flaws, its a really old game. you expect it to be fresh and up to date now? these so called mistakes of D2 were fine back then now they are just outdated ways of doing things, not really mistakes

8. lone_wolf

apoc you are aware that we have had bugs that have been reported in diablo 2 for more then 5 years but blizzard has ignored them all the time?

that is a mistake not a old way to do things.

And no i dont expect it to be fresh and up to date i do however hope the devs of diablo 3 will at least try to not ship a bug ridden game(diablo 2).

9. sirroman

sirroman Diabloii.Net Member

Why don't make this some kind of "easy to find quote database"? Or do we have some of that in the wiki?

10. lone_wolf

dont think so its an excellent idea though :thumbsup:

11. Apocalypse

if you want a game without bugs then you pretty much need to stop playing games. D3 will ship with bugs no matter how long they test it for. without some sort of monthly fee who is to say how long they should even support the game for? i think people expect far too much from a single 50/60 dollar purchase

12. Flux

Flux Administrator

Well, everything gets posted in main page news items, and is debated furiously in the comments. The theory with forums is that they're useful for deeper, more specialized discussion, over longer periods of time. And of course that you don't rely on the mods to start discussion topics.

Ideally, everyone in a forum thread knows all the current info, from the news and the wiki, and can pull in citations to buffer their arguments. In reality, lots of forum posters aren't cognizant of the most recent updates, or conversely, something Jay Wilson said in an interview 18 months ago, which can lead to talking at cross purposes.

That's unavoidable. We can't force everyone to read every bit of news on the main page, we can't keep every wiki page 100% instantly updated, and no one can remember everything that's ever been said during the game's development.

We are but filthy meat units with insufficient ROM.

13. Apocalypse

hey speak for youself buddy i am an advanced model :smug: