Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Concerning Slow time spell...

Discussion in 'Wizard' started by TheMythe, Jul 28, 2010.

1. TheMythe

TheMythe Diablo: IncGamers Member

Concerning Slow time spell...

Heya folks,

I'm new here and I was reading up on all the wizard posts. I do this because in D3, the same will happen as in D2 or D1, the wizard will rule supreme in the end!

Okay, enough wizard promotion for now :)

As I was reading through it all, 1 hypothetical question kept me going.

What if...

*assuming (end)bosses are immune to slow time*

1)You take 2 wizards and set them each at a side of a monster.
    2)Each wizard creates a Slow time bubble.
    3)Both wizards are close enough to the other for the bubbles to have an overlapping field, (in where the monster is).

Do we now have a slowslowed monster, to the point that it can hardly move/attack/cast at all?

If Slow time spell stacks coming from different casters, than I think (if properly trained in this tactic) they'll own everything in the field, providing the enemy won't come in zounds of numbers.

Now gimme all your love/hate on this question please.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  2. Cwicseolfor

Cwicseolfor IncGamers Member

Re: Concerning Slow time spell...

Given the amount of teamwork that would require and that it disables rather than kills the monster I don't think Blizzard would have a problem with that happening any more than they had a problem with the Necromancer's Bone Prison spells.

3. Ex oh Ex Oh

Ex oh Ex Oh Banned

I don't think if 2 Wizzys casted Slow Time it would double slow them.

4. TheMythe

Owkay, might want to add an argument there Ex....

5. Ex oh Ex Oh

Ex oh Ex Oh Banned

Damn I said something twice, how do I delete :O

6. TheMythe

Yeah well, thanks for clearing that up... :þ

*Notices a lighthearted sarcasm detector going off*

7. Iconic Demise

Iconic Demise IncGamers Member

I'm interested about how the time slowing mechanic would function in PvP? Would it be subjected to player-based restrictions, or would it function normally and be considered "BM"? I predict some really interesting combinations for wizards in PvP because of the glass canon-like format of the character.

8. Tidolwav

Tidolwav IncGamers Member

Any kind of conversation is almost moot when it comes down to PvP in Diablo 3, they haven't even started developing the PvP world, let alone finish the PvM worlds/acts/levels.

Although I would imagine the Slow Time spell to be similar to Holy Freeze's radius where everything in the area is slowed down, but the aura doesn't move, so imagine if you will having the ability to throw your aura (Holy Freeze) on the ground and any enemy that goes by it or in it slows down within the allocated time. That's at least what I would picture it as, if I had to compare it to something Diablo II.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  9. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

Wouldn’t release be much sooner if you didn’t have to take months to balance skills for the PvP game?

Bashiok: No.

Alright, I’ll elaborate!

The PvP game is being developed alongside everything else, so it’s not as if the game is done and we’re ready to ship it but then stop and take a few months to balance things. Also, it’s to be expected that the game won’t be and won’t really need to be balanced right at release as it will take some time for people to really explore and begin reaching competition levels where more extreme balance is necessary or even possible for us to properly evaluate and react to.
    We've known for a while that PvP is being done as the game is being done.

EDIT: Link

10. Tidolwav

Okay let me rephrase that then, discussing PvP is moot, because we know nothing about PvP, as they have said nothing about it.

:)

11. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

We don't have to know much about pvp to speculate on how the skills intermingle. D3 may or may not have the 1/6th we have in D2. It may need it, it may need to be higher. That's what we don't know.

Slow Time being a threat for melee and casters (slow missiles + decrep basically) is a valid thing to discuss. We can come up with ways around it (furious charge seems fast enough to still work.), possible limits placed (slow% player penalty?), player immunity, etc.

12. Tidolwav

But the fact remains that we know nothing about it, and therefore will have nothing, Diablo 3 is bringing something new to the tables, so you can't necessarily use what we know now to form an opinion, since they're creating Diablo 3 from the ground up. That being said, it's good to come up with ideas, but when people speculate too much it turns into hopes and hopes can be shattered if Blizzard has something else in store.

13. cacophony

cacophony IncGamers Member

There's nothing wrong w/ speculation, as long as it is more of a theoretical discussion and less on hard numbers. We can simplify things, take them as essences, and then use that framework to "build" a PvP world around and guess on how it might actually work in the real game.

Let's take this Slow Time thing. In any PvP/RPG game w/ different classes, they almost always have the melee and ranged archetypes. The melee archetype likes to get in close to his/her enemies, while the ranged archetype wants to keep distance. If we take the most simple example, i.e., no control skills whatsoever, the fight becomes very binary and boring; either the ranged character can blow up the melee fighter before s/he reaches him/her, or the melee fighter will pound the ranged character into dirt. In order to make this a little more interesting, the melee fighter and the ranged fighter need active skills to be able to control the fight and set up conditions in their favor. Slow Time is a natural kite spell, keeping a melee character stuck and slowed while the wizard can run, turn and fire. Of course, there needs to be some balance; a cooldown to keep her from chain-snares is probably enough for most cases. If you give another character a hard-counter to it (example, barbarian Furious Charge is immune w/ a rune or something to that effect), then you start to see the "arms race" of control that plagues a lot of other games, including WoW. You have stuns and snares, then counters, then counter-counters, then passive counters, passive anti-counter measures, and so on and so on.

TLDR: We can speculate on what would work and what wouldn't (and why), w/o using numbers. Also, Slow Time w/ a cooldown should be enough, w/ balance work going on around duration, cooldown, intensity, and then linking that to overall wizard DPS. It's not easy, but that's easier than setting off a counter/anti-counter arms race over control skills.

14. TheMythe

TLDR=?

Good post though :)

I think there can be only cast 1 slowtime bubble at a time, as long as it is up, no other can be created by the same wizard. That is the cooldown period from what I gathered from the gameplay video. Still it would be real nice to know the effect of 2 wizards casting an overlapping bubble. We'll see when the beta starts me thinks...

15. cacophony

cacophony IncGamers Member

TLDR means Too Long, Didn't Read, and was a short summary for those too lazy to read the whole post.

Also, my personal preference would be that bubble duration > bubble cooldown, in case something pops up unexpectedly. When you summon the new bubble, the old disappears immediately. Still have to have some reasonable cooldown, or else you can snare someone indefinitely (keep summoning bubbles at x, x + 2 yards, x + 4 yards, etc).

I think the other critical thing, which Blizz has given us no indication over, is how the overall PvP balance is going to be handled party wise. Will they balance it 1v1? 2v2? 4v4? Party synergies? This is all stuff they need to discuss at some point.

16. TheMythe

I bet the upcoming blizzcon will explain alot. Maybe even sooner at the gamescon.

BTW: Jeebus what a bunch of fake diablo 3 vids on youtube, some folks are just plain sad! :(

17. Wolfpaq777

Wolfpaq777 Well-Known Member

I would be very surprised if slow time stacks. With 4 sorcs you could basically have a large group of monsters completely frozen for the duration of the spell, as well as whatever group pvp ramifications this would have.

18. Neltharion

Neltharion IncGamers Member

Too bad you can only have 4 players in a game. With enough Wizards casting Slow Time you could write down actual words on the ground.

:lol2:

19. TheMythe

Why not just drop goldpieces on the ground for word writing...

20. Neltharion

Neltharion IncGamers Member

Because that would be not as cool!