Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Concerning my Meteorb Sorc

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Lantern Sky, May 21, 2008.

1. Lantern Sky

Lantern Sky IncGamers Member

Concerning my Meteorb Sorc

Hey guys new to the forum but not to D2. Decided that I would make D2 my game for this summer so naturally I started out making an MF Sorc and I went with meteorb. She's up to lvl 80 right now with the following gear...

Shako (p topaz)
    Occy (still looking for an ist)
    Perfect AP CoH
    Spirit (monarch
    2x Sojs
    Perfect Maras
    Frostburns
    War Travellers
    35 Gheeds
    and some random unique belt that likes to cast blizzard when I get hit sometimes

i don't think i missed anything but thats +13 to skills so she is a diesel little sorc. I actually solo'd the hell ancients with her (lvl 77) last night with my friend waiting in town.

Right now my skill points are as follows

Fireball 10
    Meteor 20
    Fire mastery 16
    Frozen Orb 20
    Cold Mastery 10
    Shiver Armor 1
    Static Field 1
    and prereqs

I have done all the skill quests so I only have 19 skill points left assuming I take her to 99. Which I want to. When I reach 84 I will have maxed fire mastery and will be scratching my head as to what to do with the the remaining fifteen skill points. I don't think I want to max fireball because the fire tree will be powerful enough at that point so I'm looking back at the cold tree. what do you guys think would be more beneficial for strengthening my orb. Maxing Cold Mastery or putting 9 points into ice bolt (for the synergy) and then possibly putting the last 6 into shiver armor to get more defense?
    Its a hard call for me because the cold mastery doesn't add to damage it just lowers enemies resistances to cold. OR should I just ball out and and put a point in each of the useful skills in the light tree so I crack the heads of the those pesky fire and cold immunes? That would only take 6 points which could leave me with 9 to raise ice bolt to 10. i wonder what the lightning and Cl damage would be with CB, Nova, Lightning, CL, and Light Mastery all at 14.

Finally I have been tanking vit but right now even with my gear my dex is just over 50 should I put some of my last skill points in dex and get it up to 100 so I can actually have a decent chance of blocking or should i keep pumping vit? Thanx in advance for all your help!

2. ProfessionalBerg

ProfessionalBerg IncGamers Member

Re: Concerning my Meteorb Sorc

My suggestions:

1. Get Full Tal's. Really, there is no reason not to use it on a dual-elemental Sorceress. It's the best multi-tree item setup out there, period. The orb alone is like putting in 3 of each perfect facet in your gear (except poison) - where else will you get such a huge boost?

2. If you don't have it, get a 35 FCR Spirit Monarch and Magefists - those, coupled with Full Tal's, will give you 105 FCR, which is quite benefical to teleporting and spamming Fireballs. As of now, 45-55 FCR, and that is sloooow. It provides nowhere near enough safety when teleporting through the more dangerous areas like Durance lvl 2 when it's filled with Dolls, or, say, Worldstone Keep.

3. Skills: After you max Fireball (Your main spam spell! Max it early!), and Fire Mastery, pump Firebolt. It provides synergies to both Meteor and Fireball. Oh, and trust me, a good Meteorb will ALWAYS spam her Fireballs. They are excellent, much better than Meteor for most cases.

Maxing CM is an option, but not a very viable one, I think - FO is your backup skill vs Fire Immunes, not your main attack. However, it all boils down to preference - if you prefer to shower the place with FO, only occasionally FB'ing/Meteoring CI's, your choice...

Do not waste your time and skill points on armors, they are useless. Also, ignore the Lightning tree completely, save for Teleport and Static Field. Nowhere near enough points.

4. Pump vita. Spirit shield does not have +ICB (Increased Chance of Blocking), so you will have to put somewhere about 300 points in Dexterity by level 90 to get max block. Forget it.

P.S. If you think a Full Tal's sorc lacks MF, don't forget that after 300-350 MF, deminishing returns really kicks in, and you get less and less returns for each additional MF point. So, Ptopaz your helm and armor and put a Facet (or Ist) in your Orb. You can also use Gheed's Fortune and MF charms.

3. Lantern Sky

idk why people rep tals so much. i have used it on previous builds and I didn't really like it. My resistances were never high enough, I found the skill point bonuses lacking, and my mana pool was always lacking. I do understand that the mf is better with a tals set but thats about it. I'd rather pop ist into my occy and then combined with my gheeds and a couple other small mf charms i got have my mf up to around 280. a couple more mf charms and ill be up to 300 which is probably a safe place to be with mf.

I never really asked for gear recommendations but thanx anyway the info on the stat points was a great help I will continue to pump vit. As far as the skills go I use frozen orb as my main weapon. Fireball doesn't damage/kill enough people in one cast. if you got a room full of enemies why kill the couple that are standing beside each other when you can send an orb straight into the pack with a possibility of killing people in its path and damaging everyone else in the room? My strategy is lower their numbers with FO and then clean up the cold immunes with fireball or meteor. I don't see any benefit to maxing out fireball it already kills all the cold immunes I have met in hell and mephisto isn't exactly dancing in the flames of my meteor. Thats why I'm looking to spend my skill points in another tree.

4. ProfessionalBerg

Your choice, really. I was just giving advice based on personal experience.

As for +skills lacking on full Tal's: +skills is not everything. Tal Orb provides a huge bonus to all skill trees, namely -fire res, -light res and +cold damage. They provide a HUGE advantage against resistant enemies. For example, simply using Tal's Set versus mephisto increases your damage against him by a whopping SIXTY PERCENT (he has 75% resists, and a tal's orb lowers to 60%, which means you deal 40% damage versus 25% damage: 40/25=1.6). You need like +10 skills to beat that advantage versus Mephisto. Same goes for Frozen Orb: +15% cold damage benefits it alot more than +skills. Average damage increase per level of FO is around 12. Tal's Orb provides +15% damage. Let's assume a FO damage of 400 (that's around how much it is with Full Tal's and Spirit). 15% of 400 is 60. You get +60 damage, which is equal to +5 to all skills.

If you've tried Full Tal's and didn't like it, you probably did something wrong. Full Tal's Meteorb is one of the main cookie-cutters, you know. As for resists: With Spirit and Full Tal's I have max resists all except for Fire and Poison. Add in a Torch and/or Anni, and you have max res in Hell.

Also, while Frozen Orb does cover a huge area, Fireball kills way faster. You need several casts of FO to kill an enemy, and with 1-second delay, it means 5-6 seconds per mob back. You only need 1-2 fireballs to kill your average damage, and you can cast Fireballs at a rate of 7 frames per cast (105 FCR) = 3,5 Fireballs per second. A very good room cleaner.

5. MYK

MYK Diablo: IncGamers Member

Finish up maxing Fire Mastery and Fireball. After that, if your Cold Mastery is about level 17 then pump up the fire skills some more. Meteor is a way better Boss Killer, so Frozen Orb only needs enough -%res for regular monsters.

The Ice Bolt synergy kind of sucks, I wouldn't bother much with it.

I'd trade in the Snowclash belt for a Thundergod's Vigor if you can. The cold belt isn't terribly useful, but lightning absorb is always handy.

And I don't really like Full Tal's either. :p

6. Lantern Sky

I did not know how the -res to elements worked on the tal orb but I'm sure somewhere along the line I'll have full tals set and I'll try it out but I'm not going to speculate anymore how it will work compared to my current setup and like I said before I didn't ask for equipment recommendations so lets stay on topic.

Snowclash is not a permanent piece of equipment on my char I would rather have arachnids or thundergods. As for fireball....

Right now my sorc is firing out a orb that is rated at 496 damage per shard and since there are 40 shards every time you cast that puts the total damage of my orb up to 19,840 dmg. Right now my fireball does 2800-3000. Even if I could cast 5 fireballs during the total cast and cool down time of the orb that still only puts me at 15,000 (at best) which is separated into 5 concentrated areas. It seems stupid to use the fireball as a primary weapon when the orb is literally stopping (freezing) enemies in their tracks and doing more total damage.

The only reason i would max fireball is if my Meteor was lacking but it isn't its doing just fine killing Meph. I don't think I can do Diablo runs because there are fire and ice immunes that spawn from the seals and Diablo won't appear unless you kill all the seal spawned monsters. This is why I mentioned possibly putting 6 points total in lightning and its synergies so that I could actually have a light attack for killing those fire and ice immunes. I don't care how many times I have to cast the lightning because by the time I take on the one fire and cold immune monster in the pack I will have killed all his buddies so he would be the only one I'm concentrating on. I'm going to take some time here to calculate what my lightning damage would be if I did that.

7. krisjeh

krisjeh IncGamers Member

somewhy people always tend to underestimate tals. as stated before, it is the best for a dual-tree sorceress. the -res on the orb will give a huge boost, along with great resists and the fcr breakpoint that you hit with magefists for example. sure perfect fathom along with perfect nightwing's would top out a tals set, but your resists will be crappy and your magic find will suffer a lot.

8. lumpor

lumpor IncGamers Member

Proffesional berg is right. -enemy resistance and +skill damage is way better than +skills

9. Lantern Sky

I'm really starting to lose my patience. When someone asks you for the time do you give them the weather?

I can't believe right after I said that twice you two would chime in with your 2 cents on the tals set.

I will say it for the third and final time I NEVER ASKED FOR AN EQUIPMENT RECOMMENDATION!

I was just asking about skill and stat point allocation for my final levels but instead I got a bunch of *** clowns telling me that I should switch to tals. Pardon me Mr. Mod but three strikes and I get pissed.

10. ProfessionalBerg

Well, skill/stat point allocation depends alot on the equipment that you are going to wear. Pardon me, but I just tried to set you "on the right path" and reconsider your equipment choices, thus rethinking your skills.

You are also wrong about FO. While it does shoot 40 shards, hardly ever half of them hit, and only when there are MANY enemies around. In most cases, especially in hallways, 70-80% of shards go to waste (unless you sweetspot, of course, in which case around 10-12 shards end up within one enemy). FO is also not the best boss killer, due to said waste of shards.

Trust me, I have a long experience with Meteorbs, and Fireball is my main killing skill - it kills way faster than Frozen Orb, except FI's and highly resistant enemies (4th Baal Wave). Thus, I tried to accentise the importancy of a good Fireball - with the right equipment (i.e. full Tal's), you will deal around 7-7,5k damage per hit, which means 24,5-26,25k damage per second, NOT WASTING your damage potential on surrounding walls. Also, don't forget the splash, in which case you can safely triple-quadruple said damage.

11. Lantern Sky

Fine so whats the going rate for a full set o tals these days?

12. Aspera

Aspera IncGamers Member

US West Coat Ladder
    Armor ~60
    Ammy ~30-40
    Orb ~4-15 on stats
    Helm ~3-4
    Belt ~ 5-8

Rough estimates.

13. ProfessionalBerg

About the same for Europe as well. Basically, amulet pul-um, armor mal, rest pgems except for a 2/2/2 Orb, which is then around lem.

14. AnimeCraze

AnimeCraze IncGamers Member

To people who suggest on maxing fire mastery, I recommend the opposite. Max fire ball, then add points into fire bolt. Read PhatTrumpet's synergy & mastery explained for why that would give more damage. If you really want to run Baal often, it doesn't hurt to add a few points into CM (though IMO 10 is plenty). This holds true whether you are using Tal's or not. And yes, fire ball should be your main skill. Even with my 645 orb damage and -110 enemy resist, it isn't faster than fire ball.

For dual immunes, your lightning damage will be crap with the amount of points you have. Just get a merc to kill them for you, or skip them if you must.

@Others: There's no reason to force a person to use full Tal's. Some people might just absolutely hate the color + glow, and some people just want to see bigger on screen damage. Yes, it is a finely balanced set, and it's the most powerful short of fathom + nightwings, but some people might just simply not like it.

@ProfessionalBerg: Your fire ball is only doing 7~7.5k damage? Mine is already doing 8k+ and I am only at lvl 85. I am also using Tal's and have no skillers other than anni + torch either. (my skillers are all cold, to buff up cold damage for chaos + baal runs)

Last edited: May 22, 2008
  15. ProfessionalBerg

Hmm, I dunno. I max Fire Mastery right now, and I also made a mistake of going for Energy shield, so I kinda wasted 4 skill points.

16. Lantern Sky

Got full tals for a soj last night don't know if i lucked out on that trade or not. I also pulled magefist off my mule. I see what you mean about the FCR but as expected my mana pool drains a lot quicker. Nevertheless I'm going to keep it on because I want to trade all of her old gear in for hammerdin gear (got Nigma 4 CoH last night) so that I can start doing key runs and kill D Clone because none of my chars have anni.

I also Ist'd the orb and P topaz'd the helm, it didn't seem right to waste an Ist for just 1% more mf. Besides if I'm counting correctly I now have roughly 310. Didn't do a whole lot of lvling last night I only got her to 82 but I guess I will start maxing fireball since she is now popping them out like a minigun.

EDIT: Oh yeah and even though I lost 3 points in each skill (-minus the masteries where i only lost 1) it seems like my over all damage has stayed the same if not improved.

17. sterces48

sterces48 IncGamers Member

I definitely advise Fireball much like everyone else already has. It's easily the spell I use the most. I enjoy Pit runs and if I'm standing still, I have FO on cooldown and Fireballs going out in between. I don't have an Insight merc either.

In terms of gear, I love my setup:
    Shako w/Um
    Occy
    Tal's Armor w/ PTop
    Tal's Ammy
    Tal's Belt (15% MF)
    Chance Guards (27% MF)
    War Trav (44% MF)
    Spirit Monarch (33% FCR)
    Nagelring (27%)
    Rare ring with FCR, Mana, Res, 14% MF

I have no skills charms, a druid torch (lol), a gheed's and some assorted 5% or 6% mf SCs... I run Andy, Countess, Pits, Meph, Summoner, Pindle, Eldritch, and Shenk... all with ease.

Skills:
    20 FO
    8 CM

20 Meteor
    20 Fireball
    9-10 Fire Mastery (I forgot exactly which)
    6-8 Firebolt (again, forgot)

I just hit level 85 last night. My meteor hits for 8k-8.5k. My fireball for 3k-3.5k. My FO hits for 350ish I think. I have no trouble killing anything I run into.

I know this was kinda just talking about my guy, but I think if you're looking for where to go with your own build, telling you mine can help. Oh, and I use the second armor not the first because I actually like the Freeze component.

18. ProfessionalBerg

Hmm, sterces, your Fireball/Meteor damage is unusually low for a Tal's using Meteorb. Are you sure about those numbers?

Lantern Sky, to know whether you lucked out or messed up badly on buying full Tal's for a SOJ, we need to know realm/Ladder-nonladder. If you are ladder, you most likely got ripped though.

19. Lantern Sky

Well my girl has got a Spirit shield so that should be a dead give away....

Ladder

The Orb has +2 for all the masteries
    The belt unfortunately only has 10 mf (could have had 15) but it has 39 def (max is 40)
    The Armor was def 931 (max 941)
    The helm had 121 def (max 131)
    it all came without sockets

I think thats a pretty high set of tals.

20. ProfessionalBerg

Well, the armor this high costs a bit higher than normal, yes. But don't you forget that defense matters very little on Tal's set, especially on items like belt and mask. I suggest you get a high MF belt, no matter how little defense. I myself found all my Tal's pieces (except the ammy and the armor of course, I found an armor from Baal later, though :haha:), including the 2/2/2 orb.

BTW, is your Spirit 35 FCR? If not, I suggest swapping one of the rings for a 10FCR one until you get your hands on a 35 FCR Monarch. The difference between the achieving and not achieving the 105 FCR breakpoint is tremendous.