Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Concerning level restrictions...

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by TheMythe, Aug 13, 2010.

1. TheMythe

TheMythe Diablo: IncGamers Member

Concerning level restrictions...

I do not mean item restrictions (they'll be there anyway) but I mean an anti-shuttle approach in multiplayer.

From what I gathered in my D2-years, it was possible to gain XX levels just by touring with the 'big guys'...
    Will D3 be like this? Do you think that is the way to go and shuttle newbies?

I myself hope there'll be level restriction option upon creating a game.
    E.G. My toon is lvl 50 and Hell-mode is unlocked. Now when create a game for you to join, I get the option to choose:

minimumlvl = X
    maximumlvl = X

Where X cannot be a greater number than 9.
    I this way the minimumlvl = 41 and the maximumlvl = 59

This looks IMHO a highly feasable option. The big folks play together and the little folk got their own group. No more shuttling!

Ideas/comments/suggestions/flames/cookies, you got them, let me have it?!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  2. Flux

Flux Administrator

Re: Concerning level restrictions...

When the question of rushing has come up, the D3 team has said they want to prevent it being exploited, without limiting the ability of people to play together and have fun. And after all, it is fun to move a character ahead faster than the curve should allow, and to go back to earlier levels with a higher level character... sometimes. (Remember they days of chippie gem hunting?)

They've given no details, how they might limit or discourage this sort of behavior, though.

There are 2 obvious approaches. 1 the OP listed; setting hard limits by char level in the same game. Everyone could go easy or hard, but you'd all have to be around the same level.

The other obvious option is hard limits by game level. This is what D2 did (sort of) with the 20/40/60 req for doing the Ancients. Though work arounds to that were discovered, of course.

I think both of those are fairly blunt tools, and hope that they do something more subtle or adaptive in D3. What? Good question....

3. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

didnt D2 have a level restriction option? never used it myself but pretty sure it was there

4. Moonfrost

Moonfrost IncGamers Member

I don't think hard caps are the best solution to this kind of problem because there's a chance those might prevent legitimate non-combat scenarios (people meeting to trade, duel, record machinima etc).

A preferable solution would IMHO be something that doesn't strictly prevent people of different levels from playing together, but instead limits the rewards for doing so if the level difference is significant enough (as it probably would be when rushing is in question). Ideally, the best solution would be to make sure that playing at the "intended" level would always be the fastest way to level (maybe by applying passive XP gain buffs/debuffs) but that might be too optimistic. Instead, I think something like the following could work:

A. If a high level and low level player are playing together, the mobs difficulty would scale towards the former character's level, but the XP would scale towards that of the latter. So mobs would be hard to kill but wouldn't reward the lowbie with tons of XP.

B. XP could be awarded based on contribution. If a lowbie did 1% of the total damage needed to kill a high level mob, that lowbie would get 1% of the total XP. This would only apply if the level delta between two players was large enough (insert some arbitrary value here).​

In short, the closer two players are to each other in terms of character level, the more XP they'll get, and the other way around.

5. TheMythe

IMHO plan A is best because is lowbies can freely choose to join the highups at their own risk. No XP benefit is gained at least but the choice is upto them, a couple of friends can therefore still play together with the highups carrying the heavier burden :)

Plan B involves a really complex XP-reward system :(

6. Bad Ash

Bad Ash IncGamers Member

I dont think rushing is a bad thing. Why is it so awful? I have played the game for a looooooooong time and know every ins and outs. Sometimes I feel like grinding a new char and other times, hell no, I want to get to the good stuff: loot hunting. early on rushing shouldnt be there cause people should want to play the game, but after making a slew of chars, people should be able to do what they want

7. TheMythe

Hmmm, I'm in a doubt now. Personally I like RP more than rushing but I understand that everyone should be free to choose. I hope Blizzard has a nice idea to give both types of play a chance.

Maybe in the beginning (first few months of play) people will RP more to scope out all the different quests and random events there are + how to trigger them. After a while people will get a feel (fora/ingame/chats) for the game and know what=where than the farming begins. It is like that in every game, unavoidable but not a bad thing at all IMHO.

8. Moonfrost

Moonfrost IncGamers Member

Perhaps the developers could create a system such as this: for every Patriarch/Matriarch that you possess, any new character(s) you create gain a +5% XP bonus. The more time you spend on the game, the less time you'd need to spend on leveling up new characters.

That way rushing still wouldn't be allowed (I dislike rushing on principle) but veteran players would still have an easier time getting to the parts of the game that are more relevant to them.

9. Risingred

Risingred IncGamers Member

I have no problem with rushing. Particularly in Diablo II (pre-1.13 at least) because who is going to actually take the time to get their new necro to level 90 legitimately because they screwed up the placement of one skill point?

And if respecs are as harsh as they claim they will be in D3, I would be more inclined to just start a new character and get rushed.
    I see no reason why they should block this as a viable way of leveling up, at least once you've beaten the game on Hell.

10. TheMythe

I hope there will be a max xp-bonus reward than or a max number of toons per account. Or else it'll be like...

Whoops, I killed a goblin and now I'm lvl 100. 0.o

11. Apocalypse

i kinda like this maybe not a xp bonus for beating hell dif level but if you max a char all new chars get a xp bonus. max a second char and you earn another bonus. so on and so on.

12. Nimbostratus

Nimbostratus IncGamers Member

I don't see rushing as a problem in itself. I think rushing as it is in D2 is simply a symptom of the early game not being very fun compared to the end game.

13. Apocalypse

i actually think the game itself is more fun than the end game lol.

14. Nimbostratus

Nimbostratus IncGamers Member

What exactly do you mean here?

15. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

That would mean the quest of leveling some char (untwinked, single pass, HC, whatever gives you that "zing") is what's most important to that person.

I like it from time to time, but I'm more inclined to end game PvP. Players have more unpredictability, and you can make friends with them more so than monsters. ;)

16. Flux

Flux Administrator

why are you bolding all of your posts? This begins to vex me. I am vexed.

17. Flux

Flux Administrator

it's not D3, but Bill Roper talked about this during the HGL build up, and like saided Bad Ash, rushing is fun. If it's too easy then the lat game becomes clogged with annoying leeches, but playing outside the usual level curve can be fun. Helping a friend level up quickly can be fun. Games shouldn't be too draconian in their efforts to impose some sort of "must play this way!" rule.

And as teh Pocyclipse asked earlier, yes there's a +/- level setting on game creation on B.net on D2. I used to set it sometimes, when in the heydey of cow runs you'd get games with 2 javazons, 1 useful Conviction Paladin, some random helpless 45ish Barbarian or Druid, and like 4 level 9 leeches who just wanted to sit there and soak up shared exp and try to ninja any useful drops.

It was fun since the Barb or Druid or whoever was kind of leading the leeches on their turbo would start *****ing about the level req and ask people to make a new game. And no one listened, since he wasn't doing any damn killing anyway. Better was just not extending a party invite to the leeches, but they usually had some high level friend who would get the invite and then would in turn invite them, so you couldn't really keep them out.

18. TheMythe

I prefer bold because I got bad eyesight.

19. NASE

NASE IncGamers Member

How about increasing the text size in your browser (control scroll should do the trick in windows or if needed, you can mess around with stylish in firefox).

Anyway, how about playing in on the different side events.

i.e. if you are rushed, random quest, event etc don't show up. If you make these interesting, people might want to try and get as many as they can, not rushing.
    And those that really want to get rushed can.

20. TheMythe

I don't get it, nor will I ever most likely, there are already 2 complainers now.

Am I causing harm to anyone?
    Do you need medication now?
    Do you need therapy to overcome this obstacle?
    Care to talk about it?

Do you seriously think I haven't thought about all the other solutions? Of course I did and his turned out to be the easiest one for me (the one where I have to do little extra and still give me good results), ((Besides this totally pointless argument that is)).

Now unless you got completely different forumtheme options. My text just appear as just a tad fatter white than your white text. So, since I cannot change my bad eyesight and you folk can have no worldending problems with it, wouldn't it be best if you just enjoyed and be glad with the fact that YOU got good eyes. A forum is already difficult enough as it is, most likely D3 ingame will be worse for people with bad eyesight.

Thanks in advance.