Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Conc Barb weapon mastery question

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by amyrlinseat, Feb 6, 2004.

1. amyrlinseat

amyrlinseat IncGamers Member

Conc Barb weapon mastery question

Hello,

I'm currently making a Conc Barb following Halciet's guide. My issue is that I don't have any endgame weapons, and until I get one (either unique or the runes required), I don't want to put any points in Mastery until I'm sure which weapon class I'll end up using. So my question is, can you actually survive in Hell difficulty and have adequate killing power without Mastery, at least for awhile? I'm currently switching between Butcher's Pupil (axe) and Bloodtree Stump (maul), which are okay, but one's not enough damage and one's too slow, not to mention both are different weapon classes, so Mastery would only benefit one of them. Or should I just start pumping Mastery anyway and hope my endgame weapon is of that weapon class?

2. djmilhaus

djmilhaus IncGamers Member

I mirror that question as I'm in the same boat. I'm using Nord's Tenderizer with no weapon mastery and am struggling mightily in hell act 1! I hope to some day find something worth trading for a BOTD Zerker or CB, but I'm not even close yet...

3. Blood_And_Iron

Blood_And_Iron IncGamers Member

one hand or two hand

Well decide if you want a shield or not.

With a shield and max block swords are probably best, for the dex requirements. Crescent Moon phase blades are nice :) Light Sabre, Azurewrath, BotD Eth CB, blahblahblah.

The other shield option is Shaefer's, thought it's high str req that you don't have to have, since you can use Crescent Moon.

Without a shield a huge maul would be best, or a huge axe. I prefer mauls :) Try IK maul for speed. Windhammer and Cranium Basher are endgame weapons, though the thundermaul is slow. You can find Windhammers for cheap, I have some for trade :)

For Axe there's Ethreal Edge, among other things.

As for weapon mastery, there are people who recommend using synergies in all your skills, as in having four skills which all synergize with each other. But I can't understand people who don't use mastery, so I would always use the AR + damage boost. I can't see how any synergy will give you more than weapon mastery.

4. Pisken

Pisken IncGamers Member

one weapon that is overlooked is the Steeldriver great maul , i used one when i was building my IK whirler.

when upgraded to Martel i does 340 dmg and has 60% ias with a shael in it , lvl req is 34 and i think str req was around 90 something (no dex req).

Upgrade to a Thundermaul and you will have your endgame weapon :)

Always remember.... shields are for Paladins and ladies :D

5. Syphilis

Syphilis IncGamers Member

you can craft blood elite axes and hit power maces.
    it's cheap, easy, and can be very rewarding
    craft with a 71+ lvl char for 4 other mods.

6. Halciet

Halciet IncGamers Member

I'll second what Syph said, and also point out that if you're going to be using one-hander and a shield, then actually axes are the best weapon. If you're going to be going two handed, maces or spears/poles, and if you're going to be switching between the two, then swords. Axes make better one handers, since they have the best weapon for it - the berserker, which has really low requirements, the best one-handed damage around, max one-hand range, and excellent speed. It can also get 6 sockets and can be used in the recipe that Syph mentioned to possibly get the most damaging weapon in the game.

-Hal