Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Conc. Barb Vs. Clone

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by banditto1969, Mar 9, 2004.

1. banditto1969

banditto1969 IncGamers Member

Conc. Barb Vs. Clone

I built a conc/ww barb with full synergies for concentration to have a char that I thought could handle the world event clone. Currently at lvl86 wearing full IK set plus atma's ammy, and some resistance rings.

Skip to last Saturday where my buddy called me into a game because he had the world event message. So I brought my lvl88 hammerdin, who couldn't even scratch the clone. Hammers do 6K/per hammer hitting last fps but has 90/90/95/90 resists. If the hammer did damage, it healed right away.

Switched to my lvl88 fire sorc. Same thing, could static quite a bit, with a merc tank. was making progress but took forever.

So I switched to my IK conc barb. To my astonishment clone went down within 30 seconds??? wtf this thing rocks. I expected the conc barb to do ok, but this char went above and beyond my expectations.

So point is if you are thinking of making a char to beat the clone this is the one.

2. Xiamet

Xiamet IncGamers Member

What kind of damage do you do with Conc? Also, could you post your gear setup?

I'm still trying to decide between a Whirler or a Conc build. Aside from the occasional playtime..I'd like a char who can take out the D-Clone without too much fuss.

-X

3. Frenzied Bovine

Frenzied Bovine IncGamers Member

Crushing Blow owns the clone. That's how you killed him.

You DONT need to max Conc.. AT ALL. I own the clone with my WW IK barb. You just have to be smart, go toe to toe, and use Concentration (slvl 1). IK gives so many +skills, and Conc gets synergies from Battle Orders, something no self-respecting Barbarian should be without. Believe me when I say Concentration at slvl 1 does the job just fine.

(Berserk's not bad either, but you can't leech with it, and every so often you need to drink a heal.. read on for why.)

The reason you go toe to toe is to neutralize DC's lightning breath of doom (LBOD) attack. Once you do that, all you need to do is drink reds occasionally because his diablogeddon (Armageddon) slowly whittles down your hitpoints. Battlecry him to drop his defense and start Concentrating him to death.

4. Xiamet

Xiamet IncGamers Member

Thanks for the info Bovine...so now I'm thinking I pure Conc barb is out of the picture, as I can still benefit from a 1 point investment with +skills, and still take out the Clone.

Now all i need to do is choose between a Whirler or Thrower...either will have 1 point in Conc, to be sure.

-X

5. thewoodshed

thewoodshed IncGamers Member

Yes, my Conc barb "owns" DC too.

Matter of fact, my Conc barb owns any monster he comes against. His only "worries" are PI's and Oblivion knights (IM) but I have berserk hotkeyed for a quick switch.

'shed

6. TitanCentaur

TitanCentaur Banned

While we are on the subjet of killing DC, would socketing two PUL runes into IK maul make it a better DC killer? an extra +150% damage to demon and 200 AR to demon is not bad. PUL runes are cheap also. What do you guy think?

With PUL runes in place you'll hit slower, to break the 2 hit/sec break point, you'll need 69% IAS on other items. IK set give 25% from glove, socket armor with 15% jewel and two 15% jewels in helm and you are set. Ofcourse the ammy and ring will be angelic combo.

7. banditto1969

My gear setup is IK full set, using Atma's scarab for 20% ar.

My damage is prolly 5K for conc and 4.5K for WW.

Point is the clone died toe-to-toe in prolly less than 1 min, after playing for 20 minutes combined with my sorc and pally. barbs rule

8. xFullenex

xFullenex IncGamers Member

I'd think a frenzy barb w/ dual sazabis, goreriders LoH, highlords and maybe Guilhems Face would work really well... or use sazabies set for alot of LL and 30 xtra resist.... it seems good on paper but i havent been able to try it... anyone think it would do just as good?

9. banditto1969

I am not sure that Sazabis would even move his health bar. My merc uses a cruel eth sword and he healed as fast as he was hurt with that.

IK set maul does all those physical and elemental damages at once and I think the poison dam kept him from healing? Anybody wanna confirm that? I mean each hit literally took a chunk off.

10. wind

wind IncGamers Member

I would imagine that's the case, even though I didn't use the IK set against him with my beserker.

Everytime I hit you'd see chunks of life come off, however as soon as my merc died, the chunks of life would also suddenly go back on. Reason was the merc was using a Woestave (which would only tickle the clone damage-wise) but it has PMH.

So I believe you need some source to cut or prevent his healing. Otherwise more damage needs to be done vs. his healing rate. Which the Ik set seems rather well made for that fight.

I think a little more work might just do it with the sazibabi setup. Perhaps Hawinins belt which has PMH on it as well?

11. tl998

tl998 Banned

You were doing 6k hammer and you couldn't scratch Dclone? Wow you must need more practice aiming your hammers. My hammerdin is poor, and only does less than 5k hammer. I have 95, 90, 95, 90 resist in hell, so defensively we are about the same. It took me about ten minutes, but my Hammerdin soloed Dclone no problem. His LBOD heal me. His fire only hurts me at a slow pace that potions can negate. Only physical attacks forced me to go back to town to buy potions every now and then. Yes, 10 minutes was a long time, but with some fairly poor equipment doing less than 5k hammer, I killed it. Just learn to aim...

12. Xiamet

Xiamet IncGamers Member

I was wondering about the IK set vs Dclone situation, in that the Dclone heals incredibly fast...

Bandito, do you have any PMH in your setup? I was thinking of adding a rune to the IK maul so the healing rate of the Dclone would be negated, but if you killed him without PMH, I'm wondering if that's even neccesary?

-X

13. Frenzied Bovine

Frenzied Bovine IncGamers Member

Guys, listen to what is being said:

Damage to Demons isn't the key. Damage isn't the key.

It's all about Crushing Blow, and if you can manage it, Prevent Monster Heal + Open Wounds.

As an example, I had a 392%ed BOTD polebarb. He sucked vs the clone - dispite doing 10k damage with Concentrate. My IK barb killed the clone quicker! Why? Because the BOTD polebarb was wearing War Travellers. The instant I pulled on Gore Riders he started owning the clone.

Crushing Blow means everything. Once you fight the clone hand to hand and see CB go off you'll understand. A HUGE chunk of his life just dissapears in one hit. You can't equal that with raw physical damage.

I CB so frequently that the clone doesn't get to regen the life back. I don't have a source of PMH/OW on my IK barb, and it doesn't matter. The clone dies anyway.

If you absolutely must Frenzy, look for a sword with Crushing Blow as well as high damage. You may even want to consider a Fury Balrog Blade if you are off-ladder - they should be filthy cheap now. Or pull on Guilliame's Face temporarily (since your IK set is already broken).

14. TitanCentaur

TitanCentaur Banned

I agree. Don't forget your merc too, I always let my act2 merc use Guilliame's Face for the CB, Deadly strike, and hit recovery. It is really that good of a helm.

15. banditto1969

tl998 I am not saying I wasn't damaging the clone with my hammerdin. It is just that he healed as quick as I damaged him.

The only jewels I added to my IK set were for IAS.

I can't wait to do it again... being I let my buddy have the anni.

16. wind

wind IncGamers Member

Interesting ... even though I was using Guilliams face for CB, as soon as the merc died with the only source of PMH in the fight, DCs' health started moving gradually upwards. And at that time I had a 10 fps attack with about +2.5k damage. Went back, got the merc, played smarter, problem solved.

17. TitanCentaur

TitanCentaur Banned

Wind, What is your gear setup, I assume you use concentrate? What is the total CB % you have on at that time? I'm curious to see if PMH is imporant to optimized DC kill speed. What I thought was the poison damage on IK would be adequate.

18. Bootz24

Bootz24 IncGamers Member

I'm sure an upgrade (Eth if possible) Yari would do just fine on your merc with Guillume's Face. I think thats 60% CB total..

19. wind

wind IncGamers Member

Gear:

Guilliams Face
    Twitchthroe
    Death's Hand
    Death's Sash
    Whitsan's
    Aldur's boots
    Upgraded Butcher's Pupil
    Angelic ring and ammy
    rare ring

Merc:Might
    Blackhorn's Face
    Rare etheral Balrog skin
    Woestave

That is what I used for my zerker when I fought DC the three times, twice for myself the other time I helped a friend who couldn't handle him alone.

20. djmilhaus

djmilhaus IncGamers Member

Being I've never even SEEN the dclone, after reading this, I can't wait to take him on! This is some of the gear I use for PvM on my 89 conc barb every day, and it works pretty nicely:
    Dracul's Grasp - 25% Open Wounds
    Death Cleaver - 66% Deadly Strike (and the -33% Enemy Def is nice, too)
    Guillaume's Face - 35% Crushing Blow, 15% Deadly Strike
    Gore Riders - 15% Deadly Strike, 15% Crushing Blow, 10% Open Wounds

That totals:
    Open Wounds: 35%
    Deadly Strike: 96%
    Crushing Blow: 50%

Should do nicely vs dclone, according to this post.... now if only I could just end up in a game he spawns in!