Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Conc barb q

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by Maverick, Mar 24, 2004.

1. Maverick

Maverick IncGamers Member

Conc barb q

I've just started making a conc barb (i'm a melee'er at heart not a damn caster :p) and I had a few questions.
    He's currently lvl 45, doing norm baal runs. He hardly ever gets hit, which I cant believe. The only problem is, he does JACK all damage. Like I mean 200-600. My hammerdin which is lvl 85 does about 6k damage with full MF gear on. I cant for the life of me see this barb ever reaching around 4k wearing good gear. I've asked a few ppl in game and this is the sort of damage they reckon they are doing.
    I've maxed Conc, maxing shout as we speak, will max BO, and whichever mastery I find a decent weapon for. I was just wondering if anyone can share some info on how to make this build more powerful. I know its really a defensive build, but 600 damage... I mean come on.
    Some lists of gear/stats would be helpful, cheers :)

2. Zhidkoe

Zhidkoe IncGamers Member

Had the same problem early on, thing is there aren't alot of one handers that do great deal of damage, you need to get really good gear. Currently I am using a rare axe I found which is very much like the rune word Crescent Moon, less CL but more damage. That rune word is btw a nice choise, doom likewise. But what we all want is Eth BotD berserker=) hehe
    there really are no unique one handed axes that are really nice, there are some sworde though...

3. Dominon

Dominon IncGamers Member

Ya man i feel ur pain. Barb are very item oriented so if u dont get the ultimate weapon u will not be doing good dmg. when u reach hell diff ur gone go mad will r barb iven tho he wont get hit but it takes lot of time to kill an pack of monters that u will get borred at it and start makinng an caster char :(
    This needs to be fix, so maxing skill will make barb go even with caster types
    is like the cheesse Hammerdin, just put point in skills and ull be doing heck loads of dmg. so this crap is not fair for barb loves . not even in duels that hi has just espend skill point and u have busted ur back side searching for items to ead up dead!

4. Maverick

Well if any1 is on US West and has a 3 socket colossal sword msg *scoult01 sometime ;)

5. SkylineFanatic

SkylineFanatic Banned

y did u max concentrate

6. m1rage

m1rage IncGamers Member

He says he is a conc barb.

I would try to max BO first, as BO synergizes with conc, giving you more damage and overall BO will probably help more in the low levels. Not a big deal though since endgame you will end up maxing both so it's a wash.

7. Halciet

Halciet IncGamers Member

Because he's building a concentrate barb, Sky. Not an IK WW barb :p

As for the original poster, I feel you on the damage troubles. That's one of the downsides of barbs, is that they need a good weapon to deal high damage, unlike sorcs and such. Conc, BO, Mastery, and if you have it, Bash adds up to a HUGE damage boost, but it needs something to capitalize on. A well-laid out and super-armed Concbarb can tag around 7.8k damage base, and upwards of 9k or so with a might merc.

Try finding a high damage weapon, along with max damage charms, and ed jewels, and possibly war traveler's. Highlord's Wrath also greatly increases killing speed, if you can get it. I've made conc barbs that have had around 14k one hand damage, but they were PURE titan builds, and weren't as stable and useful as their vit based counterparts.

-Hal

8. memememe173

memememe173 IncGamers Member

Gaurdian Naga Naga, The Butcher's Pupil Cleaver, Headstriker Battle Sword, Ginther's Rift Dimensional Blade, Bravil's Vortex Knout, Sureshrill Frost Flanged Mace are all decent weapon for the level 40-60 range

9. Phantasy

Phantasy IncGamers Member

After 3 days I am now lvl 74 conc//ww barb. I use a botd eth cb 1 hand and a ss for def in the other. I use a cruel eth sword with zod for secondary weapon as 2 hands. I use enigma for armor, bloodfists for gloves (dracul's when I hit 76), gorerider for boots, arreats for helmet, raven spiral and an equivalent type ring for rings, and a choas noose +2 skills ammy for amulet. I maxed bo, sword mastery, 15 shout, 15 concentrate, 1 to various, and am working on ww now. My stats with gear are: 220 str, 209 dex, 330 vit, and 10 energy (base). I have 14k def with calls, and I do 3.5k dam with my botd eth cb and 5.2k dam with my eth cruel sword while using concentrate.

With all that said: How does one get 14k damage with one hand lolz?? Nevermind 14k, how does one get 7.8k dam one handed?? Did I mess up with my build somewhere :rant: ?? I plan on 15 in concentrate and whirl wind because lets face it, we can't just PvP all the time, it's boring. SO I have a hell chara that can stand in hell cows, hell, rush a player as needed =), or stand toe to toe in a PvP and do pretty well.

10. Halciet

Halciet IncGamers Member

7.8k:

Ethereal BotD berserker axe
    Enigma archon
    Highlord's
    Raven
    BK Ring
    war trav's
    verdungo
    20% ias gloves of some sort
    arreat's with ed/ias jewel (40/15 in this case)
    stormshield with ed/ias jewel (40/15)

1x 20/20 annihilus
    39x 3 max charms
    Demon Limb

Max conc, bo, mastery, and bash. That gives you around 7.8k or so (this was with 81 base/255 item str)

the 13-14k one was stacked out in str like a titan, staying at base vit, if I recall correctly. I think it was with all the same gear, except steelrend's as gloves, though it's been a long time since I did the testing. You could go even higher stacking poison charms, but I didn't feel that that counted.

-Hal

11. Phantasy

Man gotta get 3/20/5's lolz. Unfortunately for me, my ss and arreat's face came socketed with socketeers in them > < . Can I use my assassin's dual cruel claws socketed with 2 40/15 jewels each?? Guess that might be lame lolz.

Thanks Hal, you have inspired me greatly man. I just can't seem to stop making an all round character, instead of just following a path like all out concentrate or all out whirl wind ='(. I can see 3/20/5's or 290's in my future though (already have a decent annihilus charm).

12. Halciet

Halciet IncGamers Member

Why don't you just used the clear socket cube recipe to clean out your shield/arreat's, and stick what you want in them? I believe the recipe is tp scroll, hel rune, item, or something like that...check it out in the recipe section of diabloii.net.

Assasin claws are class-specific weapons, so you can't actually use them with a barb.

-Hal

13. Phantasy

I seem to forget the class specific items...lolz what a newb I am sometimes :cheesy: . Thanks for the tip to remove socketeers. I have looked for a recipe, just not hard enough. Thanks Hal!!

14. Maverick

Thanks for the replies guys, greatly appreciated. :)

15. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

until you hit hell, why don't you try a 2h with no shield for now for more damage.

col sword/blade's are like level 72 req, so you won't have to worry about them for a while.

my ik titan is the only one who even comes close to my hammerdin's damage (iirc, my .09 spear titan didn't do that much either, maybe 2.6k ww) so it's not really a fair comparision. my hammerdin gets almost 5k naked, and i'm not even finished with the last synergy.

however, my ww non-titans all finished hell with @1k displayed damage, getting a majority of their offense from crushing blow, so the char screen is just a baseline, not your actual effectiveness.

16. Maverick

Well my barb is going gang busters now, thanks to your info on equipement hal.
    I've decked him out with Goreriders, Draculs, Highlords, Raven Frost, BK Ring, Arreats (gonna upgrade it), Stormshield, Duriels Carapace (swapping to Gladiators Bane once I hit lvl 85), and an upgraded Headstriker (assuming deadly strike means double damage i'm doing roughly 1600-3200 dmg). Not only that but monsters in NM have like 10% chance to hit me, and even less when I am attacking using conc. Maxed BO, Shout, Conc, and maxing Sword mastery now. Also, i've put 1 point into basically every other skill (aside from frenzy etc, and find item columns) and those skills are bumped up to about lvl 6-8 with +skill items.
    Cheers for this build, its extremely reliable, and the other people who I play with really enjoy the warcrys :)

17. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

np. one note about upgrading unique armor: it gets the max upper range, so often the def will decrease if you upgrade it, because sometimes the low end on the elite version is lower than the high end on the exceptional.

often, you get an inferior armor with higher repair/str costs.