Computer Trouble as usual

Ash Housewares

Diabloii.Net Member
Computer Trouble as usual

ok, my computer sucks and it's being a jerk again
I'm running XP

anyways, I tried microsoft troubleshooting nonsense and it seems like all of it assumes I can start in safemode but I can't, my comp always freezes before it can start and I don't know what to do with it

when I try to start windows normally - freeze
tell it to start in safemode - freeze

now I'm no computer whiz, when these things happen I tend to throw a drink at my computer and challenge it to a duel so don't expect much out of me, but is there anything in my capabilities that I can do to make it stop being a bad boy?

Oscuro

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
Have you looked at any log files to see what's failing at startup? Also, does it just freeze on the loading logo, or does it give some sort of message?

Edit: If you think your registry is trashed, there's a way to restore it to an earlier version through the recovery console (you'd need to boot from the install cd).

Ash Housewares

Diabloii.Net Member
there was no message, just a freeze, like it was starting windows but never got there

I booted off the OS install disc and it's working now so hopefully everything is dandy now I'll look into it further this weekend, thanks for the help! :thumbsup:

Syxx

Diabloii.Net Member
Hi Ash,

Ok, you threw a drink at your PC, but have you actually threatened it with physical violence ?

Aside : Have you ever seen the episode of Faulty Towers, where Basil's clapped out car breaks down in the middle of the road, so he picks up a tree branch and starts thrashing his car with it, trying to beat some life into it. If I remember correctly he also verbally abused his car.

Who said physical violence doesn't solve anything ?

My suggestion may not actually fix your PC problem, but I'm sure you'll feel better afterwards.

Regards
Syxx

Ash Housewares

Diabloii.Net Member
Syxx said:
Hi Ash,

Ok, you threw a drink at your PC, but have you actually threatened it with physical violence ?

Aside : Have you ever seen the episode of Faulty Towers, where Basil's clapped out car breaks down in the middle of the road, so he picks up a tree branch and starts thrashing his car with it, trying to beat some life into it. If I remember correctly he also verbally abused his car.

Who said physical violence doesn't solve anything ?

My suggestion may not actually fix your PC problem, but I'm sure you'll feel better afterwards.

Regards
Syxx

insolent technology must be reminded of its subservient role

nrabbit

Diabloii.Net Member
Ash Housewares said:
I'm running XP

anyways, I tried microsoft troubleshooting nonsense and it seems like all of it assumes I can start in safemode but I can't, my comp always freezes before it can start and I don't know what to do with it

when I try to start windows normally - freeze
tell it to start in safemode - freeze

now I'm no computer whiz, when these things happen I tend to throw a drink at my computer and challenge it to a duel so don't expect much out of me, but is there anything in my capabilities that I can do to make it stop being a bad boy?
i had the same problem about two years ago and it appeared that there is a problem with the motherboard. i am not sure about yours though. btw i was really bad towards the computer and i kicked him a lot of times. so if you have been agressive towards your pc then probably this is the problem

jmervyn

Diabloii.Net Member
Ash Housewares said:
I'm running XP
Your computer's suckation quotient has nothing to do with it; it can't be that bad if it is strong enough to run the ball of vomit called XP.

As to the problem being hardware, that's always the first excuse and the least likely one; chances are you've got a standard-issue XP goat-rope. Even though Microsoft made sure not to display the BSOD at the drop of a hat, you shouldn't assume you're running a good OS. The solution, as with most M$FT crap, is a fresh reinstall.

I've heard of other sysadmins who include a knoppix CD for their troubleshooting kit, just for this sort of thing. I suppose I should part with the $3 to get one...

Ash Housewares

Diabloii.Net Member
jmervyn said:
Your computer's suckation quotient has nothing to do with it; it can't be that bad if it is strong enough to run the ball of vomit called XP.

As to the problem being hardware, that's always the first excuse and the least likely one; chances are you've got a standard-issue XP goat-rope. Even though Microsoft made sure not to display the BSOD at the drop of a hat, you shouldn't assume you're running a good OS. The solution, as with most M$FT crap, is a fresh reinstall.

I've heard of other sysadmins who include a knoppix CD for their troubleshooting kit, just for this sort of thing. I suppose I should part with the $3 to get one...
no my computer sucks alright, ask around

jmervyn

Diabloii.Net Member
Ash Housewares said:
no my computer sucks alright, ask around
Hey, I'm still using an 800mhz e-Machines Celeron for my Windoze needs, with my 1200mhz AMD for the main use machine. Thank Christ I'm almost ready to get my 2400mhz AMD running; I can finally use my WINE settings to run {crowbar swing} while allowing for better hotkeying, and stop dual-booting.

Right now, if someone tries to PK me, I can't F4 out.