Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Computer says there is no disk in drive?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by flabergaster, Mar 16, 2004.

1. flabergaster

flabergaster IncGamers Member

Computer says there is no disk in drive?

i just bought another diablo 2 and the expansion and i instaled diablo 2 fine.Then i tried to play it but computer said there is no disk in drive....but the disk is in.So i tried to clean the disk but it still does not work.I then tried to install LOD but when i put the disc in nothing happens.can anyone help me?

2. Ebuski

Ebuski IncGamers Member

Yep happened to me too, I don't know whether there is a more simple solution or not but i had to go through hell and back to get mine to work.. well not really ^_^. I had just gotten a new computer with the exact same problem, so i reinstalled once, same problem. Then i added a 2nd CD ROM to the computer and reinstalled and tried again.. then i switched my secondary cdrom with my primary and it worked fine, so I don't know if there is a simpler solution but ym cdrom just wouldnt run it so i had to use a different one from my old computer, anyone else got any other advice for him//her?? I know this is a sure-fire way for it to work but You could probably get by with a simpler and less costly method

3. flabergaster

i have herd that there is a .dll file i can download to fix it.does anyoen know if this is true?

4. Usufruct

Usufruct IncGamers Member

Have you tried anything other than the autoload screen?

5. Nastie_Bowie

Nastie_Bowie Banned

I'm no noob, but I don't understand what you are getting at. Could you be a little more specific, please?

:scratch:

6. Mikeyg

Mikeyg IncGamers Member

Ok, First of all do you have any problems running any other CD's? Because if so then there is a possibility that the laser on your drive has worn out and the drive will need to be replace. These things happen all the time, moving parts generally get worn down through age. A less drastic solution might be to try using one of those CD Cleaners that clean the lens on ur CD Rom, but there are no garantees that this will work.

As far as the Autoload screen goes, its the screen that willl flash up when u put the disc in the drive. You know, the one with all the dramatic music and such where u can choose to play diablo or install it and what have you. I think what Usu is sugggesting is running the game from the LOD executable in your Diablo 2 folder. Not sure what he's hoping to accomplish with this method, but it cant hurt to try.

If your drive can run other CD's fine and you still cant get the game to recognise the CD im not sure what else u can try. You can try using one of those no cd loaders (D2loader for example) but these programmes are inherrent with trojans and viruses. Not to mention that they violate the hell out of the EULA and other copyright laws.

Mikey

7. D'Shay

D'Shay IncGamers Member

is it reading the last cd you use previously instead of the current cd that is loaded? I had this issue and all you do is go to c drive and load it up that way...also sometimes it would cache it so i would have to refresh the page before i clicked on the cd rom drive

8. Usufruct

Usufruct IncGamers Member

When you put in the CD, it autoloads to the Diablo startup screen. Sometimes (because windows sucks at life) if you click 'Play Diablo 2 Lord of Destruction' it will say 'Insert the Diablo 2 Expansion Disc'. Obviously it's inserted, you silly PC!

You could also try mounting the CD image as a virtual drive. :)

9. CurryKing

CurryKing IncGamers Member

Hi,

You could try an emulation tool. That emulates a CD drive. Look for alcohol 120, Daemon Tools, or similar. Follow their instructions. It may be alot of work but if the CD is legit and not too damaged, then it should work.
    I guess your CD drive is fine for everything else? If you CD Drive is dead that will have to be fixed first. Make sure connections are fine in the computer. Get a friend to help you if you don't know the insides of your machine.

Curry is King

10. evasion

evasion IncGamers Member

1) Does the drive play any other CD's that you put in it?

2) Using Windows Explorer are you able to browse the files on the LOD CD?

3) Which version of Windows are you running?

(If you click Start, click Run and type in 'winver' (no quotes) this will bring up a dialogue box telling you your version.)

There should be no need to download a .DLL or any other file in order to resolve this problem.

CurryKing: If he can't read the LOD CD he has nothing to make an image from ;).

11. krmetal

krmetal IncGamers Member

I have alot of problems with LOD cd also. My son has about 30 cd's of various games that work just fine. But with LOD, I get all sort of error messages.

1. No cd in drive.
    2. Cant authenticate cd in one minute time.
    3. Please install cd.
    4. Click on LOD icon on desktop and computer reboots.
    5. Cd drive goes into hyper spin. It just spins at super speed and doesnt stop.

You would think that Blizzard could get it right. Most other game companies dont have problems. :rant:

12. flabergaster

I asked around the house and i have heard that some other people have had a similar problem.So i am betting it is the laser in the drive.Now on my computer i am running windows xp and i have heard you can install another diablo in a different directory and just switch users to bring up another game,so i made another user just for that and when i switched to that user and inserted the diablo 2 install disc it brought up the screen that says PLAY DIABLO. does anyone know how to make it so that i can install my other copy of diablo on another user.also is this illegal? I dont think it is because i bought another copy of diablo 2 and LOD but i am just sure.

13. Zorrah

Zorrah IncGamers Member

It has to do with the copy protection on the disk. Certain CD drives have issues trying to read certain copy protections. I don't know exactly what copy protection Diablo II uses, but I do know that there is a link, somewhere on blizzard's site I believe, to this fix. If not, you may try going to the CDrom drive's manufacturer's page for driver and/or firmware updates.

14. Jarulf

Jarulf IncGamers Member

I asume you are familiar with Canadian copyright laws then? I must admit I am not, but still wanted to clarify that in some/many countries this would not at all be against copyright laws and some would also make such prohibition through additional contracts on sale be void (do note that an EULA for example doesn't even fulfill such basic requirements as being part of the sale of the software to you but lets assume it is otherwise valid). So it might not be a problem at all depending on country. But you at least in Canada it apearantly is.

Not that fixing a game that doesn't work is a horrible thing though but hey. I bet some EULA and "third party" fanatics (not directed at you at all :) ), can then happily go and download some muic of the net and so on.