Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Computer reformatting/boothing help

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Darkie, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Darkie

Darkie IncGamers Member

Computer reformatting/boothing help

Hello. Ive been trying to reformat my computer for the last couple days now, and have had nothing but trouble. I have my BIOS set so that the primary boot drive is CD Rom (I have a Windows XP install disk). But whenever I restart my pc with the disk in and all, it goes to a dos prompt. I have no clue what to do here. Never is there something saying 'hit x key to boot from disk' or something similar. Any help would be great, thanks.

2. Oscuro

Oscuro IncGamers Site Pal

Is it booting from the hard disk and going to a prompt, or booting from the cd and giving you the prompt?

Edit: I just realized that might not be very clear. Does it "look like" it's booting from the cd or no? (judging from the cd and hd activity lights)

3. Darkie

Darkie IncGamers Member

Well, it only goes to the ms dos prompt when the xp cd is in. It begins with saying something like:

Boot from Atapi CD-Rom
    Starting Caldara DR-Dos

Then theres a bunch of other stuff and eventually goes to:

Caldera DR-DOS
    [DR-DOS]A:\>then you can type here

Dunno if thats what you were talking about though.

4. Oscuro

A Microsoft product would never boot to Caldera DR-DOS, it would boot to MS-DOS. Are you sure this is the XP cd?

If you have two drives, is it booting from the right one?

I think maybe some sort of Norton Systemworks cds boot to Caldera DOS, but I could be imagining things.

5. Darkie

Darkie IncGamers Member

It's a copy of Windows XP that my brother burned for me, so that might be why. But even if it were to go to MS DOS, what command would I use to reformat?

6. Oscuro

First things first, I would recommend figuring out how to install. To format now would be like setting fire to your boat before deploying the life raft.

It seems as though you might have some funky warez-ish boot cd. Here's a listing of the files in the root directory of a normal XP cd:

docs/
    i386/
    support/
    valueadd/
    autorun.inf
    readme.htm
    setup.exe
    win51
    win511ip

Yours should look somewhat similar, give or take a few files.

7. Steel_Avatar

Steel_Avatar IncGamers Member

A proper WinXP install disk will go straight to the install screen, where it asks if you want to install, or load the Recovery Console, not go to any sort of command line.

If you were at a command line, the MS DOS format command is: y < format c:

8. Darkie

Darkie IncGamers Member

I compared mine to what you posted and the only difference is that my file is WIN51IP, while you said WIN511IP.

9. CyberHawk

CyberHawk IncGamers Member

Are you trying to find a key to start reformmating without using the disc? I think if you keep pressing F9 constantly it will reformat your pc back to when you 1st purchased it. Or rather get it started. I'm pretty sure its F9..I did this last year..worked great, had a brand new pc again.

10. rikstaker

rikstaker IncGamers Member

does the disk work in other pc? could be a bad burn.

Rik

11. Darkie

Darkie IncGamers Member

Whenever I put the disk inside of another pc, the windows cd screen does come up, so it appears to work correctly. Sorry ppl, Im just not very knowledgable about computers.

12. Steel_Avatar

Steel_Avatar IncGamers Member

That's not much help, unfortunately. I created a few coasters when I was trying to slipstream SP2 onto my XP install disc. The settings have to be just right, or the burned CD, while functioning if inserted into a CD ROM drive in Windows, will not boot.

13. Hatsepsut

Hatsepsut Banned

Try exploring the CD from another computer, there might be an .nfo telling you how to install...then again maybe don't trust that CD, seems indeed like some funky copy.

14. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

First, using an 'illegal' disk can cause problems, particularly with XP - for the times I've had to use one, I use a copy of one used for volume licensing. There seems to be a little less of the Windoze BS involved on it.

However, I think Oscuro is on the right track, and I've experienced something similar myself (work with Windoze since v.1 and you get a little of everything). Since you're showing up with a Caldera DR-DOS prompt, my guess is that you're never actually booting from the CD, and instead are going straight to a hard drive. I agree that some hard drive manufacturers were packaging their 'raw' disks with alternate OS installations, in an effort to help OEM's evade the so-called "Microsoft Tax" (where every PC sold has to have an OS, because otherwise the buyer can only be trying to steal the precious Windoze jewels). I recall reading that some of them were going to switch to using a Linux for this purpose, since there were no licensing issues involved other than the GPL.