Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Computer problem, IE shuts down, so does windows (XP blue screen of death!)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by diablo2addict, Feb 18, 2004.

1. diablo2addict

diablo2addict IncGamers Member

Computer problem, IE shuts down, so does windows (XP blue screen of death!)

Just today I put in some more RAM that I bought.

Also today, occasionally IE will shut down, windows will bring up that "send error report" or "don't send" error message box.

Also for the third time today I got an XP blue screen of death. These things mostly went out with previous versions I thought but it's a diff kind, where the screen is all blue and covered in white text. It says something like beginning dump of physical memory...then it counts to 100 and restarts.
    After I get back up, windows pops up a box, I click "report error" it says I probably have some kind of Device Driver problem.

Did I do something wrong with my RAM? Or is it broken? Or do I need to do something special (uhh Ram drivers?? :grrr: )or something with BIOS, or what??

Anyone who could help, that would be great....if I can't figure this out I'll probably return the RAM...and I don't wanna do that unless I have to.

2. VampiroXIII

VampiroXIII IncGamers Member

Try moving the RAM sticks around into different slots. I've had a similar problem and that took care of it. Also, is all of your RAM the same type? I know some motherboards support DDR (slightly smaller stick, one notch in the bottom) and SDRAM (slightly larger than DDR stick, has 2 notches in the bottom), but will not work if each type is installed.

3. Corneo

Corneo IncGamers Member

I am not sure if this pertains to XP or not. I remember some one telling me some windows OS will not accept memory greater than 512 megs. I highly doubt that is the case for XP though.

4. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

It might be faulty RAM. Try this:

Take out other RAM, leaving only the new stick. Use the computer for a while and see if things go wrong.

Replace all the other RAM, removing the new stick. See if the problems go away.

5. Mad Merlin

Mad Merlin IncGamers Member

That would be DOS, NT has mariginally higher limits (4 GB).

6. Sergeant

Sergeant IncGamers Member

It is probably your RAM. I would suggest along what Durf said. Shut the box down and unplug. Remove the original RAM and move the new ram to the first slot. Power on and use. If you have problems, shut off, unplug and remove the new ram, putting the old ram in the first slot. Power on and use. If the problems go away, your new RAM is faulty. If it doesn't, you need to be looking into other hardware or driver conflicts.

Also, your RAM needs to be supported by your motherboard and needs to be the SAME as the first stick. It needs to be the same kind and same speed, not the same size. You can mix and match sizes so long as the speed and type are the same.

Hope this helps ya. I hate blue screens. I get them EVERY time I install new nVIDIA drivers. OOoo, time to make a thread for that. :drool: