Computer issues

Crispyknight

Diabloii.Net Member
Computer issues

Ask the experts, eh?

My comp at home decides to crap out on me a month or so back. The situation was I left it on when I went to bed the night before, and the next morning, it wouldn't respond. Swapped power supplies; nothing. Got a replacement mother board, and it will now start up, but crashes without warning and simply restarts. The interval of crashes gets shorter the longer I leave it on.
It's not over heating, as it never cracks 40*C. Hard drive works fine, and it crashes no matter which drive I've got hooked up. RAM's been checked in another computer. The only thing I can't, haven't, or dont know where to check is the processor and the video card. Processor is a AMD Athlon 63 3.2 ghz, and the video card is a Radeon 9800 Pro 128 mb. Any ideas, guys?

jmervyn

Diabloii.Net Member
Crispyknight said:
Ask the experts, eh?

My comp at home decides to crap out on me a month or so back. The situation was I left it on when I went to bed the night before, and the next morning, it wouldn't respond. Swapped power supplies; nothing. Got a replacement mother board, and it will now start up, but crashes without warning and simply restarts. The interval of crashes gets shorter the longer I leave it on.
It's not over heating, as it never cracks 40*C. Hard drive works fine, and it crashes no matter which drive I've got hooked up. RAM's been checked in another computer. The only thing I can't, haven't, or dont know where to check is the processor and the video card. Processor is a AMD Athlon 63 3.2 ghz, and the video card is a Radeon 9800 Pro 128 mb. Any ideas, guys?
You need an exorcist...

CPU shorts are certainly possible - how hot was it the time you left it running? Could the fan have failed? Mine will exhibit similar wacko conduct if I block the box's side fan, allowing hot air blowback in the case.

If you have a known good dumb video card, that should be an easy check.

xOSERx

Diabloii.Net Member
Have you checked the RAM? Bad RAM is a possible explanation for the random hangs/crashes you're experiencing.

nrabbit

Diabloii.Net Member
Crispyknight said:
Ask the experts, eh?

before it restarts does it show a bluescreen?

PhsycoTimmay

Diabloii.Net Member
How long have you had the Video card in the machine?

I had a problem similiar to yours

I had just got the new GeForce 6600 GT PCI Express video card, over my on-board video, popped it in, and started playing some games, about 5 minutes into every game, the computer would just shut down. After doing some research I found out the my PSU wasn't putting out enough power to supply the video card and everything else.

But it sounds like you have had that video card in there before these shut downs started occuring, so I would pretty much rule out that situation.

Try switching processors out, and of course video cards :)

Crispyknight

Diabloii.Net Member
Had the video card for three months, no problems with power. 380 W supply, if you're wondering.

No blue screen. Just goes to black, and reboots.

Used the RAM in another machine at work for a full day, with no issues, so I figured it was alright, as well. Is there a diagnostic I can run?

I don't know how hot it was when it failed, but all the fans are running fine now, and unless all four failed simultaneously, I can't see it over heating. I failed back in April now that I look at my first RMA, and it was a cold night, it was probably only 55 degrees in that room at teh time of the "incident"

Crispyknight

Diabloii.Net Member
I could see driver problems if it failed ast certain points, but it just up and dies when ever. After I've had it on for a half hour or so, it doesn't even get windows all the way loaded, then blinks out.
Never gives an error, always restarts like i just hit the reset switch. Odd indeed.

Damotta

Diabloii.Net Member
Crispyknight said:
I could see driver problems if it failed ast certain points, but it just up and dies when ever. After I've had it on for a half hour or so, it doesn't even get windows all the way loaded, then blinks out.
Never gives an error, always restarts like i just hit the reset switch. Odd indeed.
Your problem sounds exaclty like a problem I was having not long ago. It got to the point where it wouldnt even get past the boot screen. I took it down to the computer shop after running out of options, and they said my motherboard simply wasnt getting enough power. I have a self-built PC with a lot of devices in it and they were sucking up too much power. The solution was amazingly simple. They took a power cable splitter and connected it to a cable running to one of my CD drives and connected it to my motherboard. That did the trick! I havent had any problems since. And the best part was the whole fix only cost $5, the cost of the splitter.

Weird thing was though, is that I had my computer running just fine for about a year before this problem occured. I made no modifications what-so-ever. So, it is possible to seemingly come out of nowhere. I suggest taking your computer down to a computer shop or if available to a computer knowledgeable friend and ask them to check out if your motherboard is getting enough juice.
I wish I wouldve known to check for that. I went to all the RAM diagnostics and other BS, I even reformatted the damn thing before I found out what the real problem was.

Anyway, best of luck to ya.

Germando

Diabloii.Net Member
Heya

First you said Athlon 63 and i am guessing you meant a 64, plus you have a fairly power hungery vid card and i am guessing that you have at least 3 drives on it. The solution to your problem is simply power. Almost all Intel chips will run with many many periphs on a 350, but the amd will use quite a bit more power. A 450 should be just fine. As for the poster who's comp did the same thing after a year, that is actually normal a psu's power output will decrease relative to the number of operating hours that it has.

G

Crispyknight

Diabloii.Net Member
No, I really meant Athlon 63. Its a limited release chip with quantum threading and the core of a baby black hole. Haven't you heard of them? Sheesh, where have you been? :D

This is a brand new power supply, and when I test it, all I have hooked up are the video card, a single DVD ROM, and a SATA hard drive, all other drives and cards are removed. Could the system be _that_ low on power?

jmervyn

Diabloii.Net Member
Hatsepsut said:
Hey Germando :) *waves*

Do try another GPU if you can. /non expert guess
Other than calling it a CPU, that's still my guess. You'd be surprised how easy it can be for these little buggers to overheat.

jmervyn

Diabloii.Net Member
Hatsepsut said:
Well I did mean GPU but oh well could be the CPU aswell I suppose :p
If it were the GPU he can still debug it by trying a lesser graphics card, as I mentioned... but I would expect him to get further in the cycle if it were the GPU.

I suppose it could result in the same 'immediate reboot' sort of thing - I'm not a vid card guru.

Crispyknight

Diabloii.Net Member
Which would be a better test of the video card; putting it into my relic of a P2 and seeing if it does the same thing, or putting my relic of a video card from the p2 in to my new computer and seeing if that works? Either way, I wouldn't be confident that crashes weren't hardware incompatability due to age than real damage.

jmervyn

Diabloii.Net Member
Crispyknight said:
Which would be a better test of the video card; putting it into my relic of a P2 and seeing if it does the same thing, or putting my relic of a video card from the p2 in to my new computer and seeing if that works? Either way, I wouldn't be confident that crashes weren't hardware incompatability due to age than real damage.
The relic vid card from your old PC into the new one, no question about it. The concept is that your new system should have no difficulty ID'ing the older hardware. What's the relic card anyways?
It would be nice to know fer sure that the relics work properly in the first place; nothing fun about testing with unknown or bad components...

Crispyknight

Diabloii.Net Member
I know the old computer and card work as its my only computer right now. All the associated bits work fine, even if it is laying open sideways on the floor next to the desk. The relic card is an ATI rage (pro?) with.... wait for it....... 8 meg of RAM on board.

jmervyn

Diabloii.Net Member
Crispyknight said:
I know the old computer and card work as its my only computer right now. All the associated bits work fine, even if it is laying open sideways on the floor next to the desk. The relic card is an ATI rage (pro?) with.... wait for it....... 8 meg of RAM on board.
Don't sneer, it gives you wrinkles. I've got numerous machines with Rage Pro cards; reasonable component age is only important if you're a hardware junkie (or a Windows user, which amounts to the same thing).

Laying open is another matter... too much dust and you're in for a surprise...

Crispyknight

Diabloii.Net Member
I shouldn't say open, the main cover is on, but the front is holey due to all the drives and whatnot I pulled out and put in the new computer.