computer issue: slow, explorer.exe takes up all resources

diablo2addict

Diabloii.Net Member
computer issue: slow, explorer.exe takes up all resources

What happens is my computer suddenly slows down, and I look at the task manager and explorer.exe is using about 90% of the cpu, and more ram than any other application... problem is fixed by restarting but comes back.

Ideas?

(windows XP btw)

VampiroXIII

Diabloii.Net Member
My friend's computer did that, you have to catch it before it starts a second time by opening task manager and end task it. I forgot what happend after that, but I think it was fine.

asdf

Diabloii.Net Member
um... if you close explorer.exe it'll shut down windows... or, at least, all of the windows functions like start menu and stuff

VampiroXIII

Diabloii.Net Member
asdf said:
um... if you close explorer.exe it'll shut down windows... or, at least, all of the windows functions like start menu and stuff
On hers, it was running twice. One was taking normal resources, but the other one constantly took 99% of the CPU.

Celestia

Diabloii.Net Member
I have a similar problem with a system process called SVCHOST.exe, there are 4 or 5 of them running at the same time each using about 5 MB of RAM. I have enough memory for games to run smoothly but I always wondered what these processes are actually good for and if I could just stop them.

I'm also using Windows XP btw.

Pidder

Diabloii.Net Member
VampiroXIII said:
On hers, it was running twice. One was taking normal resources, but the other one constantly took 99% of the CPU.
That's quite normal. The thing that constantly uses 99% of the CPU when you've opened the task manager is the thing that handles all available CPU-power. E.g. If all your programs uses 10% of your CPU this process will show 90% (I.e. 90% available).

VampiroXIII

Diabloii.Net Member
Pidder said:
That's quite normal. The thing that constantly uses 99% of the CPU when you've opened the task manager is the thing that handles all available CPU-power. E.g. If all your programs uses 10% of your CPU this process will show 90% (I.e. 90% available).
Her computer response time was, well, you press ctrl-alt-del and it would take upwards of 2 minutes to come up.

{KOW}, she can barely use a computer, let alone anything geeky like Linux.

Carnage-DVS

Diabloii.Net Member
VampiroXIII said:
Her computer response time was, well, you press ctrl-alt-del and it would take upwards of 2 minutes to come up.

Her registery is probably fubared. ANd if you close explorer.exe and then do ctrl+alt+del, run new program and type in explorer.exe it works again.
I suggest running a few anti-spyware/adware programs to see if anything is messing with your registry or not.

Pidder

Diabloii.Net Member
VampiroXIII said:

Well, since she doesn't know anything there's no reason not to change to GNU/Linux, right?

Linux isn't anymore geeky than you make it.