Computer Help, please...

nosoup4crr

Diabloii.Net Member
Computer Help, please...

Okay...so starting this morning, I noticed that every now and then, when I was involved in something tasking the computer (multiple window web-browsing, playing a computer game), that my computer was making a strange noise. Whatever you call that little green light that flashes at a rate correlative to how much CPU usage you've got going on was going crazy. About 4 hours ago, I got the blue screen. I have since gotten it a few more times. The new noise and crashing have happened without reason. I've not downloaded anything new.

I'm assuming that it's a hardware problem and not a virus. Of course, I have little knowledge of computers--I'm basing this assumption simply on the fact that new noises should (in my mind) mean a physical problem. How do I go about finding out what part of my computer has died? Furthermore, if anyone is especially knowledgeable about computers and might be able to help me out further, should I provide more information, please let me know. I need this taken care of ASAP.

Lord Nyax

Banned
Try defragging? Generally I clean up my hard drive, check it for errors, and defrag it at least once a month (I've heard that you're supposed to do it ~every week...screw that).

Good luck.

ffejrxx

Diabloii.Net Member
defraging a bad hd can cause more problems
run windows scandisk utility

My computer, right-click the drive, Properties, Tools, Check Now..., Select Options, Start.

or something like that, gl with it

best buy has a 250g seagate hd on sale for $89, if you can find a coupon for 10% off its only around $86 after tax, DONT LET GS INSTALL IT

bg1256

Diabloii.Net Member
Don't mean to state the obvious, but make sure to back up your data sometime soon...:idea:

nosoup4crr

Diabloii.Net Member
point of reference...when starting up, it says:

"Boot from floppy...not found"
"Boot from CDROM...not found"

I think this is different from what used to happen

ffejrxx

Diabloii.Net Member
thats the boot order the mobo is using
first it checks the floppy drive, then cd for bootible disks
finally it checks the hard drive

when you get "operating system not found", its too late to backup your data

rare

Diabloii.Net Member
Lol.

This EXACT same thing happened to me about a month ago. Your harddrive is dying.

Mine lasted about 3-4 weeks after these exact same symptoms. Start backing everything up, quick. It will randomly crap out on you at any moment; at start up, playing music, shutting down..

Hope yours is in warranty =( But start backing up Now, and get ready cus one of these days your computer just isnt going to boot up.

PS: I was able to fix it after it first refused to boot up. I had to use my system restore disc. And it was good for about a week and a half. Then that exact same sound you describe, and the blue screen of death came up. And after that it died permanently.

nosoup4crr

Diabloii.Net Member
Well...first off, it definitely does have somethign to do with the hard drive. I've tried CHKDSK about 10 times, and every time it gets "an unexpected error occurred, yadda, yadda, yadda." I can't defrag because it requires that I complete CHKDSK first. I've already backed up the stuff that's important to me.

What's strange to me is that I had this exact same problem about 9 months ago. I took it to my undergrad university's IT center...they said that it WAS a virus. (Although, in that instance, I don't remember the strange noises). They temporarily fixed it, I suppose. And now, the same things are happening. Unfortuntaely, the laptop only had a 2 yr. warranty, and it's about 4 yrs. old. I was thinking about getting a desktop, anyway. I guess I'll be investing, haha. What upsets me is that I have TONS of work to do in the next few weeks, and this is going to be very inconvenient.
I
On a side note, I'm building my own computer, I think. I'm buying:

Case
Power Supply
Mobo
Processor
Graphics card
Sound card
multi-purpose drive
floppy drive
RAM
keyboard
Printer
Monitor

What chords will I need to purchase to hook this thing up? I live in PoDunk, Virginia...so any computer accessories are going to be hard to come by--especially specific ones that I'll need. So, When I order all of this other stuff off of newegg.com, I'd like to know that I have all of the required chords, so that I can build it, and use it, all in one sitting. If you need the specific pieces I'm getting, I can provide them.

rare

Diabloii.Net Member
Cool, at least you are now prepared. And yes the noises do mean your HD is dying.

I didnt know anything about opening up a computer or where the HD was, but when I called for tech assistance, the guy immediately stopped trying to do any troubleshooting after I told him my computer refused to boot windows, an Intel message saying "cannot find bootable device" came up, and when I told him the noises coming from the HD.

rare

Diabloii.Net Member
Well isn't it usually the little orange light that indicates HD activity...? Is for me anyways.
Yeah, I think someone mentioned CPU usage but it was corrected to HD activity/usage.

I wouldnt know, I just know when I hear something spinning/working the little light comes on :sunny:

rare

Diabloii.Net Member
Hm Ive never built a computer I wasnt even aware you could change the color of the LEDs

Technology these days...

rare

Diabloii.Net Member
Ah.

Ever since I was stupid enough to open up my computer while it was on, I am afraid of color coded cables.

And the plastic fan that is mysteriously sharp when you accidentally run into it and capable of cutting off a piece of flesh.

Hatsepsut

Banned
That bunch of small cables always drives me nuts. The ones being the hdd led, power led, pw switch, reset switch and so on. I swear I always manage to place at least one or two the wrong way around.

rare

Diabloii.Net Member
I have no clue which is which. I always thought everything just "had" to go someplace. I didnt know all this customization, even if its accidental, was possible.

Id like to learn though, and eventually make my own computer perhaps. But, I have no time at this point...in time.