Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Computer help please!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Isolde212, Apr 10, 2005.

1. Isolde212

Isolde212 Banned

Computer help please!

So my stupid computron keeps dying in the middle of stuff. Just completely powers off for no reason. I am almost completely computer illiterate so bare with me. I took off the back and looked for loose wires. Nope. I actually vacuumed out all the dust. I am pretty sure it's a hardware problem. I just replaced the motherboard about six months ago. I think it may be the power supply. Any way of checking this before I have to go out and buy a new one? I hope this posts before my computer shuts off again. Arghh! Very frustrated. :mad:

2. 5Ws

5Ws Banned

Could very well be a virus, so check that first.
    It also could be that your computer is over-heating, and there are programs that check the temperature of your hardwares.
    If it's power supply problem, then you need to simply get a new power supply.

3. Isolde212

Isolde212 Banned

My virus scan isn't showing anything. Damn power supply. I am going to take it out and stomp on it and then get a new one.

4. 5Ws

5Ws Banned

No no, take it out and give it a lapdance, that'll calm it down.

5. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Or make it overheat even worse.

6. Isolde212

Isolde212 Banned

It's not deserving. It's been a bad boy!

7. Chynobi

Chynobi IncGamers Member

Hoovering? Wouldnt that cause static?

Sounds like it could be a overheating problem, when it turns off does it reset or have to be manually turned back on?

8. SilentMagik

SilentMagik IncGamers Member

Yep sounds like overheating. Check if the cpu fan is running. They usually dont last long, especially if its a cheap model.

9. Isolde212

Isolde212 Banned

I think you guys may be right. The top feels really hot and I checked to see if the fan is working. I can hear it sort of. I guess I'll be turning my puter off more often. I rarely ever turn it off.

10. Chynobi

Chynobi IncGamers Member

Yup you wouldnt want to cook your new motherboard.

A tip is to replace your fans once every 6 months.

There maybe no sight or sound difference but it could be running slower than it has been and slowly cooking your internals away. Thats why its a good idea to change them every so often. :thumbsup:

11. 5Ws

5Ws Banned

You shouldn't keep it running for a long time, they get pissy.
    Check the fan if it is spinning, note how fast it is spinning, and if it is making weird noises.
    Could also open up the case, and stick a fan right next to it.

12. itsPizzarific

itsPizzarific Banned

is it making weird noises?

kind of like - MMMMMMMMMMMMMMFFFT PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFMMMMMMMMTTTTTTT

13. ~Kazama Fury~

~Kazama Fury~ IncGamers Member

2 seperate events occured when my computer would just shut off.

1. The power supply was dying... One day, it just popped. Then I knew it was the power supply. =/

2. The fan on my video card wasnt working right. Luckily this time, I found the problem before it caused any permanent damage.

I hope you find out the problem.

14. distancepieman

distancepieman IncGamers Member

Mine stays on 24/7 and I haven't had a problem with it yet. Have you changed any of the power settings to let it know that it's meant to be on all the time? That may help out in the future if you haven't done it already. Otherwise, yeah, get a new fan. At least that's pretty easy to get installed, and should be fairly cheap. Good luck.

~Bails

15. 5Ws

5Ws Banned

Jesus Pizza, what the hell kinda computer do you have?

16. raffster

raffster IncGamers Member

hmmm...powering off completely or going on hybernate? many people mistake the two as the same. if it's powering off completely then the folks here are correct -- motherboard/CPU overheating causes machines to shut off. that's a built-in "smart" feature to avoid the possibility of a fire disaster.

if it's hybernating, check your screen saver properties and make sure it's not set to go on hybernate or standby.

if your fan is dying (or is dead) that will normally do it. i just had the same problem a few months ago. replaced the fan and all is well again.

i also leave my computer on 24/7, the fan only gave out once in the last five years.

17. Lord_Shinnok

Lord_Shinnok IncGamers Member

i guess lapdances can't fix every problem. very distressing for our world's furture. :(

18. raffster

raffster IncGamers Member

Very distressing indeed. But I'm still going to get one anyway.
    **puts wife to sleep and heads off to Stiletto via mountain bike**

19. Isolde212

Isolde212 Banned

I have decided that instead of getting too frustrated and throwing the damn thing off of an overpass that I will shut it down until my friend can come and fix it for free. I am now taking over Anakhapoopyhead's computer. If he doesn't let me use I will take his GI Joes again.

20. toader

toader Banned

*rides in to the rescue*

*late*

First, lets turn on your 'blue screen upon system failure'.

To do this, go to:

Control Panel ---> System ---> Advanced --->Startup and Recovery--->
    -on this menu you wanna make sure and UNCHECK the button that says 'Automatically Reboot'.

Ok, now that this is done, when your system fails it should take you to a blue screen giving you geek-ish information about where the error occured. (Not sure if it will 'blue screen' on heat error, so that might help narrow it down.

Now, when a system randomly restarts its from a variety of reasons:

1) Virus (highly unlikely)

2) Hardware: memory, powersupply, processor, harddrive; those are always the most likely culprits for bad hardware when your system is failing.

3) Heat: Do a visual inspection and see if the fans on your motherboard are working properly (or at all). Same thing with the fan on your video card fan if you have one. Also, check the fans on your power supply.

If the fans on your hardware seem to be working ok, then try and run the system with the case cover off. This will allow air to get in there and breathe. Sometimes if a hardware fan isnt working 100% and you are also building up a lot of heat in the case, this can cause problems. By opening up the case, this should fix that problem if thats what it is.

If all fans are working, and you run it with the case open, and its STILL restarting on you...then my guess is hardware.

Anyways....hope this helped some. Respond back after you (if youre gonna) take some of the steps I detailed to narrow the problem down some.