Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Computer help for the guy that thought he knew.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by bigD72, Oct 14, 2006.

1. bigD72

bigD72 IncGamers Member

Computer help for the guy that thought he knew.

First of all, howdy. :wave: Haven't been in here in awhile.

I have no idea what is happening to my computer, it just isn't running properly.

My Crapaffe (Mcaffe) subscription ran out and I tried to remove it, but it seems like it basicall integrated itself completely into everything and I've tried bascially every means possible to get rid of it. Using windows to uninstall, using Mcaffe's manual uninstall solution.

I defraged my HD.

Ran spybot and adaware.

Someone told me I was being over processed from startup (probably) and needed to go into MSConfig and knock out some of the startup stuff, but I'm not sure what to kill and what not to.

I also downloaded a program which I thought was shareware that diagnosed something like 300 some odd problems in broken links and registry changes, but to fix the problems I had to "donate" $30 for the program to tell me what the problems were and how to fix them or fix the problems itself.

Unless I can get some help, I'm probably going to reformat and start it all over.

Help?

2. rare

rare IncGamers Member

well in msconfig go to the start or start up tab at the right (i forget what its called) and the 2nd column should have a path of where these start up processes/applications are. What i do is just extend this column so I can see where they are. That gives you an idea of what it is. If its something you dont recognize or cant make out, DONT touch it. On the other hand if it says something about Mcaffe or is inside a Mcafee folder, you should uncheck it.

go through the list until they are all unchecked, click apply, ok, restart. I dont know if that will fix the fact you cant uninstall it though; thisll just stop Mcafee from starting up with your computer. McAfee itself should have an options menu or some type of control panel where you should be able to specify if you want it to "start up when windows starts up" or something along those lines. uncheck that too.

I dont know if Mcafee is like Norton, but on Norton to do major changes to the software (like uninstalling it) you have to be on a "Supervisor" account. By default, you are always on a "Supervisor" account in Norton, unless you specified it otherwise.. Again I dont know if MCafee is like that, but you could check and see if you have "privileges" to uninstall McAfee.

on that same note, it woudlnt hurt to verify your win XP account is an administrator while trying to remove Mcafee.

And can you be a bit more specific about it "integrating itself"? In what programs? Internet Explorer, Outlook..?

Also, does it still appear on your control panel add/remove programs area?

ps: never ever ever pay for software like that, or registry editors/fixers (or any kind). Theres several good ones online that are free, and are able to fix most common issues.

3. bigD72

bigD72 IncGamers Member

Yes, it's still on my control panel which perturbs me, I've already told it to uninstall from there a couple of days ago and it was gone. Now when I look back it's there and an error "Common Shell: ResXX\mcshield.dll is needed" comes up everytime I try to do it again.

By integrated itself, I'm using the term really loosely. Because that error comes from not having that file from Mcafee and on some/most of my software applications I tried to run it gave/gives the same error message. I reinstalled most of that software and the problem no long exists except within trying to remove Mcafee.

The manual Uninstall I tried is contained within the following links:
    http://tools.mcafeehelp.com/doc.php?siteid=1&docid=71541&support=ts
    http://tools.mcafeehelp.com/doc.php?siteid=1&docid=71501&support=ts
    http://tools.mcafeehelp.com/doc.php?siteid=1&docid=69205&support=ts
    http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=22890

They seem to be macro of a manual uninstall. Next step

Run MSIEXEC to Attempt a Forced Uninstall (XP)

Click on the Start button.
    Click on Run, type in cmd and click OK. A black window will then appear on the screen with a blinking cursor.
    Type the following commands into the keyboard:
    CD\ <then press the ENTER key on the keyboard>
    MsiExec.exe /X{983DD781-10DA-4C25-8706-9E152DFCEF90} <then press the ENTER key on the keyboard and follow the instructions>
    exit <then press the ENTER key on the keyboard>
    If errors are recieved proceed to the next step.

The following is the next step one I'm not sure I want to take because I have no experience with doing this, but if someone could kind of check it out and see if it's simple or what the case is, basically if I should do this....It does seem simple enough though.

Search the Registry for Internet Security Components

1. Click Start.
    2. Choose Run.
    3. Enter the following:
    regedit
    4. Click Ok.

Search the registry and remove all occurrences of 31254D659DA85C643A39BE127A06DD34

On the left side of the screen, single click on My Computer (located at the very top) so it is highlighted.
    Click on the Edit pull-down menu then click on Find. The Find dialog box will then appear.
    IMPORTANT: This set of characters is case sensitive. Be sure to type capital letters.
    Type the following into the Find What field: 31254D659DA85C643A39BE127A06DD34 (NOTE: The 0's are the number zero)
    Click the Find Next button.
    The computer will then search the registry. When an occurrence of 31254D659DA85C643A39BE127A06DD34 is found delete it, then press the F3 key on the keyboard to search again. Do this until you get a "Finished Searching through the Registry" message.
    NOTE: You may find as many as 100 occurrences of 31254D659DA85C643A39BE127A06DD34 in the registry. They all need to be removed.

1. Open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\McAfee and remove the Guard Dog and McAfee Privacy Service entries:

Scroll back to the top on the left side of the screen.
    Double click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
    Double click on Software.
    Double click on McAfee.
    Single click on Guard Dog so it is highlighted then press the Delete key on the keyboard to remove this entry.
    Single click on McAfee Privacy Service so it is highlighted then press the Delete key on the keyboard to remove this entry.
    2. Open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall and remove {983DD781-10DA-4C25-8706-9E152DFCEF90}

Scroll back to the top on the left side of the screen.
    Double click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
    Double click on Software.
    Double click on Microsoft.
    Double click on Windows.
    Double click on CurrentVersion.
    Double click on Uninstall.
    Single click on {983DD781-10DA-4C25-8706-9E152DFCEF90} so it is highlighted then press the Delete key on the keyboard to remove this entry.
    Remove filter drivers

Click Start
    Choose Run.
    Enter the following:
    "C:\program files\mcafee\mcafee privacy service\guarddog.exe" /uninstall
    Delete the McAfee Privacy Service Folder

Double click on the My Computer icon on the desktop.
    Double click on the C: drive.
    Double click on the Program Files folder.
    Double click on the McAfee folder.
    NOTE: If you do not have any other McAfee products installed, you may delete the entire McAfee folder.
    Single click on the McAfee Privacy Service folder.
    Press the Delete key on the keyboard to delete this folder. Answer Yes to any prompts about deleting files or programs.
    Close all open windows until you are back on the desktop.
    Removing Misc. Files

Click on the Start button.
    Highlight Search then click on For Files or Folders.
    In the Search for files field type in GdFshk.sys then click the Search Now button.
    The computer will then search for the file.
    Once the file is found right click on the small icon to the left of the file's name. A pop-up menu will appear.
    Left click on Delete to delete the file. Answer Yes to any prompts about deleting the file.
    Repeat steps 3-6 for the following files: gdtdi.sys, McAfee Privacy Service Anti-Spyware Scan.job
    Once all of these files have been deleted close the Find Files dialog box by clicking the X in the top right corner.

4. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

5. rare

rare IncGamers Member

e.e

well, if you tried all that and its still in your system..

=(

after your subscription expired, did you do anything differnt with Mcafee BEFORE attempting to uninstall? Something that may have caused it to get stuck in your computer maybe.?

You might try System restore, and get back to the day your subscription expired, and see if it all comes back again. THen try this process again.

Also you can see if someone else you know has Mcafee, and if you are able to find that file that says its missing..."Common Shell: ResXX\mcshield.dll is needed" If you find it, copy it or upload it (use gmail or something) to get it to your computer, and see if then itll let you uninstall.

and.. you only have 1 antivirus in your computer right? That one being Mcafee? maybe if someone else uses your computer they may have downloaded another antivirus, and it mayyy be causing this.

thats about all that i can think of, seeing as that incredibly thorough tutorial failed as well =/

but, i'd start backing up all the important stuff right about now =(

6. bigD72

bigD72 IncGamers Member

I went back into msconfig and found some more Mcafee files in the startup tab and some were in the Serivces tab. I *think* I've gotten rid of about 70% of it. McAfee VirusScan Enterprise seems to be the only thing left that I can figure out how to delete.

After all this though, I'm getting a new error on start up "Cannot access local server."

*edit- oh splendid, I can't even run a search through my computer or windows explorer without that ResXX\Mcshield.dll crap.

*edit2 - I think I've now managed to hunt down 99% of it. But I can't delete ~5 files because my acess is denied? I was listed as admin for Mcafee and I am admin for my computer.

7. jackthelad

jackthelad IncGamers Member

Try here, see if you can find something to help.

Btw, have you tried turning it off & back on again?

8. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

For those few files left try deleting them in Safe Mode.

9. bigD72

bigD72 IncGamers Member

I got rid of all but 2 by doing that.

I think I've gotten rid of all of it except those 2 files.

What a pain in the arse.

10. rare

rare IncGamers Member

Ouch. I didnt have that many problems when uninstalling my Norton..how weird =/

11. Phesto

Phesto IncGamers Member

Well, I don't have much to add, but I just wanted to say you might as well get Crap Cleaner while you're at it. Run it as is -- the registry cleaner and the other one -- and save a backup of the registry changes before you remove (it'll ask you when you move to remove them).

Great thing to have, and if you haven't ran anything like it before, there's probably a ton of stuff that it'll clean up for you.

12. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

i'm not understanding whats wrong.. is it just that your computer is really slow?

if so, did this happen gradually or suddenly. If suddenly, it's probably some malware or something else.

If gradually, xp is known for gradually decaying in performance. That's why xp enthusiasts reformat on a weekly basis practically.

13. bigD72

bigD72 IncGamers Member

Well, the only reason I even noticed was because of games.

I went from handling 50-60 frame/second smoothly to a choppy 15-20.

It all coincided with my attempt of removal of McAfee. Everything is running faster than ever now though. I did a very thorough job of looking up all start up processes and what they do, I had ~30 processes on start up. I now have 12.

I believe everything is fine for the time being now and problem fixed.

I'm still going to d/l run that crap cleaner thing.

*Edit- Holy jumping joojoo beans batman. Ccleaner removed nearly 1 gb of stuff.

14. bigD72

bigD72 IncGamers Member

Uhohhhh.....

Apparently everything I kept doing may have affected my memory.

I think I may have bad RAM.

Here are my reasons:
    While playing...what's the term....crowbar swings, using /fps shows my memory usage and it's always at or around 450 mb of my 1024, when this reaches 760ish I come up dead with a memory error.

If I leave my computer on with applications open, after about 3 hours it does the same. If I just leave it on for 6 hours with nothing on it'll do the same.