Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

computer advice needed

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by dirkdig, Sep 4, 2006.

1. dirkdig

dirkdig IncGamers Member

computer advice needed

a while back, I made a post that my computer had crashed. Every time I turned it on, it told me "Operating system not found."
    I tried to boot it from my restore disks unsuccessfully. I "restored factory image", but afterwards could only return to the "operating system not found" screen or a basic MSDOS prompt that basically said my hard drive was empty. It wouldn't let me reinstall Windows from the disks, and never would progress beyond the "restore factory image" step of the process.

Not knowing what else to do, I brought my laptop in to the geek squad. After ponying up 70$, they took a look at it and after 2 days they called and said it wouldn't boot up at all and had a bad motherboard, and that I'd have to buy a new computer. I find this doubtful, given that I was able to access MSDOS prompt, but I have no knowledge with which to argue from, and I guess they could be right. I hate to shell out another 900$ for a laptop, so I guess my thread has the dual purpose of 1) asking whether it sounds like Geek Squad is trying to half-*** their way out of fixing my computer, or 2) if I should buy a new computer and what computer I should buy.

Thanks!

2. superdave

superdave IncGamers Member

if you could boot up in dos your motherboard MAY be ok...doesn't rule out intermittent problems though.

question...does the "geeksquad" sell computers too or do they just do repairs?

3. dirkdig

dirkdig IncGamers Member

they just do repairs... and they would be able to milk more money out of me if they could do more repairs, but not necessarilly as much as bestbuy would by selling me a new computer

4. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Geek Squad = Best Buy

Are you sure it's DOS and not the BIOS? Just because it's a blinking cursor doesn't mean it is DOS. Motherboards do go bad.

I would try booting from a Linux Live CD like Knoppix or Ubuntu and seeing if it starts up. If it does then they are lying, it it can't then they are probably telling the truth.

5. superdave

superdave IncGamers Member

or if it's an old clunker with a floppy just try to boot dos. :thumbsup:

6. Stompwampa

Stompwampa IncGamers Member

you can't access the BIOS if you have a fried mainboard. So if your BIOS is accessable, then your mainboard is working...at least for the most part.
    I'd take the Linux advice and try to boot from there.

7. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

I've seen the BIOS boot when the rest of the board won't recognize anything. No keyboard, no ports, nothing. Just the BIOS without any hardware support besides the monitor.

8. Stompwampa

it should do that. The BIOS runs strictly in the mainboard. It will still boot, but it should tell you that there isn't any hardware attached.

9. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

His could be detecting but not able to use. Then it wouldn't report a problem, but he still wouldn't be able to do anything.

10. Stompwampa

also true.

you could also boot in your Windows intall disc and see if it will boot from CD. You'll have to reformat and lose anything on the laptop, but it if works, it'll be cheaper than buying a new one.

11. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

beep codes generally report problems too, missing/bad memory, video card, processor ect..
    if it got to check for an os then the mobo is probably good

12. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Run DOS, play Alleycat all day. Problem solved.

13. dirkdig

dirkdig IncGamers Member

that's what I tried, and it doesn't recognize discs 2-3
    disc 1 just erases my hard drive but won't reinstall

14. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

have you checked bois settings, see if the mobo sees any hard drives?
    might be a bad cable or bad ide condroller

15. Freet

Freet IncGamers Member

ffejrxx might have a point. From what I'm hearing the puter is booting until it starts trying to load from the hdd. Maybe the hdd cable is bad, or the boot sector got wiped.

I would concentrate on checking the hdd and connections.

16. Stompwampa

That was my next suggestion. If the cable is bad, then it's an easy fix. If a boot sector is wiped, you might be able to repair a windows installation using the Windows install disc. . . but I've never had much luck repairing an installation. If the boot sector is wipes, you may be SOL. If you have things on the hdd you still want to keep, you might be able to slave it to a different bootable drive to transfer your files off and then start from scratch.

17. dirkdig

dirkdig IncGamers Member

I honestly don't understand a thing that any of you are talking about. I have no idea what HDD or BIOS are, but maybe if I print out this forum page and show it to the geeky squad boys they will be able to say "yes" or "no" as to whether the ideas are applicable to my situation.
    Especially since, ya know, I already paid for them to do this stuff already.
    Thanks for the advice :smiley:

18. Stompwampa

It wouldn't hurt to print it off and show them.

HDD = Hard Drive

BIOS = Basic Input/Output System

19. dirkdig

dirkdig IncGamers Member

hard disk drive?
    output is like the monitor, input is like the mouse/keyboard?

20. Stompwampa

Yea, Hard Disk Drive would technically be what HDD stands for, but hard drive is the same thing.

Basic Input/Output System is where you can set up anything that goes into or out of your computer. It is where you tell the computer which drive to boot from (A, C, D, etc.) You can also change the processor settings or how fast your computer fans rotate, which in turn will effect the computers internal and core temperatures, those of which can also be tweaked.

A BIOS essentially lets you control the very backbone of your system. You can download software to make it more user friendly, but none of it I've seen is nearly as stable as just adjusting the BIOS itself. . . that is, if you know what you're adjusting and how to adjust it correctly.