Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

compulsive personalities

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Freet, Mar 14, 2004.

1. Freet

Freet IncGamers Member

compulsive personalities

When I have a bit of free time I automatically crank up the PS2 and start playing Grand Turismo. I have been playing it so much that the roads have developed potholes. I only stop long enough to smoke a cigarette and then I'm back at it. In fact, I'm making this post while my car is in the pit getting fresh tires. I'm the same way about this forum. I'm sure a great many of you share this affliction so you can appreciate where I'm coming from here.

The game isn't doing me any favors. This forum, while I find a great many of the members quite interesting, isn't going to make me rich, get me a female companion or do anything else that justifies the time I spend here. The old saying "a dollar chasing a dime" seems to fit this quirk.

Why do folks, primarily men from what I have seen, do this? Why do they find something they like and spend hours, or even days, ignoring their family, ignoring their friends, ignoring their dog (whose bladder is most likely going to explode if he doesn't go outside and SOON!!!) and all just to play a game or chat on a forum?

I suggest that we, as men, have a biologically inset desire to say we are the best at something so we can "one up" all others that attempt the same action. We have an inferiority complex that must be smothered by whatever means is available. We, as humans, are social mammals and the male of the species has a competitive drive that forces us to strive for perfection in every compulsive act we concede to. No matter if the act is worthwhile or not.

I'm typing this without thinking it through so I may not be making my point clear. Please feel free to clarify, rebut or whatever you feel is warrantedd.

2. tarnok

tarnok IncGamers Member

Horribly true. Man we suck.

3. iq144

iq144 IncGamers Member

Yes, yes, yes, and yes.

4. Cain

Cain IncGamers Member

I've been doing that for years. When I was younger I would prefer to sit at home and play Dragon Warrior or Final Fantasy then go out and play with people from school. I remember renting Nintendo games on Saturday and parking myself infront of the TV for the entire weekend. Highschool was a bit different because I had home work, a job and a few girlfriends along the way. Now that I'm just about done college I find myself spending most of my free time (which isn't much) playing games instead of spending time with my girlfriend. I've been getting better with it though and try to only play games when she's in bed and spend time with her while she's awake. It's tough to balance school, video games and girlfriends.

5. th5418

th5418 Banned

I'm just here because I have nothing else to do. :cheesy:

6. Freet

Freet IncGamers Member

The first step towards healing is admiting you have a problem.

7. bigD72

bigD72 IncGamers Member

But he looks like he could be past the first step, where is denial in the healing process? :lol:

8. cougar

cougar IncGamers Member

I'm usually not too bad until I start playing on-line multiplayer games. This is where it starts for me. I'm horribly competative (although i've worked on it, and gotten better) and I remember when I started playing Starcraft, and I wouldn't put it down until I could smoke most people at it. Same with Halo, D2, etc. etc. etc. Granted, I got really good at these games, but I usually ignore homework or something. I don't get as bad as to ignore the ladies tho... that's about the only time I draw the line. I don't always do this with just video games either tho... I've done it with ping pong, baseball, foosball, racquetball.... just about anything that ends in "ball" ;p

9. bigD72

bigD72 IncGamers Member

Thats myself also, the time I realize I was way toooooo competive: Playing NCAA 2004 and I was Duke they were Florida State, I was winning 28-21 in the 4th they scored went for two and won, I proceeded to punch the guy and broke his nose.

10. Kawaii

Kawaii IncGamers Member

I'm here because i'm addicted to the Internet and computers in genereal... It's because if something goes wrong, it's (usually) my fault and I don't have to rely on others... Control, basically.

11. Freet

Freet IncGamers Member

Don't let Durf hear that.

12. cougar

cougar IncGamers Member

Haha.. we've had some pretty heated rivalries in the dorms on 2004 March Madness and College Football, never to that point tho. I bet that dood was pissed afterwards hehehe.

When playing games in the dorms, I'm usually the one who gets most angry... but i'll just hit the futon or something.

13. bigD72

bigD72 IncGamers Member

I try to avoid sports games as much as possible, but if their is a situation where I am almost forced to play due to I don't want to be rude...
    I pick the worse team and do stupid plays claiming I don't know the buttons. So for me it doesn't seem competitive.

As for my friend, lets just say I had to walk home...about 5 miles, at 1 in the morning.

14. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

I'm the same way, Freet. When I get into something, I really get into it. This forum is a good example, so are poker and video games. Often times, it doesn't leave the family or the girlfriend very happy. If I had a dollar for every hour I've played Halo, I'd be a rich man. If I had a dollar for every hour I've played poker...well, come to think of it, I probably do. :)

15. CaptJoe213

CaptJoe213 IncGamers Member

Freet, I so agree with you, I get that way too. I'm a completeist and a perfectionist when it comes to games. Gotta have something to lord over my *grumble, censored* brother-in-law lol

balancing a gal in there is so hard, so therefore you marry her, and then let her bring you cokes and chicken wings, so you dont have to get up :lol:

16. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Or marry D2netDad's wife and have her join in on the fun. I play becuase I can't do it in real life. I guess that is why I don't play sports games. I would rather go out and play tennis for real and suck than pretend to do it. . . However since I can't go around blasting aliens with my pistol and sniper rifle in real life yet have the urge to do it I play games. Gah now I have confused myself. . . disregard this post.

{KOW}:cheesy:

17. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

I feel an obligation to my constituents to continue posting

18. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Are you going to stop like Darkness at 10K?

{KOW}:cheesy:

19. ZeppelinAngel

ZeppelinAngel IncGamers Member

we can only hope

i thought that was darius though :scratch:

20. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

yea, who's darkness?