Compressed files

Merick

Diabloii.Net Member
Compressed files

So Windows told me that I'm low on disk space and offered to compress old files for me. I accepted, as I've done on several occasions. I'd like to know if there is some sort of downside to compressing them? The files are still usable I notice no decrease in speed opening or using them.
Is it just the time it takes to compress them that is a pain?

raffster

Diabloii.Net Member
So Windows told me that I'm low on disk space and offered to compress old files for me. I accepted, as I've done on several occasions. I'd like to know if there is some sort of downside to compressing them? The files are still usable I notice no decrease in speed opening or using them.
Is it just the time it takes to compress them that is a pain?
Compressing files = slower hard drive access time because the hard drive needs to compress and decompress each time those files are accessed. In general, file compression is best for files that are rarely used (like old picture, video or even document files).

It is not recommended to compress system files, cache files (I don't think that's even possible) and files you use often. If your hard drive just has one logical partition (basically you used up its entire space for just one logical drive) I wouldn't compress it because it will end up compressing the system files as well. Just compress folders that has files you don't mind slower access to.

Hope this helps.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
Don't trust it, just clear up some room on your hard drive. Or buy a bigger one, they're pretty cheap now.

Lord Nyax

Banned
Well, thing is, if they're compressed...you have to uncompress them to access them. If you don't notice any increase in time, go for it.

P.S: Hard drive space is like, 40 cents a gigabyte now...there's no need to compress anything, just buy a $15.00 hard-drive addition...