Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

complete and utter noobness

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by severian, Oct 14, 2010.

1. severian

severian Diabloii.Net Member

complete and utter noobness

So this is my first time playing through the game, I picked it up on a whim after being berated for years by my friends for never having played D2. I want to play through all the way on single player first, I don't want to jump into a multiplayer game and be a drag on everyone else. I had a couple of questions though if anyone could help me out.

I've read guides online and lurked around these forums for a while to research what I wanted to do for my first character. I decided on an Amazon that uses freezing arrow and strafe as her main skills. The guide I read stated to save up my skill points until I reach 30, I'm at level 28 right now and I've done just that, spending just enough for my prereqs and I had to sink 5 points into that skill that raises the zon's attack rating, once I got to 24 I've been putting one point each level into strafe (I'll be doing the same once I reach 30 for freezing arrow).

I'd imagine this build is slow to get off the ground but I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or not, it took me like an hour to kill Diablo on Normal difficulty. I was level 24. Is this normal? It felt like cheating, I kept popping out through Town Portals to buy more potions and kited the red f#%#^& for a whole hour. It was awesome once he died though, this game is like crack hahaha. I have a few problems with mobs too, I'm swallowing potions like they're going out of style. I guess I just feel like my char sucks and wanted to get some feedback on it, am I in the correct area for my level?

Oh and is there any way for me to trade stuff between my single player characters? I hate selling cool drops at the vendor just because they are useless for my zon.

Thanks.

2. Krupa

Krupa Diabloii.Net Member

Re: complete and utter noobness

:welcome:

i´m impressed by all this effort u spent on researching for u first char :)
    i remembe my first one ever being a crappy zeal paladin with maxed might. took ages to advance :D

first off some questions i have: since u are playing single player (SP) what version are u playing in? there were some major changes in different patches. do u play expansion or the classic game? if expansion aare u using the rwm (some modifier that enables ladder only runewords in SP)

in general:. bow amazons are not the best boss killer, cuz they don´t have high dmg or cb. they are usually fast to clear maps, but not single high life enemies.

there is a muling application calles atma. it allows u to mule stuff from char a to char b, but not to cheat. some mods do have it in their signature but i forgot in which forum it belongs...

and yes the game is kinda like crack, welcome to the addiction :D

3. James Knight

James Knight Diabloii.Net Member

Nah, you're doing fine, you're just new to the game.

For points, don't worry too much where you put them. The new 1.13 patch introduces free respecs so you can re-assign all your points + skills. Talk to Akara and she should have the option. I forget when it appears, I think you just need to beat Act 1.

Now, as for your build, I would recommend doing either Cold zon or Strafezon. In this game, you usually stick to one main active skill that you'll spam like never before. Of course, this depends on your build, but it'll apply to you.

These are the skills you'll want to focus on:

- Cold Arrow
    - Freezing Arrow
    - Valkyrie

Pre-reqs for the rest. +skill items take care of your passives, but feel free to put points in them for your first char if you feel you need e'm. If you ever get some mana leech, you might want 1 point in Strafe since each arrow will give back some mana, thus preventing the need to blow gold on pots. But really, aside from these 3 skills, put points in whatever. Play around, and have fun. It's your first time through.

Last thing, I've usually been around lv26-30 when I went up vs. D, but that's when I take time to properly level and clear stuff out. Lv 24 is a bit low for your build, though. Zons just don't dish out what Sorcs can at that lvl.

And perhaps you don't know this, but you can enter "/PlayersX" in the chat panel, where X is any numbers between 1 and 8. On B.Net, monsters become stronger with more players by multiplying their HP by the # of players in the game. The offset is that the amount of exp you get is also multiplied by close to that amount (something like 6x @ players8). It helps tremendously to level up in single player.

4. droid

droid Diabloii.Net Member

Yeah it seems you're working with some old info. Strafe/Frozen Arrow is a good, solid build, but yes its slow especially from 24-30. James is wrong about some things though - you get a free respec when you beat the Den of Evil quest in each difficulty; you rarely stick with one skill and one skill only, since in NM and Hell modes there's lots of monsters with immunity to a certain damage type, so you need two elements (ie physical and cold, strafe and FA). You'll have enough skillpoints to max out the damage on both eventually, so dont worry. You do want to keep your eye out for Mana and Life Leech rings, they'll help a lot. Also, its worth it to stick a few extra points in Critical Strike for a better chance to double your physical damage. 3-5 points spent there is good for starters, its better than spending on Penetrate until late in the game when you start facing really hard-to-hit monsters.

Once you hit L30, you'll really take off as you'll get Pierce, Valkyrie, and Frozen Arrow. NM will be a lot smoother than Normal :) Make sure you pick up an A2 Offensive merc in NM too, they boost your physical damage.

I'd advise that you actually restart on battle.net, now that you've gotten a "feel" for the game. It'll ensure you're always playing the latest version, and it will also let you find people both to help with parts you get stuck, and most importantly so you can trade for items.

MP in D2 isn't like MP in most games; you rarely actually team up with other players. It's mostly more of a community of people playing solo together :) But bowazons are VERY dependent on a good bow, as you might imagine, so the ability to trade for one makes it a lot easier than just waiting to find one yourself.

5. severian

@Krupa: Thanks for your advice. I'm playing v1.13 Expansion, no mods. Funny you mention rune words, I was very disappointed when I tried to make an edge bow; hadn't noticed that it only works in ladder :( oops. I'll look into ATMA, sounds promising. As soon as I manage to kill Baal (I'm scared hahaha :p) I think I'm going to jump onto Battle.net. What would you recommend as a good starter character on Bnet?

@JamesKnight: I had no idea about that /playersX thing, I definitely have to try it tonight. I wasted my free respec by accident (I thought I could buy more, looks like you only get one *facepalm*) so I'm stuck with this build for this character. I got it here
    http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=676075
    and it looked pretty cool. Many thanks for the input!

6. severian

@Droid: Yeah I think I'll probably be starting on Bnet tomorrow. I had a lot of trouble finding a good bow, used a 2socket crappy one with 2 tal runes so it had +150 poison damage but it was a slow killer. Luckily, Diablo dropped a gold 'Rogue Bow' which has good attack speed, I had the barbarian dude in act 5 socket it, put a perfect skull in there. Diablo also dropped some gloves called 'Bloodfist' which increase my attack speed even more. I have a life leech ring, and mana leech on my helm and amulet. When I strafe now, my mana barely goes down! It's great! Only problem is I run out of arrows all the time, my attack speed is so fast.Thanks for the suggestions.

7. MFDeath

MFDeath Diabloii.Net Member

To be honest SP isn't as great for "practice" as you might think, since playing in a party changes so many aspects of the game. For example, you wouldn't have to rely so much on your valk/decoy and kiting if you took on D with a melée char accompanying you.

As far as your build though you seem to be doing fine, bowazons are fairly gear dependant and take alot of polish to shine. Get used to those long tedious boss fights if you solo, that's just how it is with a bow. I strongly recommend againt that "spam a single skill" strategy mentionned because you'll get ripped apart once you hit immunes in nm and hell. Strafe only takes a few points to be effective, so it's a good combo for cold.

8. Krupa

Krupa Diabloii.Net Member

my advice would have been the respecs for SP 1.13 lod, and some hints about RWs like malice in ur mercenaries stick.

but since ur about to make the small jump over to idiot.net its not needed anymore ;)
    for trading i´d recommend u this site. it´s very friendly and has usually fair prices

for a starting char i´d recommend these:
    orb-sorc
    LF-FA-Hybrid -Amazon
    Skellimancer

stay away from hdins, cuz they suck ;)
    u will encounter a whole new (or maybe not) language, consistin out of n00b and stuff like that. feel free to ignore those players

but most importantly, do what ever makes u enjoy the game

9. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator & Inc Clan Officer

FA-Strafezon is a very fun build later on. I have several, actually. You use FA to freeze mobs them strafe them to death. Or later, if you have the mana pool and enough leech you can use FA to freeze them then to also kill them. As has been said, it will take a while to kill the bosses with strafe. Be patient. If you like this kind of build you'll find that it takes more skill and patience to play it than some other "over-powered" builds.

The best thing about strafe is that in act 3, when you have a hundred little annoying critters running at you, you can pick them off pretty quickly with the auto aim/auto hit. Or you can freeze them to keep them away from you and then strafe them. The worst thing about strafe is that it locks you in place until you finish strafing. That can be dangerous so be particular about where you begin to strafe. Be sure critters aren't closing in too fast.

If you decide to stay single player and finish the game with this character I can give you a bow to help you get by for a while. Get ATMA over in the single player forum. I can then send it to you. That is, if you don't mind using gear you haven't found yourself. ATMA is like a huge stash that allows you to mule items off game and into a separate stash. Then you can twink other characters to your hearts delight.

Try to find Witchwild String. It is a great little bow and can help you tremendously. I may even have one or two of those gathering dust in my ATMA collection.

10. severian

@Dacar92 You wrote the guide I used! Thanks for replying! This seems like a cool community. I DLed ATMA per Krupa's advice, it works great! If you don't mind parting with that bow I'd like to see what a good one can do.

Krupa, thanks again for the advice!

11. MFDeath

MFDeath Diabloii.Net Member

Lol. Now THAT'S great advice... Spoken like a true master.

I've seriously tried playing hdins many times just to see what was the big deal, and I deleted or respecced all of them after puking from the combination of boredom and leetspeak overload. Really made me appreciate my zons, as it's a much more tactical and challenging approach which is greatly rewarding.