Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Complaints, warnings and bansticks ...OH MY!

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Gorny, Nov 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gorny

Gorny Banned

Complaints, warnings and bansticks ...OH MY!

Ok folks, Dredd and myself have gotten more than a few complaints about the current state of the forum. We have also gotten a few complaints about the posting habits of a few people, and oddly enough, some of those people have caught the attention of both Dredd and myself.
    One long time poster and Pal even said to me in a PM that they no longer want to post in the OT Thread for fear of losing control at seeing a certain member's posts ...and that even seeing that persons name makes him lose his temper.

I have discussed this with Dredd more than once, and the comment that keeps comming up is : Wouldn't the forum be a better place if we could just find an excuse to ban certain people?

So before this gets out of hand, let this be a subtle warning to all to stop derailing threads from whatever thier topic might be, and to ease up on the nonsense spamming that has been going on in some threads. The occasional off topic post is fine, since we are a community, but when offtopic posts and spam posts derail a threads topic to the point of no return, or destroy the OT thread, it has to stop.

You may give feedback in this thread and PM concrens as to specific people via PM.

Lastly, this forum could be headed for a mass banning. So, you are forwarned.

Duck and cover, the forum has gone to defcon 1.

2. SuggestiveName

SuggestiveName IncGamers Member

I was actually about to make a thread or a pm about the orgy of spam that is the OT thread, so this is fine news by me.

However, "just finding an excuse to ban certain people" could cause a great deal of chaos as well. If they are not breaking the rules, but you still want to ban them you need to change the rules publicly, warn the poster, and then ban them if they break the rules. Banning "just because" is terrible policy.

3. Gorny

Gorny Banned

We aren't going to just ban people outright, but the people in question are turning out to be a cancer in the health of this forum ... that has forced myself and Dredd to watch more closely.

4. Yossarian

Yossarian IncGamers Member

I don't really post much in here and never in the OT thread so take this for what it's worth. Isn't OT just random blah blah blah anyway? That's what I always thought. I'm not sure how people can be upset OT is too OT.

Although spamming is annoying and is different.

5. LorveN

LorveN D3 Off Topic Moderator

What about me and Aman that won the representative competition-thingy?
    I always wanted to be a spy!

The least you could do is give us an assignment! :mask:

(They trust us out there since they voted for us? Or was it a mere lie?)

6. Gorny

Gorny Banned

Sure it's random blah blah blah as you put it, but at the same time the OT thread is for discussion of topics that might not fit the threads in the forum, and for general day to day chat, while we do have a bit of fun in there and that's fine, the OT thread is not for mindless blabble - for lack of a better way of putting it.

7. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

There is an ignore feature for people who drive you batty. I've used it before.

Edit: The OT thread looks the same as it always does to me. It's always seemed like a spammy mess to me.

8. Yossarian

Yossarian IncGamers Member

Ah so it's directed and focused babble. I'm better prepared if I ever decided to headin. Learn something new everyday.

9. Gorny

Gorny Banned

True, there is an ignore feature, but it's getting abit out of hand.

It's not just spam by certain persons, it's also trollish posts by some others..

What's the point of one person choosing to ignore someone when the ignore person is generating negative PM's from more than a few others.

There comes a point when ignoring does not work, and some other action has to be taken.

I'd rather not have to ban anyone, and I have given a few warnings vii PM (infraction warnings), wether one chooses to heed that or not willhave some effect.

@LorveN .. hmmm. that thread was for fun, but maybe we can come up with something.

10. LorveN

I thought so too, but still. Winning is fun! :azn:

Anyways, OT threads are always a problem. That is (unfortunately) because they are so inviting, you can write about what you want. As usual, forums have their own ways of being "a respected member", and many think it only depends on postcount.
    Now, I don't frequent the OT in this particular subforum, but I know how the ETF is. Oh well. And people don't read the rules either.

How about more tempbannings then? 1 day is no disaster, still it is a way of letting them know it is wrong. (No police state, with insta-ban for the smallest thing, but you get the point, right?)

Btw, is that a new mod feature, that you appear offline with a red button next to your name all the time?!

11. Gorny

Gorny Banned

No the stealth feature is older than Freet.

There won't be and mass perma bannings though - were not going to go that route.

More like warning > warning via PM > warning and a temp ban > ban.

12. LorveN

But then, many people don't empty their PM boxes... Oh well, police state probably isn't good no matter what. But as it is now, not many peeps get real warnings afaik?
    (I take the opportunity to vouch for increased size of PM box for non-paying peeps too, while I'm at it, even though you can't do anything about it right now)

13. Gorny

Gorny Banned

That's why we warn in public also, buy sometimes it gets to the point where we get tired of warning the same people.

14. Dawnmaster

Dawnmaster IncGamers Member

Well, first of all, if this is about commercial threads and the ladder questions ones etc, haven't they always been around? (I do realize you finally got sick of them, I did a long time ago, I just hit report when I see them now)

Or, secondly, is it the downgoing of the OT thread (which never interested me much, since we have an OT forum...)?

Mass bannings sounds fine to me, maybe it is time to clear this place out a bit.

But, your warning did sound a bit offensive, so you might consider going straight to Defcon5, some peeps will respond without thinking...

Ofcourse, if people are breaking rules by a lot, they should feel the consequenses, but when exactly are you gonna pull on the leash? I imagine people with 1 post making a bad comment would get a quicker ban than Ash (for example), or are we at a point of zero tolerancy now, older members know the rules, and should live by it strictly from this moment on?

However, I am glad to see that action is going to be taken, which brings me back to an old proposal I once mentioned (I forgot why it wasn't feasible anymore), give some guys (which you "fully trust") the ability to close threads, so things can't get out of hands as they do sometimes.
    (@mods: this isn't a hint that I wish to become a mod, I have far to little time in my life, I don't even have time to actually play the game anymore)
    Or some sort of Instant Respond System, where any mod online can see a report, and check it out on the spot, and deal with it right away, even if he/she is from another forum.
    Just to prevent flame wars, useless topics staying on the top of page 1 until Gorny/Dredd comes online, instant closing of commercial threads etc...

As pointed out, the community OT thread, is merely a bunch of random chit chat, where the actual OT forum is a gathering of OT topics on all issues, it would be nice to fit the smaller things in one thread, but I don't think it's feasible, the best result would still be random chit chat.
    So, eventhough the idea is nice, you'll always get a lot of garbage in it, even the nicest of people let themselves go from time to time.

About the ignore function, how does that work? Are people not able to sent you any messages then, or are you unable to see any threads/posts from them?
    In case 1: I have never had that problem, and if I ever would, I would simply contact a mod/admin, I'm sure they can do something, and if they need proove, they'd simply have to check the database.
    In case 2: That would be kinda reduntant, hard to follow/read it all.

About bannings etc, the easiest way out might be the "solution" I presented, or if you don't wish to change anything, simply thighten the rules, give less warnings, but bigger fonts in the rules when someone makes an account here.

Also, another cute idea would be to actually force people to read the rules, kinda like "answer this question to access your forum account", and then making people answer a random question, which would be very easy if you read the rules, or at the very least, read that rule in another browser screen to answer the question?
    Stuff like that.
    Sure it would be irritating, but it's a sacrifice I'll gladly make to get nicer forums (won't be much different than typing in the letters/numbers in those pictures), these are the nicest places I know on the internet, but a lot of garbage is running around.

15. Gorny

Gorny Banned

This isn't about the commercial threads or the ladder ones either. It's about the posting habits of certain people. It's not so much that I or Dredd finally got sick of them, the point here is that both Dredd and myself are getting complaints about certain people and the way they are acting around here. On top of that, some of the people we are reveiving complaints about happen to be people that we have been noticing problems (annoying yet minor problems) with. While there are (currently) no grounds and no reason to go banhappy, we have to act in some way.

It does have to do with the OT thread in part, but this also has to do with happenings outside the OT thread as well. While I am on the subject, some people are already on thin ice on the forums as a whole, having butted heads with Freet in the OTF, or other mods in other forums here. Dredd and I are awae of this and have taken it into account ...

Surely we will treat everyone far, and will take post history and time on the forums into account before doing anything drastic.

We can't give people the ability to close threads wihout making them a mod, nor can we require the rules to be read before you can post ...thought there is that checkbox that you click to confirm that you have read the rules.

16. Uncle_Mike

Uncle_Mike D2 PvP Moderator

I think a warning system would be nice such as can be seen on some other forums. Or at least mods should post more (not just pm) if they do not like something so that "the general public" knows you are not happy with something. To me the banning system is a bit unclear here. Do you always pm people with warnings about their attitude such as if it were an unwritten (or written) rule of moderating?

Obviously there are some instant-ban offences but I guess simple warnings in threads would work quite well. However it requires more work on part of mods than a simple click to warn system.

Let's take me for example. Are the mods fine with me or am I being under investigation and being discussed? Does the fact that I have not received any pm warnings mean that I am quite safe (except for direct and "hardcore" rule violations)?

Also, it might be a good idea to give reason in pubic for some of the bannings. Let's take the_jesus (IIRC that was the account) from the pvp forum. Was he a returned banee? Anything in particular he did to be banned after ~12 posts? the list goes on.

my 2 cents

Mike

17. Gorny

Gorny Banned

It's usually up to the individual mod to make a choice as to warn in public or via PM, the general consensus is to warn in public, and then in private with a more stearn warning. At the same time, you have to take into acount those that were already warned, both in public and in private, and in those cases, a bann with a reason shown to the banned user and/or an email to the user of why they wer banned is usually done.

Usually when we are not happy with something, we will post it in public, or if need be, in the pal forum first.

The catch with warnings in threads is that some (not all) do not go back and read the thread that the warning is in ...but we'll still post a warning in a thread. Another point about the (fairly new) click to warn system is that it is the same as sending a PM, you pick from a pre set list of offenses, and then have a space to write a PM into, so this works like PM'ing. Drawback, is that the preset offenses could use some tweaking as far as the preset options go.
    That we are ... erm, at least as far as me and Dredd are concerned.
    Most of the time, we do give a reason in public as to why who was banned and for how long, usually in whatever thread cused it. Or if we do not, we (myself and Dredd) are usually open to saying why via PM depending on what not. As to the_jesus, hat was in the Paladin Forum, and Heavangel is the one to ask for that. As to why he was banned, I still do not know and honestly cannot figure out why.
    Anytime.

18. Uchiha Sasuke

Uchiha Sasuke Banned

I hope this dosn't involve me... :innocent:

edit: I really don't understand what's going on exactly... but I always thought that the mods sort of "gave up" on the forums. I sort of read mike's post, and I think it said something about the mods posting more. Alot of the mods have relatively low post counts. I almost never see them in threads.

19. k/t

k/t Banned

HAHAHAHA! You HAVE to tell me who that is! There's someone I feel like that towards too. No, wait...three people. Four... But one main person.

I think the biggest problem is people who don't read the rules and post questions which have been asked repeatedly. I'd give those people temp bans in a heartbeat. Or at least a warning. 99% of them don't read the rules, look through the stickies or search for the answer before posting. Also, the Search function sucks. Oh, and there's been a large increase in the number of people including thinly-disguised swear words in their posts, and I've rarely seen anything done about that. So yes, I do tell people they've done something wrong, and yes, sometimes I do so in a somewhat rough manner. But I read the rules when I joined, and I read them again since, and I follow them, and I expect others to follow them too. And when you don't enforce the rules, people start breaking them. And when you don't do anything about that, they break them even more. And when you finally react, you do so in a knee-jerk way and leave yourself open to accusations of unfairness and favouritism. And stop accepting "I just joined so I didn't know" excuses. The rules spell everything out for you. If you didn't read them, perma ban. You should have.

Should the above have been organized in paragraphs? You bet. Will it be? No way. I'll use the stream-of-consciousness excuse.

20. Uchiha Sasuke

Uchiha Sasuke Banned

I've looked through some of the stickies... couldn't find what I was looking for... made a post... and got told to go look at the stickies. THEN, I find it was there all along. I'm sure theres plenty of people like me... that sure as hell dosn't warrant a temp ban. Also... people always go "out of their way" to tell someone to use the search feature... They could EASILY have given them a link, but instead decide to leave them with an empty "go use search forum". Like you said, the search feature is horrible. You can never find anything, and some people are OBSESSED with telling them to go use it.

One thing I find that stirs up trouble are people who post "reported for spamming/trolling/whatever" I mean, can't they just report it and get on with it? Telling them you reported them aggravates alot of people.
    Since I don't understand too much... I hope this post is in relevance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.