Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Community Mercenary Guide/Discussion

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Peacrusher, Mar 11, 2004.

1. Peacrusher

Peacrusher IncGamers Member

Community Mercenary Guide/Discussion

If you've notice some of my recent posts I've stated that I will be starting a new untwinked Summoning necro. (at least I won't twink him until I beat hell)

I want to focus on my mercenary decision. I have already made up my mind that the Act 2 Might merc is the best merc in the whole game for summoners. Obvious reasons. However, as for gear there are a few different schools of thought. To CB or MF... and they be done together?

My current merc for my lvl ** summoner/lvl ** merc too uses the following gear.

Tal's mask Resists and Leech
    Ethereal Guardian Angel (totally awesome armor with a 10 resist all jewel)
    Bonehew with amn + hel (I think I can replace runes now his str is high enuf.)

He works wonderfully, Only thing is he's still a little slow killing hell baal (3-5 min), but I don't mind that. My biggest gripe is the lack of mf so I don't get any bonus if he's the final strike. I gave him a steal skull once but the leach/lack of resist on helm were not a good choice at the time... Please remember his resist in hell are all 78 atm.... Survivability is good

What combo's do you find to be ultra effective for merc gear? Please share.

I'm even interested in other merc builds if you have a favorite....

2. GenXCub

GenXCub IncGamers Member

I'd use Guillaume's Face, Hone Sundan with Amn Amn Shael and a 4 ptopaz armor (or skullders if you're a rich boy). That'll give MF and 80% Crushing Blow.

3. Orcin

Orcin IncGamers Member

Here are some combos that I have found effective:

First combo:
    Vamp Gaze
    Duriel's Shell
    Bonehew (Amn/Amn)

This is a slow Baal-killer because of no crushing blow, but this merc will survive anywhere unattended. You need to get to about 76 and then you have enough strength from the Duriel's to wear the Bonehew without a Hel. You get 20-22% life leech (before the diff penalty) depending upon the stats of the gaze. You get reductions in phys & magic damage taken, and you get the valuable "cannot be frozen" mod. The Duriel's will max your resists eventually, and you will be in the high 60's fairly early in Hell. For Baal runs, swap out the gaze for a Guillame's Face and the Bonehew for a Hone Sundan (Amn/Amn/Shael).

Second combo:
    Steelskull
    Gladiator's Bane
    Tomb Reaver

This is the best magic find setup that I have used, but you can't equip this until level 84/85. The GB and Steelskull give enough decent mods to approach the survivability of the first setup with a very high magic find total even before socketing with ptopaz's. You will get max resists with a decent TR, and can get 19% life leech even with a 2-socket pole. You could substitute a Guardian Angel for the GB to get over 75% resists, but I prefer to have the "cannot be frozen" mod and a little bit of damage reduction.

These are not the only possibilities obviously, but I have experience with those and know that they will work in Act5 hell.

You probably won't have all of this or even most of it, but here is a list of good gear to try. Mix and match and see what you like. On some of these, you need to be careful of the strength and level requirements to be sure that you can use the combos.

Helms...
    Vamp gaze
    Steelskull
    Guillame's Face
    Tal's Mask
    Crown of Ages (for the rich)

Armors:
    Duriel's Shell
    Gladiator's Bane
    Guardian Angel
    Shaftstop
    Leviathan

Polearms:
    Bonehew
    Tomb Reaver
    Reaper's Toll
    Hone Sundan (ethereal preferably)

Repear's Toll is a great polearm, but I don't like it because it casts decrep and overwrites my other curses.

(edit: added Tal's mask which is always a good choice for a helm)

4. memememe173

memememe173 IncGamers Member

My Summoner's Might Merc, lvl 85, uses: Etheral Lionheart Boneweave, Perfect :thumbsup: Eth Arioc's Needle, and a Kira's. I don't baal with Necro, when I mf with him it's pit so I don't miss the lack of CB and find the higher level aura better.

My Zealot Holy Freeze Merc, lvl **, uses: Andadriel's Visage, Duriel's Shell and a near perfect Reaper's Toll

5. Peacrusher

I'm thinking a switch to hone might be the change my merc needs... I have a few 40% ed jewels and put an amn in at least one socket... Luckily enough my hone is ethereal.... That was the biggest reason I kept it.

I just can't bring myself to change my merc's current helm and armor... It's just too good. Isn't there a rune that has can't be frozen? I honesty can't remember and I don't have my info sheets in front of me.

6. Orcin

Orcin IncGamers Member

It's Cham in armor.

7. gvandale

gvandale IncGamers Member

my merc uses the following:
    44/23 leviathan
    8/8/18 up'd um'd gaze
    3x amn tomb reaver

i love it. great defensive mods, res, mf blah blah blah. he's wicked rad.

g

8. memememe173

or in helm, course that's pretty expensive

9. Necrochild313

Necrochild313 IncGamers Member

My favorite merc atm uses an eth bonehew amnamn with a gris armor (ptopazed) and a stealskull (ptopazed).

Obviously he's my MFing buddy...lol

:thumbsup:

10. Patchwork

Patchwork IncGamers Member

-

Gotta have the tomb reaver, not only for the MF, but for the revives that pop up when he kills that add to your army!

11. memememe173

Bah humbug. Everyone mfs with there summoner except me cause I need him to where full Trang's, to complete my goal.

12. gvandale

ur goal being?

i mf with every char i make. i hate pvp. and if built right, any char can mf when in final game stage's.

g

13. Peacrusher

Lets not make this a mf discussion... I want a merc that kills swiftly and will continue to survive.... Mf is a plus I know but lets face it... Mf is like riding a dead horse.... it only works part of the time and only if it's revived. :scratch:

Not realy sure what I meant by that.......

14. gvandale

well my perfect killing merc gear would be:
    PERFECT ETHERAL UP'D HONE SUNDARI 3X AMN
    GUILLAME'S FACE (UM)
    PERFECT ETHERAL ELITE STONE ARMOR

That will give him GODLY defense, HELLA cb, good RES, and leech out the ying-yang

There's a ton of mixes, that aren't expensive. Too many people focus on perfect this and that. But what they miss out on is that if you can evenly distribute your gear based on mods needed, you'd be rad tad!

My defiance merc on my wind druid is going to use STEEL PILLAR (AMN) / STONE ETHERAL SACRED ARMOR / ETHERAL UP'D GAZE

War pillar is hella cheap on east (I can't sell my extra one to save my life), stone is cheap (relatively speaking) and gaze ain't too much either.

I'd imagine that same setup being wicked rad for a might merc as well, as it's got a ton of good mods to boot.

g

15. sir goatscelot

sir goatscelot IncGamers Member

For another option, you could try the rogue merc. Inner sight at high lvls is proven to be just as good as a blessed aim. It may not be the best choice but with a wall of skelly's etc, she more than holds her own. It also gives you another dmg type which could not be all bad :) Her AI also keeps her out the way but at the same time she tends to walk around too much.

I would also like to start a no twink summoner.., er I did start one yesterday lol. I usually don't play ladder so I started a ladder necro yesterday so as to force myself to go no twink. So far so good at lvl 18 :) act2 with Rads dead.

Peacrusher, if your playing uswest ladder, let me know and maybe we can play 2 no twink summoners together lol. If not, good luck :)

16. Necrochild313

The "revives" are dumber than dirt, dumber even than necro revives.

:eek:

But I don't have a reaver atm, if i ever find an eth one you bet your balls I'll use that instead of the eth bonehew, my chars all use act2 mercs so I'm sure I could relocate the bonehew accordingly :D

17. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Is that even possible?

18. Necrochild313

I did some testing on SP, and yes.

These revives walk PAST our enemies to run into walls, whereas our revives run into walls trying to get to our enemies.

19. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

That is indeed dumber. Damn and I thought we hit rock bottom with our own Revives.

20. JCX

JCX IncGamers Member

The unique war pike is nice for the merc. I have a defiance merc on my baba and he's capable of taking down the clone. The only drawback is no leech.