Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Coming back to D2 after 4 year break...

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Doodlydo, Sep 25, 2006.

1. Doodlydo

Doodlydo IncGamers Member

Coming back to D2 after 4 year break...

I have a couple of questions,

1. Do people still play non-ladder?

2. How hard is it to level solo now?(1-99)

3. Are sojs still currency?

4. Are MF runs through hell still possible?

5. Sorc's still the kings of MF runs?(before I left Barbs were doing very well)

Any other important information would be great as well.

Thanks! :smiley:

2. Evrae Altana

Evrae Altana IncGamers Member

1. Yes
    2. From 1-90, it's fairly easy. Above 90, it gets to be time consuming.
    3. Yes, and HRs and various duped rares.
    4. Yes
    5. They cannot be kings because they're female. :tongue: They can still MF pretty well, although paladins have also become pretty popular MF chars as well.

3. Doodlydo

What's the average time it takes to get lvl 1-80? I really don't remeber leveling normally :tongue: I just remeber leveling everything in cows.

4. MapleBarb

MapleBarb IncGamers Member

you should also read up on torches and anni since they are new since you've left. And both add to skills. Other then that I'd suggest taking a look at the new runewords that have come out since. And, well if you dont have any equip just yet I'd suggest you starting in ladder since you can do more (such as upping runes, more runewords, etc) then in non. and even if ladder was to reset soon? by then you may be able to have some ladder only runewords that would help you in non ladder.

5. Doodlydo

I read up a little on Ladder and think that's where I'm going to start. I'm starting brand new, I sold my account when I quit so I have to buy the Battlechest again. I'm still thinking about it, considering the Battlechest is still $40.

The only question I have about ladder is how much more difficult is it to level then normal? Also are the classes more balanced now? or same old same old.

6. MapleBarb

by normal you mean d2 minus lord of destruction? because if so? well from what I see in east ladder there's no way to lvl a non expansion char to 99 these days. Only because you get so little exp from anywhere but baal runs past a certain lvl :(. if by ladder you mean ladder vs non? I would say its about the same. In both cases you do baal runs until you're blue in the face. and then do thousands more lol.

re more balanced my opinion would be not really. but there are some fun builds I'm sure you'll probably enjoy playing. even if they're not as powerful as hammerdins etc.

7. Doodlydo

Yeah I meant Ladder vs. Non-Ladder. I thinking about leveling a Paladin for MFing, I'm reading up on them trying to find a good build for PvM. I'm still wondering about rushing though, Is it still possible to a rush a toon to Hell? I doubt it will matter because I will be playing solo but it's good to know incase I ever get some people to do it for me.

Anyways Thank you very much for the help.

8. MapleBarb

its possible to rush tho its still the same :( a lot of them will get rushed and then not give the forge. My suggestion to you would be ask a friend to rush one of your mules and you can then rush one of his. And this way each one of you gets your forges.

9. Doodlydo

We'll I may just not rush my first character and keep the runes. I'm going to level a hammerdin so PvM shouldn't be too hard. Items are the only really problem I see but it shouldn't be that bad.

Are there any low-level runwords? I remeber having tons of crap runes would be nice to have something to do to them beside upgrade. I suppose the drop rate on low runes is the same as before?

10. bruticus

bruticus IncGamers Member

i think Spirit (TalThulOrtAmn) in 4 socket swords OR shields is a fairly good low-level RuneWord that gives you good return for your inexpensive runes. +2 skills, decent fcr, fhr and more.

11. Noodle

Noodle Moderator

If you're going to be playing solo anyway, I strongly encourage you to consider playing Single Player. You can set the players setting anywhere from one to eight, meaning the monsters will give you the same experience and higher drops as if 1 - 8 players were in the game. You'll save yourself a ton of time.

You can also use ATMA to have unlimited stashes, and other useful tools. Multiplaying through TCP/IP games is common as well, and magic finding is a breeze as you can keep your map once you find a good one. My Meph runner, for instance, has the stairway down to level three of the Durance next door to the waypoint. Very convenient.

Check out the Single PLayer forum if you'd like to learn more. I left B-Net for SP about three years ago, and have never regretted it.

- Noodle

12. MapleBarb

insite is also low lvl since the highest rune required is a sol.

13. Doodlydo

Well single player sounds great, but I'm going to be PvPing later on once I get some gear and trade bait. I'm leveling an MF Hammerdin first to get some decent then I will roll something else.

I'm mainly just looking for ways to get back into D2 from a fresh start. It's been so long sense I've played I forgot most of the low-level stuff.

Btw is Map Hack still legal? and if it is where I can find it?

Thanks.

14. bruticus

bruticus IncGamers Member

map hacks and anything with with word "hack" in it .. not "legal", but apparently still used.

you probably won't get too many hints here on where to find them though.

15. Evrae Altana

Maphack is a surefire way to get your B.Net account and CD-Key banned.

16. MapleBarb

map hack was never legal. And during this ladder its also a rather fast way to get your account suspended. So far they had at least 3 massive bannings and if this ladder goes on much longer, AND if people continue to use mh? wouldnt surprise me to see another one happening.

17. Doodlydo

I don't think where talking about the same thing, I don't remeber the name of the program...I remeber it was legal though, all it did was bring up a full map of the zone you where in with names of the mobs ect...

It may have not been legal but me and my friends never get banned for using it, and almost every cyber cafe in our area had it installed already. I just assumed it was legal. This was in 2001 though and blizzard really didn't care much about D2. So I could be wrong...

I'm not trying to find a hack progarm or anything like that, I just assumed it was still a staple of playing D2.

18. Evrae Altana

Let's see.....reveal map?
    Reveal monster locations?
    I know!! Maphack!

19. Doodlydo

We'll I had no idea it was no allowed. Good thing I asked though It would suck it get banned for that.

Thank you, you guys just saved me $40 :tongue:

20. Evrae Altana

Not to mention the loss of all of any items you may acquire later. :wink3: