Comcast cable...

Cragthorn

Diabloii.Net Member
Comcast cable...

Are there known issues with Comcast cable modem service and gaming in general? I can't stay connected for anything. It's gotta be about the worst cable modem service I've ever had.

mhl12

Diabloii.Net Member
Most of the cable modems that you get from cable companies are used. But so many people have them so they must work fine. Take a look at the link in my sig for bnet connection problems to see if you find what you're looking for.

CoopMoe

Diabloii.Net Member
mhl12, thanks for trying to help, but i really think in this case it IS comcast. i have comcast internet too and i've been experiencing some rough times. usually it works rather well but i hit lagspikes out of nowhere and it can get frustrating, i also get a lot of lost connections in games, no good in NM and hell when XP penalties for dying can make you lose hours of baalrunning. damn stygian doll swarms.

just remember you're only playing a game and theres not really anything you can do, unless of course you can have the option of switching ISPs

festers50

Diabloii.Net Member
I have comcast and have no problems staying connected, perhaps it has something to do with locations :scratch:

mhl12

Diabloii.Net Member
if you really think that it's your isp's problem, you should try contacting them for help.

Feetstench

Diabloii.Net Member
I am a comcast subscriber and move frequently. I have discovered that the degrees of service can vary greatly from bourgh to bourgh.

You might also want to check your signal strength. It is affected by Damage to cables (I had a 10ft section filled with water from lying flat in the porch roof) and incorect routing, some cable installers are lazy and will noot corectly split cables.

Cable should be split like this. From pole to house the cable then gets split to 2 lines. 1 line gets dedicated to ISP and the other to TV service. All seperate TV related splits should just be off the Dedicated TV line NOT the ISP line. Some time this isnt practical (my bedroom TV is next to my desk) so you live with a 80% signal.

FINALLY!

I'v been waiting forever to post on a topic I know somthing about!!!!! :clap:

CoopMoe

Diabloii.Net Member
how do you check signal strength, i could do that when i was using wireless, but i don't know how to when i'm wired.

Ax2Grind

Diabloii.Net Member
Here's a link that might help

Cragthorn said:
Are there known issues with Comcast cable modem service and gaming in general? I can't stay connected for anything. It's gotta be about the worst cable modem service I've ever had.
Cox in northern Virginia was switching from a dual-line analog to a single-line digital and during the entire time, about six months or so, the connection was horrid. Though there were moments of clarity, at which time my rank in Quake2 rose, the majority of the time ping increased beyond 500 and stayed there for longer than just rush hour. There were many who complained, and Cox sent out people who tried observing the issue, but it seemed every time they did the problem wouldn't be all that bad. Ironic, but if they had told people what they were doing and what was going to happen there wouldn't have been as much problem. Businesses never, ever do that, however.

The site I used to find out a lot of information was http://www.dslreports.com but I've long since forgotten my password and such there. The issue was well documented, after Media General sold it's system to Cox.