Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

colors are not the problem

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by DarkGoat, Jul 3, 2008.

1. DarkGoat

DarkGoat IncGamers Member

colors are not the problem

As you can see below, brightness is not the main issue, nor colors. These pictures clearly show why diablo 2 looks better than diablo 3.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. tuxor

tuxor IncGamers Member

Re: colors are not the problem

Gates, mercs, and ancients?

/me is confused.

3. DarkGoat

No, it's the textures and the general realism. Look at the buildings and the gate in the first pic for example. You dont see that kind of detail in d3.

4. ThulRasha

ThulRasha Diablo: IncGamers Member

I very much disagree that D2 looks better than D3.

The textures are indeed more detailed, that is because they are not really textures at all. Diablo2 was not a 3D game as such. The only thing it used was a perspective view where the same 2D graphics were displayed slightly different. To get the same effect now in a full 3D world, you would need to do a lot of texture swapping, resulting in a sloppy non smooth game.

5. DarkGoat

There already are many games with similar detail in full 3d, and although they are very high end games, by the time diablo 3 is released any standard computer will be able to run them.

6. Swiffer

Swiffer IncGamers Member

Yeah, and all of those 'many' games are finished, whereas *gasp* shock horror, Diablo 3 is still in development. I know, it might be hard for you to get your head around that fact, but it really is true. Diablo 3 isn't finished, and i highly doubt that all the people that wrote the 3d engine are off on vacation because it is finished.

I also disagree that all these 'high end' games will be able to run just fine on 'standard' computers when Diablo 3 is released. You might not know it, but if you look outside the hardcore gaming community, people don't upgrade their computers anywhere near as often. Blizzard games are designed to run on a wide range of systems for just that reason. Sure, they expect most D2 players will have upgraded their machine since LOD came out, but they know most of their player base aren't running top end rigs and make their games accordingly.

The art when the characters stepped out into the Leoric Highlands was fantastic, and immediately made me think back to how Baldurs Gate looked years and years ago (whose fully hand drawn environments still look great to this day).

7. DarkGoat

You dont think I'm aware that it's still in development? Things like the general style of art are decided at the beginning, and they don't change. When you looked at the early screenshots of WoW, did you think there was the slightest chance that it would end up looking like diablo? No0, because that's not the style of art they decided to use, and it was clear from the earliest of screenshots.

Unfortunately, I didn't say they should assume everyone has top end rigs. I said the exact opposite.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  8. Swiffer

Swiffer IncGamers Member

Nice try at answering a quote by taking it out of context. I was responding to your quote:

Emphasis is mine. My mention of them not expecting you to have a top end rig was aimed directly at your statement about the many 'very high end games' and how the rigs needed for those current games would end up being 'standard' machines when D3 is finally released, which as i will say again, is quite frankly fantasy.

Context is everything, and ignoring it doesn't make your argument convincing ;)

9. DarkGoat

Saying that something is "quite frankly fantasy" doesn't make your argument convincing either.

10. Thunderchild

Thunderchild IncGamers Member

I think that art texture and -minor- details are exactly the things that fall under finishing touches, or polish.
    I really don't understand this trend... is it something from Wow? all the players immediately became griefers that complain over -every- -single- -little- -thing-.

The game is far from being done, up to this point they made 2 excellent games and now you think you know better than them what they should or shouldn't do?

Correct me if I'm mistaken but I -think- that they have a rather strong inclination for people to actually -want- to play the game.

Why is everyone acting like Blizzard is trying to deprave that from them?

You aren't happy? go and play D2... but for the Love of God stop sticking your head inside the kitchen and whining that you don't like the smell.

If you don't like it- don't eat it. But at least wait until it's done

11. Flux

Flux Administrator

There are some things that 2d games do better than 3d, and depicting tiny, detailed textures and surfaces is one of them. 3D doesn't have that level of resolution, though it may some day, as processing power increases.

I'll also point out that you've pictured 3 static areas in D2; places created entirely by the art crew and tweaked and refined. Random dungeon areas do not have that level of detail, or when they do you can see the repeating textures. We've not seen any static areas of D3 yet; no towns were shown in the gameplay. Just semi-random dungeons. It's possible that when we see the d3 towns, assuming they're chunks of set art and not randomly created from puzzle pieces each time, they'll be amazingly detailed and hand crafted. the concept art for them certainly looks cool, at least.

12. Brother Laz

Brother Laz IncGamers Member

Actually, D2 and D1 look realistic. D3 does not.

It's not about detail, or rainbows, or brightness. It's about catacombs looking grey in D1/D2 and neon green in D3, and shoulders looking realistic in D1/D2 and giant with spikes in D3.

13. KiLLJOi

KiLLJOi IncGamers Member

I don't know if all of you have forgotten...but D3 is not being developed by the same people who gave us the first two installments

of course they are going to look different, but as Thunderchild was saying, I think this topic should hold off until we have a little more evidence of what the game will actually look like towards the end of development

14. Angel_of_Wrath

Angel_of_Wrath IncGamers Member

Yep, so true. Go look in the Halls of Vaught or The Pit for examples of that. I'm looking forward to see how Caldeum is represented since it will probably play a major role in D3, and the trailer makes it look huge/epic.

15. Neferim

Neferim IncGamers Member

http://www.gamespot.com/video/930659/6193139/diablo-iii-interview

Not sure if you've seen this interview with Rob Pardo or not, but he says that all 5 classes are pretty much done and playable as well as the first act, or what would be the equivalent of a "first act" as far as D2 terms go. They've got multiplayer up and running, and are mainly just filling in content for the rest of the game. They've been working on the game for around 5 years, and from the sounds of it, they seem pretty optimistic about how for along in development they are.

What I'm trying to say is that if people have concerns about something they saw in the gameplay videos, I don't think that it's premature to bring it up now. Waiting too long in case it changes before they show us the next videos may be waiting too long, and it won't hurt to let Blizzard know what we think about what they have so far even if they were already heading in the direction of some of the criticisms people put forward.

16. ThulRasha

ThulRasha Diablo: IncGamers Member

Name one of these many games.

You can't.
    There are no 3D games with that level of detail. Age of Conan comes close with the amount of textures they use, but look at the payoff. When running trough two maps your 4gig memory is filled and it's so slow that you will see each texture going trough 6 stages, breaking immersion massively.
    And that is exactly what I meant. If you want so many high resolution textures, it's going to get slow on even the fastest computers and graphics cards.

17. CYBERPUNK

CYBERPUNK IncGamers Member

I'm sorry that you're catching so much flack on this @Darkgoat as I completely agree with you, after hearing the dude talk about how they're taking the WoW approach of "larger more fantasy style textures" and cartooning the whole world up, I was like "WTH?!? that's TOTALLY NOT Diablo/DiabloII"

ah well, whatever I'll prolly still be replaying D2 years down the road, but it remains to be seen if D3 will have such staying power

18. Cwicseolfor

Cwicseolfor IncGamers Member

You know what, you're completely right.

Warning: swearz

19. Thunderchild

Thunderchild IncGamers Member

You know what?
    fine...
    let's examine D2- your oh so perfect game apparently.
    The fact that auras sucked, that the resolution was horrifying and that the colors on the armor were totally off and shifted oddly didn't bother you?
    There are -dozens- of examples where the graphics in D2 sucked like hell, but you still enjoyed it.
    The magical effects were really unimpressive as well.

Things are bound to change, for better or worse. But you're turning this into a celebrated cry-mongering when the truth is simple- the game is still being made.

and D1 looked realistic?! yeah, the lightning spells there were very good hm? There too, the graphics were okay, nothing beyond that.

So stop crying, you are not pleased with it-fine. But why must I see these infantile complaints everywhere?
    You will not persuade me that a game like Diablo looked "realistic", as I doubt you saw tons of demons to judge that- it's simply what you are used to.
    You -cannot- rely on a frigging replay of a movie on an unfinished product to state all the "world shattering" announcements you are making.

Blah, this is just tiresome. People are simply on the lookout for things to whine about, yish

20. Neferim

Neferim IncGamers Member

I don't think anyone said that Diablo 2 was perfect or had the greatest graphics of all time, and of course we all still played the game despite its flaws. Does that mean we are not allowed to have input as far as what we would like to see in Diablo 3? Do Diablo 2's graphical inadequacies in any way justify the inadequacies of future games? I am not saying that graphics on D3 are bad, and I'm certainly not saying that I will refuse to buy it if they stay the way they are. All I am saying is that I would like to see some things changed.

As far as realism goes, I find it a bit odd that everyone's response to "I wish [XXX] looked a little more realistic" is "It's a fantasy game! F-A-N-T-A-S-Y! It's not realistic. DEMONS! ETC!" We all know that the game isn't -reality- but things in the game can look still look realistic. Many of us would like the character models and armor to look more realistic because the sprites looked more realistic in the previous games, and it's a style we are pleased with. True, I haven't seen many demons from hell to compare to the game, but I have seen human beings and pieces of armor.

Finally, I just thought I'd point out that the part of the game that was demonstrated in the gameplay video is pretty much done, as was stated in the interview I linked to earlier in this thread. You seem pretty upset about people giving criticism on the gameplay video, but I don't understand why. Just relax and either participate in the discussion or move on to something you find more interesting. As a famous hip-hop artist once said
    "Burn the negativity down to ashes,
    Let the positivity grow like grasses..." :)