Colored items.

draffut

Diabloii.Net Member
Colored items.

I've searched high and low, to no avail. Perhaps I just don't how to look for it. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knows of a in-depth list of how to modify the color of items?

I know for example, the Faithful prefix colors an item white (similar appearance to Sigon's), and of Quickness suffix colors an item yellow. But is there a comprehensive (or somewhat close to that) list somewhere? Does anyone know how the game determines which color is "dominant" (i.e. if one item has two different color'ed affixes, which one shows up)?

SSoG

Diabloii.Net Member
Don't know, but the easiest way to color items is to stick gems into socketed (nonmagical) items. They will color the item every time.

I frequently make "Channelwear", which is entire outfits that I keep in my stash and put on before leaving a game so I look superl33t in channel. It's all about the Fashion.

Edit: Gem quality makes no difference when coloring items, and each gem will color the item the corresponding color (Emeralds = green, Sapphires = blue, Rubies = red, Amethysts = purple, Topazes = yellow, Diamonds = White, Skulls = Black). Try it out in Short Swords to get a good idea of what it'll look like, because Short Swords take the color very well.

Orphan

Diabloii.Net Member
Edit: Gem quality makes no difference when coloring items, and each gem will color the item the corresponding color
Note that the the perfect gems of each type will have a slightly lighter colour then their lower counterparts. Still, the effect is generally the same colour.

To the OP:

Item color's are controlled by transform flags in the data files. Not all affixes will change the colour of an item of course, but those that do have a 4 digit transform code in MagicPrefix.txt and MagicSuffix.txt. The codes, and what they represent are:

# - code - Colour
00 - whit - White
01 - lgry - Light Gray
02 - dgry - Dark Gray
03 - blac - Black
04 - lblu - Light Blue
05 - dblu - Dark Blue
06 - cblu - Crystal Blue
07 - lred - Light Red
08 - dred - Dark Red
09 - cred - Crystal Red
10 - lgrn - Light Green
11 - dgrn - Dark Green
12 - cgrn - Crystal Green
13 - lyel - Light Yellow
14 - dyel - Dark Yellow
15 - lgld - Light Gold
16 - dgld - Dark Gold
17 - lpur - Light Purple
18 - dpur - Dark Purple
19 - oran - Orange
20 - bwht - Bright White

As RTB has mentioned previously, if an item has 2 affixes (a prefix and a suffix) then the suffix's transform color (if it has one) will take precedence.

Gems also have a transform number (not code), which can be found in gems.txt. For example, all the Amethyst's gems except for perfect Amethyst have a transform code of 18 (dark purple). The perfect Amethyst has a transform code of 17 (light purple).

Uniques and Sets also have their respective transform codes listed in uniqueitems.txt and setitems.txt.

That's the first part. The second part involves what aspects of the item actually changes color. This is controlled by weapons.txt and armor.txt. These two files have two fields called "Transform" and "InvTrans", which relate to the weapon/armor image as it appears on your character and the weapon/armor image as it appears in the inventory, respectively.

If the "Transform" column has a 0 in it, the item will never change color when worn by your character (though, if the InvTrans column has a value in it other than 0, then the item's color will change in the inventory). An example of such an item is the full helm. I cannot recall what the other numbers mean, but they represent various colors of an item. Going from memory, the number 1 represents the grey parts of an item, which would mean that if a weapon/armor has a value of 1 in it's "Transform" or "InvTrans" columns, and a magicprefix/suffix or gem was placed in it, then any "grey" color on the item will be replaced with the color of the magicprefix/suffix/gem.

Edit: For the record, if you do not have the magicprefix, magicsuffix, uniqueitems, setitems and gems text files, then an easy location to find them is ATMA's config directory.

SSoG

Diabloii.Net Member
Note that the the perfect gems of each type will have a slightly lighter colour then their lower counterparts. Still, the effect is generally the same colour.
Wow, I never noticed that before. Kind of neat, thanks. :laugh:

jakotaco

Diabloii.Net Member
Wow, I never noticed that before. Kind of neat, thanks. :laugh:
Neither did I, and if I had known there was a difference I would most probably have bet higher quality get was more color. :laugh:

So anyone knows of good base items that really show off the colors? for example I know there are some sword design that the whole blade turns out in a really deep hue while some just gets a faint notion of the color, while some items such as crystal swords only gets the handle...

What base items and sockets/affixes makes the most pimpish channel gear? :cloud9:

SSoG

Diabloii.Net Member
Neither did I, and if I had known there was a difference I would most probably have bet higher quality get was more color. :laugh:

So anyone knows of good base items that really show off the colors? for example I know there are some sword design that the whole blade turns out in a really deep hue while some just gets a faint notion of the color, while some items such as crystal swords only gets the handle...

What base items and sockets/affixes makes the most pimpish channel gear? :cloud9:
I usually use Short Swords for channelwear, if I'm trying to just get a nice color. The entire blade will take on the color, making it very visible. There are some other blades that will take the color very well, but many of them don't show up well in Channel, depending on how your character holds them. Usually, the more white you can see on a non-magical version of the weapon, the more color you'll see when you socket it.

Shield-wise, I love Large Shields. I think they're the best looking shields, and they show color extremely well. This is the only choice I ever make.

All of the armors tend to show color pretty equally, although how great the effect is will depend on what that armor looks like on your character. For instance, you could have the purplest armor on the planet and it'd barely show on an Assassin. For that, I'd really just recommend trial-and-error. Burn a dozen chippies trying out different combinations until you find one you like.

Helms tend to follow the sword rule. The more white or light grey they have showing, the better they're going to display the color. Pelts and Primal Helms (the druid and barb class-specifics) don't usually have a lot of white, but they REALLY take colors extremely vividly, too.