Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

College

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Ting, Apr 4, 2004.

1. Ting

Ting IncGamers Member

College

Anyone here go to a well-known top tier school?

If so, what was your resume in high school?

And additionally, is being on the varsity tennis, basketball, and soccer teams, 1500 SAT's, and 4.0 GPA good enough to get into a school like Duke?

:scratch:

2. eddy

eddy Banned

could someone explain to me how the GPA thing is determined? i could never get it, but im told 4 is v good.

3. Ting

Ting IncGamers Member

A regular class is worth 4.0 points for an A, 3.0 for a B, 2.0 for a C. 1.0 for a D, and 0 for an F.

An honors class is worth .5 more than a regular class.

An AP class is worth .5 more than an honors class, and 1.0 more than a regular class.

So if you have six classes, and you have two regular classes with a B in each, an A in an honors class, and an A, a B, and a C in each of your three AP classes, you would have a GPA (grade point average) of [(3 + 3 + 4.5 + 5.0 + 4.5 + 4.0)/6] which would come out to 4.0. Heh, didn't even mean for the numbers to work out to 4.0 ;)

4. eddy

eddy Banned

so you could get a gpa of 6.0 then? or is perfect left at 4?

5. dantose

dantose IncGamers Member

I go to West Point. We are considered to be very high up there esp. in our engineering courses.

6. Ting

Ting IncGamers Member

In theory you could get a GPA of 5.0, but 4.6 is a shoo-in for Ivy League (so I've heard) but I'm not going to be getting a 4.6

7. Corneo

Corneo IncGamers Member

I go to UCDavis...which isn't a top tier school but it does catches an eye. My resume in highschool is just boring. No extracircular activies. Just 4.0 in highschool and that was it.

8. tydon

tydon IncGamers Member

You will have no problem getting into Duke with that. Duke is a good school, but it isnt like the harvard, yale, etcs. You could probably have gotten a 1000 on your sats with your resume and got in. I would say, as long as you have been active in some clubs, which schools look at, then your 100% fine.

I got into Gonzaga with a 3.8, bunch of clubs and honors, 28 ACT, and a few DECA competetions at State, but, I only got a 4,000 scholarship a year :(, got offered 10,000 at PLU, Pacific Lutheran University, but I did not really wanna go there.

9. mysnistaken

mysnistaken Banned

Some colleges determine GPA from their own system, high schools do it differently. Case in point...at my high school its 4 points for regular classes and 5 points for honors and AP classes

10. Corneo

Corneo IncGamers Member

Someone was a busy body in high school. I wished I did something like that. Instead now I am stuck @ cow town and paying through the nose.

11. tydon

tydon IncGamers Member

Well, I figured it was better to have no life in highschool than to have no life in the future :)

12. Croup

Croup IncGamers Member

I go to Dickinson College, a top 50 liberal arts school (that also boasts the best college library in the country - yes!!) in Central Pennsylvania. I was #5 in my class (out of 87, heh), had a 92.5 average (whatever that translates to), and only two extra-curricular activities, being academic bowl and varsity soccer. I think I might have put cheerleading on my application too just to be a douche.

I only didn't get into one school outright, and that was Trinity College in Connecticut wher I was waitlisted. I did get in anyways, but chose Dickinson instead. I've been a huge fan of my education here and I wouldn't say that I NEED to go to an Ivy League school or anything of that nature to prove myself.

That being said, I also didn't care about high school at all. I did the minimal work from junior year on and tried to enjoy myself as best as possible. College is the same way in that the education you get is only part of the experience. It's all about figuring out what you want to do (or don't want to do), having some fun and making some friends, and enjoying yourself. The key is to keep it all in balance, but there are other things besides just the education.

13. Cygnus434

Cygnus434 IncGamers Member

I graduated highschool with a 5.10 GPA I think....on a scale up to about 6 (due to honors points). I think the valedictorian (incidentally, my best friend and he goes to college with me--we car pool sometimes) had a GPA of about 6.0 even I think.

We are in Florida, and as you know, the school system down here isn't rated very well, so no outside schools will accept you hardly. I never even applied to any school but the one 18 miles from my house--University of South Florida.

My friend applied to Georgia Tech and got in, but they didn't offer him any money. We opted to stay in state and close to home so as to save money and get scholarships.

It's absolutely not worth the extra money to goto an Ivy-league school for the simple fact that you will spend about 2.5 years of it doing exactly the same gen eds as you would get at a stinkin' community college. Then when you get into your major, maybe the benefits of being in the upper-notch school will kick in, but again, probably not.

The bottom line is, bodies of knowledge are bodies of knowledge. Whether you rent a book from the library and learn it on your own or goto Harvard and learn it, its the same stupid knowledge.

Save your money. Opt for a state school. If you really wanna save money, Opt for a school very nearby and just commute. I would rather pay the $35-$100 for parking than the thousands of dollars to live on the dorm and run out of food constantly, hehe.

14. Ting

Ting IncGamers Member

My cousin goes to USF... o_O

15. Corneo

Corneo IncGamers Member

I think in general going to a state college versus an Ivy league college is all the same. Unless that Ivy league college is famous for your major. I am seriously thinking on going to grad school because I want to know how far I can go. That's when I think it matters a bit where you go. It the end, the degree only certifies you to do a job. It's up to you to use it wisely and perform well.

16. Ev_

Ev_ IncGamers Member

Consider yourself lucky if your high school will give higher than a 4.0 GPA. Mine wouldn't. I took 1 AP and about 10 honors classes, and all were on a 4.0 scale.

I graduated as valedictorian with a 3.96 GPA, 1330 SAT's, and a member of the National Honor Society. I'm now 1 month from graduating from the University of Southern California, TIME magazine's school of the year a few years ago. The year I came in, the average freshman HS GPA was around 1250, but now it's around 1400. Pretty much all the separate schools within USC are on their respective top-20 lists.

17. masterazn

masterazn Banned

Isn't West Point a military school?

18. MithrandirX

MithrandirX IncGamers Member

I was a high school guidance counselor at a public school for two years, and am now a history teacher. I also have a B.A. from Vanderbilt.

In my experience, most of the applicants to the very best schools have a 4.0 or higher GPA, or perhaps slightly lower if they went to an especially difficult private school. DO NOT COUNT ON YOUR GOOD GPA, because it is not enough these days. Most of the top 10 USNWR schools are looking for students with excellent writing skills, interesting or unique extra-curricular activities, and very high test scores.

I can't tell you the number of students with excellent grades I have seen denied. Duke, for instance, happens to be VERY picky in this department. Two years ago, our valedictorian was denied there, and she had some ridiculous GPA way over 4.0.

My advice to you would be this:

1. VISIT THE SCHOOL(s) Make a private appointment with someone in the admissions department, and come prepared with a list of questions.

2. Spend ALOT of time working on your essay. One memorable student wrote his essay on his experience with giardia, an intestinal parasite. It was witty, and, more importantly, UNIQUE. He is currently at Yale. Another of my students wrote his on brushing his teeth in the morning. Stanford.

3. Get together some letters of reccommendation, and not just from your guidance counselor. (I wrote 249 LOR last year, I have a feeling colleges ignore guidance counselor letters). Your church leader, community figures, alumni are all good options.

4. Take BOTH the SAT and the ACT. You will probably end up taking both anyway, as most of the better schools require the SAT, but if you are a good test-taker, then it's best to give the admissions people both. If you get below a 1300 on the SAT or a 28 or so on the ACT, you may want to try again. High test scores are one of the criterion admissions officers use to break ties.

5. Never. NEVER go somewhere where you hate the city/weather/student body just because it has a high academic reputation.

Also, a previous poster said that a state university is about the same as an ivy league. This is true in many cases, but the most important thing is finding a school that is a good fit for you. Almost every kdi who comes through my office has some idea of what his major will be, and almost every one ends up changing his mind. Pick a place with lots of options. One warning, however: academic reputation will have a huge effect on the range of grad schools open to you.

Anyway, best of luck to you. I'm sure you'll find a place somewhere. Also, it is really important to apply to ALOT of schools. If you are really interested in the absolute TOP of the list, then I would suggest applying to 15 or so schools, because you just can't tell what those admissions folks will do. Flukes abound.

best of luck
    Mith

19. th5418

th5418 Banned

I'm pretty sure it is.

20. Corneo

Corneo IncGamers Member

Yes.

10 chars