Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

College Football Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by AeroJonesy, Oct 29, 2006.

1. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

College Football Thread

The others have died out, so this is the fresh new one. And it comes with a pair of questions:

How is USC ranked number 1 in the BCS computer polls? And which 2 AP pollsters keep voting West Virginia #1?

2. SuggestiveName

SuggestiveName IncGamers Member

Where are you seeing this? espn.com has only the usa today poll as far as I can see.

3. LonghornRob

LonghornRob IncGamers Member

I was wondering about the West Virginia thing myself. USC WAS ranked #1 in the computer polls because they had beaten Nebraska and Arkansas, two teams that the computers also liked. The sad thing is they might not fall below Texas this week in the BCS, after their loss.

Speaking of Texas, that game on Saturday was incredible! I have to give mad props to Colt McCoy for recovering beautifully after throwing that INT (4TDs) and Gene Chizik for making yet another set of great halftime adjustments to keep Tech completely scoreless in the 2nd half. Those two 4th down stands near the end of the game were thrilling to watch. Next up is Oklahoma State... ah crap that means another thriller to the end no doubt.

4. Yaboosh

Yaboosh IncGamers Member

Lets go FSU WOOO WOOOOO!!!!!

My only hope is that we lose out for the rest of the season so we can get some coaching changes going. For Gods SAKE BOBBY RETIRE!!!! Don't make them fire you. And take your son with you. Mickey, you can stay.

5. AeroJonesy

Maybe I caught last week's or something. I was at si.com checking it out.

6. SuggestiveName

Looks like they are up now, anyways.

7. PatMaGroin

PatMaGroin IncGamers Member

The only question I have, is why does everyone keep saying there's a chance that OSU and Michigan could rematch in the BCS championship? They make no mention of Texas, whos only loss is to #1 OSU, the same as would happen to Michigan if they were to lose.

8. LonghornRob

Here's a great question for you to ponder: Why do the computer rankings in the BCS have California ranked 3rd overall? That's just ludicrous (speed).

9. AeroJonesy

I don't know why people say that. If Michigan is #2 and loses to OSU, they aren't going to stay #2. They'll drop at least to 6 and possibly lower. Although the rankings won't prevent them from going to a BCS bowl.

I don't understand the BCS computer rankings. I mean, I understand the fact that pollsters give some schools automatically higher ratings (like Notre Dame) and the fact that if you are #1 and keep winning, no one is going to pass you, but the computer rankings always create some funky results.

10. Croup

Croup IncGamers Member

I'm more than a little upset about West Virginia and Louisville being so high in the rankings, both computer and Top 25s. I understand that they're undefeated, but can anyone seriously make the argument that they shouldn't be?

The toughest team West Virginia played is Maryland.

The toughest team Louisville played is a floundering Miami team, plus their next toughest was Syracuse.

Compare that to any of the SEC teams who have FIVE teams in the Top 15 and all play each other. Or to a Big Ten team that has the Top Two teams in the country plus Wisconsin in the Top 25. Or, begrudgingly, Texas whose only lost was to the number One team and with road wins at Nebraska and Oklahoma.

There is absolutely no way that those two (three if you want to count Rutgers) are better than any of the teams I just mentioned.

11. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

Except, you know, they're undefeated. That still counts in the human polls, even if you're playing St. Mary's School for Narcoleptics If you actually look at the BCS numbers, OSU and Michigan are way ahead of everyone else. One loss teams like Auburn and Florida are right with the Big East undefeateds. As soon as Louisville or WVU lose, all Big East teams take a hit.

Winner of OSU-Michigan vs. winner of the SEC championship for the national title.

12. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

Too bad BSU doesn't have a tougher season. But I can't complain, #14 isn't bad at all for a WAC team. :thumbsup:

13. skihard

skihard Banned

Last I heard the sports newies were saying that the loser of the OSU-Michigan game will be going to Pasadena and playing in the Rose Bowl and the most likely opponent will be ND if Ohio State is the loser because they want that match up. They also wouldn't be disappointed with a second UM/ND match up in the same year. However with USC losing and probably not going to the BCS game it will most likely be USC vs Ohio State/Michigan

14. Talga Vasternich

Talga Vasternich IncGamers Member

If the scenario you paint happens and THE Ohio State loses the matchup with Michigan and Wisconsin goes the rest of the season without losing, then Wisconsin would go to the Rose Bowl due to Big Ten tiebreakers.
    They both would have one loss in Conference play and one loss overall (and both to Michigan) and Ohio St. went to the Rose Bowl more recently than Wisconsin.
    To think....one loss could put Ohio St. down to third in the big ten (and possibly out of any of the BCS bowls).

15. LonghornRob

Michigan wouldn't drop below Texas in the BCS polls b/c they still beat then #2 Notre Dame. The computer polls absolutely hate us. I'm ok with it though, because Colt McCoy is already a badass, and we have him for at least two more years.

Also, I'd be very afraid of playing West Virginia. White and Slaton are incredibly fast and agile, against ANY team. Louisville isn't anything spectacular, though. I do know that I can't wait until Thursday to watch these two teams play.

16. skihard

skihard Banned

You are wrong, Ohio State last went in 1997, Wisconsin last went in 2000, Michigan went in 2005 but Michigan beat Wisconsin so it will be either Ohio State or Michigan. They are the only ones that can go IF both are undefeated going into November 18th

You did however make me question my knowledge on the Rose Bowl

17. Talga Vasternich

Talga Vasternich IncGamers Member

I forgot that the Ohio State team that was Big Ten Champion (2002) was in the BCS National Title game instead of the Rose Bowl.
    Thanks for the correction.

18. Gertlex

Gertlex Banned

Your post made me question my (absolutely minimal) knowledge too. Around here we're referring to this season as the best Season for UM since 97... Catch being that the Rose Bowl we won was of course 98. D'oh.

Go Blue! :thumbsup: (I really have my doubts that we'll be Ohio though)

19. LonghornRob

HOW ABOUT THOSE SCARLET KNIGHTS?!

Rutgers just beat #3 and 8-0 Louisville to run their own record up to 9-0. That's the first time they've ever beaten a ranked team at home in November, let alone an undefeated one. What a gigantic step up for that program and for the Big East, who really needed a third team to step up the competition.

Oh yeah, and you know, this does bring Texas a step closer to the National Championship game. Still a long shot, sure, but just sayin'...

20. SuggestiveName

Florida.

That is all.