Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

College football ruined?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by gismo, Feb 6, 2004.

1. gismo

gismo IncGamers Member

College football ruined?

First off I gotta say how about that Duke vs. North Carolina game. I'm not a fan of either team but I was pulling for the Tar Heels.

Is college football going to be ruined just like basketball with the new ruling? Now colleges will be losing all the good or potentially good players as freshman instead of juniors. This could degrade the product greatly IMO. I really hope the NFL wins their appeals.

2. cougar

cougar IncGamers Member

i don't think so... football is just a WAY more physical game then basketball. Kid's coming out of high school have no idea how much faster the game is or how much more physical. I think the first few who try it will just get annihilated, or sit on the bench until they get physically strong enough.. kids will see that and prolly figure college is the way to go. But i suppose, league minimum is in still in the hundred thousands, but what NFL team with strict salary caps is going to want to pay a player just to sit there on the bench until he's able to play... and they still dont know how well he's going to do.

3. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

All it will take is a couple failed early leavers to keep things right.

4. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

NCAA regulations are freaky, some kid is gonna get hosed each year and atleast this will give them something to fall back on

5. Ifrit18

Ifrit18 Banned

Just because some freshman had outstanding numbers in college doesn't mean they will get drafted right away. NFL teams go for the players that were consist in college and ones that played 2 more years are likely to get drafted first.

6. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

what about McGahee?
    *BURN*

7. Munch

Munch IncGamers Member

That's one example out of what, 100,000 cases? And McGahee's sat out a year, so he's effectively a sophomore.

Again, one example doesn't set a trend. NFL rosters just don't have the space or the resources to mature young athletes the way college football does. There's too much physically riding on each play to risk an injury to give them real game experience like in basketball.

8. Underseer

Underseer IncGamers Member

What exactly is changed by any of this?

Most jocks receive a completely fake education. They get passing grades for being important to the football team, not for actually learning anything.

What exactly is changed if this nation goes from having dumb jocks who know nothing and have college degrees to dumb jocks who know nothing and don't have college degrees? I completely fail to see what the difference is.

9. Munch

Munch IncGamers Member

Putting relatively physically immature athletes on professional NFL playing fields?

10. toader

toader Banned

I think if anything your looking at this wrong.

The question isnt whether NCAA will get worse, its will the NFL get worse. I think college basketball is better than ever now. There is still a good amount of talent in the league and its fun to actually watch some defense. All the trouble seems to go to the NBA now (what do you expect when you give 18 year olds alot of money and freedom).

Im worried that the NFL will turn out the same way, but I dont think it will because of the hardarse coaches there, they dont put up with much crap like the NBA.

11. Crispyknight

Crispyknight IncGamers Member

That might actually make such a moronic sport worth watching. Kinda like watching NASCAR for the wrecks.....

12. toader

toader Banned

Which begs the question.. Should we have NCAA NASCAR? Seriously, how cooll woud that be?! The engineering department could design their cars. There are already little competitions like this in college, formula teams, etc.. But talking about full fledged NASCAR sponsered by the NCAA. Then pit crews could have a draft and everything...how cool would that be.

13. Crispyknight

Crispyknight IncGamers Member

Heh. Nice. Screw highschool battlebots, lets build race cars!

14. MagiusTheGrey

MagiusTheGrey IncGamers Member

McGahee (sp) only had a good year because the two people in front of him got hurt. Thats how it happens sometimes, but McGahee wasnt a freshman, he was a junior IIRC. BTW, for the record, i dont agree with the Bills taking him in the first round having a perfectly good back in Travis Henry. Maybe they trade him off, but i doubt it. I see them alternating time in the next couple of years thereby wasting what could have been two very good pro careers.

As far as Maurice Clarett goes, good luck, he couldnt even make it through a college season intact. Someone stupid is gonna take a chance on him in the 2nd or 3rd round, and then theyre gonna realize how immature a blocker he is and how much slower he is than most NFL backs, yet not big enough or strong enough to be a bruiser like some of the bigger backs. There are rules about age in place for safety, and i for one would love to see him get smacked around a lot to prove the NFL's point. Id like to see him not even get drafted, but then again, id like to see Michael Vick get permanently crippled for being hailed as the greatest gift to football ever.

15. thejdawg2

thejdawg2 IncGamers Member

Were I an NFL owner, I would not want a kid straight out of high school on my team. Period.

16. Damascus

Damascus IncGamers Member

Oh but he will make that team a lot of money

17. Munch

Munch IncGamers Member

How? People don't show up to watch someone sit on the bench. Even Vick sat out most of his first season, and he entered the draft after his sophomore year.

18. JohnofTesh

JohnofTesh IncGamers Member

I would draw a comparison to basketball to look at what is going to occur. When was the last time you watched 2 senior laden teams square off in college basketball? Yes college basketball is competitive, but it is competitive on a lower level than it would otherwise be. Look at who would be juniors or seniors this year who are instead playing in the NBA. I would also add that my opinion is that bringing all these immature players into the league has diminished the NBA. I believe that there has been a decline in almost all the significant stats that is directly attributable to the infusion of poorly skilled players who had "potential". Obviously not as many people are going ti jump to the pros, but the best of the best are, so that means that for the big game, your star player is going to be a sophmore or a junior, and not a senior. Face it kids, we have seen the golden age of sports and it is behind us.

19. Damascus

Damascus IncGamers Member

Did Vick need a court case?

20. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

JoT, I think the NBA takes more raw talent and less teamwork and physical training than football does. And for that reason, I think a lot of college players will stay in the NCAA for at least two playing seasons (and maybe three) in order to build up enough strength that they will be chosen in a higher round in the draft. My guess is at first we'll see some early leavers, hoping to use their few NFL experiences in their early years as a substitute for college ball, but they'll get too beat up to improve the way they should have in NCAA.