Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

College Football Fun!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Ev_, Sep 17, 2006.

1. Ev_

Ev_ IncGamers Member

College Football Fun!

Week three is done. Rant, gloat, mourn, whatever you feel.

I personally had a fantastic day. Spent about 12 hours on the couch watching and doing homework. My Trojans won, and Miami, Notre Dame, and Oklahoma all lost. The Pac-10 went 7-1 against non-conference opponents, including offing two top-25 teams.

Despite how happy it makes me that (independent of each other) A) Oklahoma lost and B) Oregon won, I will be the first to admit that Oregon should not have received that onside kick. I am in fact still in disbelief that even after the review, they were still given the recovery. It was quite obvious that the Oregon player touched it before 10 yards, and it wasn't even incidental...he was trying to grab it. If they're going to give it to them, though, I'll take it. It doesn't diminish anything about how fantastically they finished the game. That block was incredible.

For USC's sake, I wish Notre Dame had won, though I love that they got absolutely destroyed, and Quinn played like crap. I laughed to tears when he lost that fumble.

Florida/Tennessee was as excellent as we were all hoping. I have no particular love or hate for either team, so it was just a good game to watch (during the ads of the USC game, of course).

The Bowden Bowl was good as well. I was wondering if the crapfest of the Miami/Florida State game was any indication of both teams this year, and apparently it was. Weatherford sucks.

Iowa/Iowa State was another great game with no real significance to me. A lot of good football going on in that one. I wish Iowa State had pulled the upset, though; they were looking great in the first half.

Boston College needs to stop going into overtime. It's getting a little ridiculous, and probably bad for the hearts of their fans.

Is anyone else getting a little tired of the overzealous play reviewing going on? There were a large number of calls today that I thought were quite obvious to everyone, but the attitude now seems to be "oh hey we can review plays now, so let's do every other play." They changed the clock rules to try to speed up games, but they last just as long now because there is about 20 minutes of reviews added to every game. Yah it's great that we can confirm things, and I'm all for instant replay, but things are a little overkill right now.

2. SuggestiveName

SuggestiveName IncGamers Member

My Gators won, so I am happy.

3. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

it was no fun... no fun at all

4. Athelstan

Athelstan IncGamers Member

The Ole Miss Rebs are now 1-2. It's looking like another glorious football season here in Oxford...

5. LonghornRob

LonghornRob IncGamers Member

Texas won, hooray! Well ok, so that was expected. I didn't get to watch as much football as I would've liked b/c I had to take a lady out for dinner and a movie, but what I did watch was fun. Namely, OU losing in horrific fashion and ND getting destroyed. The Auburn/LSU game was freaking boring, but that's what I had expected. What I didn't expect, though, was a 12-3 final in the TCU/Texas Tech match. That game had "High Scoring" written all over it pre-game, especially considering TTU hung 70 on them last year in one of the funnest games I'd ever seen.

6. llad12

llad12 IncGamers Member

Oregon didn't win that game .. the refs did.

The call was a flat rip-off. It was obvious to you ... to me ... to the sportscasters ... and just about everyone else who cares to look. It was reviewed by the referees in slo motion and there was no doubt that the ball was illegally touched and should have been awarded to the Sooners.

Hell ... it only gets worse. Look at this review of the tapes. Not only did the Oregon illegally touch the ball, but the Sooners actually recovered the onside kick!

With only 50 seconds left and one timeout, the Ducks could not have stopped the clock. The Sooners would have taken a knee twice and the game was over.

Partisan pathetic call ... piss on your Pac 10 referees. They should be suspended or fired.

7. PatMaGroin

PatMaGroin IncGamers Member

How did Ev not mention the Tigers/Tigers game? That one was great.

Wow, that OU call was piss poor. I don't even know what to say to that. Should've been OU's ball twice, and game over. And I'm as far from a Sooner fan as you can get.

8. skihard

skihard Banned

I thought Michigan played very well and their win was more because of the way they played than because of the Irish playing bad as the "sports heads" are making it out to be. Chad Henne is finally showing a very calm, commanding presence heading the offense and the defense is surprisingly good so far this season. There were no real mistakes made and of the 2 pass interference calls both were questionable so all in all a very strong showing by the UM team on both sides of the ball.

Looking at the Wolverines schedule the rest of the year they “should†go into the Ohio State game undefeated which brings up a question.

If Ohio State remains undefeated, as it should, they will still be ranked #1 going into the Ohio/Michigan game. If Michigan stays undefeated, as it should, they should be ranked no lower than 4th with a high of 2nd possible.

Hypothetically speaking if these 2 teams meet on November 18th ranked #1 & #2, for the last game of their schedule what happens to the loser. I know that the winner will be ranked #1 and go to the BCS game but what of the other. Do they drop a long ways down the rankings list if they lose to either the # 1or #2 team, do they match up again in the BCS game, is it just the BCS game 6 weeks early, or is it just another game and the winner goes to the Phoenix and the loser to Pasadena.

I know the last thing the BCS would want is 2 teams from the same conference but that is something that is possible just hasn’t yet happened. I don’t think if a #2 loses to a #1 that they should fall far because well the #2 is suppose to lose, but I also don’t think a #1 should drop beyond #4 if they lose to a #2. Anyhow what do you all think.

9. PatMaGroin

Well, Texas dropped to 8 after losing to OSU. If Michigan is #2 going into to the OSU game, and either one loses, they will most likely drop out of the top 2, but it all depends on the other teams. If USC goes on to lose to Arizona or some team like that, Texas loses again, and the SEC and WV fall apart, then you might see a rematch in the championship game. BUt more than likely, that wont happen.

10. skihard

skihard Banned

I’m not holding my breath for them to match up twice in one year because the college football gods would not be that kind to me. It would however be one of the most glorious years ever if Michigan were ranked #2 or #3 and go down to the horseshoe and beat Ohio State taking over the #1 stop or at least #2 and going to the BCS game. That is all I ask, to ask for a double match up in one year would be asking too much.

11. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Ski, it won't happen. The OSU/Michigan game is always the last game of the season for both teams. So no one will have any chance to move up in the standings before the bowl games. Although if they are #1/#2 going into that game, the losing team will get an at-large bid. You'd have to be stupid to pass on them for one of the at-large bids for the BCS games. Very very very stupid. Both schools have ginormous fan bases across the country.

And Llad, as much as I was glad to see Oregon win, the refs really did blow that one. First, I didn't know they could review a pass interference penalty. And second, how was that inconclusive evidence the ball wasn't tipped. The ball is spiraling, goes into a hand, and then isn't spiraling. Was there magic involved?

Now to my Buckeyes. They look as hot as ever with a solid run defense. And we have some decent corners to cover on the pass. Our offense is what really impresses me. The pundits continue to talk about Smith being this amazing dual-threat quarterback. He almost never runs, but god can he throw. I'm really excited for the upcoming conference schedule. I'm also excited that I have tickets to 5 of the games, including Michigan. I know it's a shocker, but I'm debating selling my Michigan ticket. If both teams are in the top 5 when that game rolls around, my ticket could fetch as much as $400.

12. skihard

skihard Banned

I have 2 tickets for the gmae they will be raising Steve Yzerman's Jersey and the lowest I've seen the tickets is now $435 each. If it wasn't for the fact it's something I'll remember the rest of my life I'd sell them and go to 15 other games for free almost.

Yes I know that it will most likely never happen, still it would be amazing to see them play twice in one year.

By default if both teams are undefeated going into that game one of the teams will go to the Rose Bowl and one will go the BCS game. I should also add that the only time I'm not rooting for Ohio State is in the Michigan game.

13. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

Man, Oklahoma got ripped off something fierce. Let the pissing and moaning continue from this day forth.

Go Ducks!

14. Moosashi

Moosashi IncGamers Member

Llad, that was a crap call, obviously. Sooners should've won. But do you have to get political about everything?

15. Croup

Croup IncGamers Member

Geez Ev, thanks for leaving out the SEC game of the week, dammit.

It's just a shame that LSU and Auburn, the two best teams (screw Florida) in the SEC had to play each other so early in the year. Both have legitimate BCS bowl shots.

16. llad12

llad12 IncGamers Member

Actually I had a lot more to say ... but I refrained for the children's sake.

:azn:

-------------

Edit:

*** Breaking News ***

The Pac 10 officially responds to last night's game:

:wink3:

17. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla IncGamers Member

Baylor gives yet another game away. :rolleyes:
    Gators won, and Mean Green lost. Baby Bowden beat papa, and the whine flows in Norman.

Blaming games on officials is lame. Although it was a horrible call, OU should have stepped up when it counted. They had plenty of blown oppurtunities.

18. PatMaGroin

Did everyone see the Real Army vs the fake army? Army almost pulled it out.

19. llad12

llad12 IncGamers Member

Typical response from a fan of the cellar-dwelling Baylor Bears ... :wink3:

20. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla IncGamers Member

True, but Baylor is actually a legitimate team this season. 6-6/7-5 is what they'll go this season.