Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

College athletes being paid?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by theshadowman, Oct 30, 2006.

1. theshadowman

theshadowman IncGamers Member

College athletes being paid?

the question is

Should D1 athletes be paid a monthly salary

discuss, yes or no and explaination

ready GO

2. ModeratelyConfused

ModeratelyConfused Banned

No. They should get a free ride through school, at the most.

3. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

No. It violates the spirit of the sport. Plus if you do that, EVERY athlete will want to be paid. Imaging paying $100,000 a year to go to Podunk Community College because their competitive belching team wants to get paid. No thanks

4. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

They should get less than the academic scholarships at schools. It is terrifying that athletic scholarships can be greater than academic scholarships. It isn't the primary function of the school. . .so why put so much focus on it?

I know they work really hard to get the scholarship and keep it, my sister's boyfriend is in practice nearly everyday during the season and in the gym for the rest of the year, but there are people who put more time than that into studying and don't get jack.

5. bg1256

bg1256 IncGamers Member

Most D1 athletes get a full ride (at least for the major sports). For instance, a basketball team most likely gives 9-10 full rides, with 2-3 walk-ons who receive lesser scholarships.

There's no way they should get paid over and above that. Althoug they aren't technically getting paid, they don't have to pay for their tuition...

6. PlagueBearer

PlagueBearer IncGamers Member

Our society has evolved signifigantly faster than we have, is the problem. While the ability to throw is rarely a matter of life or death anymore, it was for millions of years as our species evolved.

The need for "throw" has dimminished over the past 4000 some years, but that's not enough time to purge the association from our minds. Because the need for throw went away faster than evolution can keep pace, our instincts lag, and still put an inordinate importance on throwing well.

7. Yaboosh

Yaboosh IncGamers Member

What? Why on earth should a bunch of top tier athletes who make MILLIONS AND MILLIONS AND MILLIONS OF DOLLARS for their university get paid more than a 40k scholarship? They hardly deserve it. ESPN and the Athletics departments are the deserving ones. I mean, a USC scholarship is worth billions, haven't you heard? They are getting spoiled.

8. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Lies, throwing isn't an instinct, it is a learned skill and more importantly throwing to kill something for food is even more learned.

Besides, no one throws more than jugglers and we aren't getting thousands of dollars to go to a school.

9. Yaboosh

Yaboosh IncGamers Member

Why should jugglers be paid when they don't make any money for the university?

These kids playing in the NCAA tourney, or the tons of Bowl games are making tons of money for their university and for ESPN, as well as the multitude of sponsors. They are getting totally shafted.

10. theshadowman

if they dont like it, leave, college is for learning not playing sports, if they are there for sports then they probably shouldnt be there

11. PlagueBearer

Wrong, throwing is an instinct, throwing as is throwing as a response to a threat. Infants learn to throw on their own without it being taught to them; moreover, it's a critical part of their development of a sense of space and self. "Throw" is hardwired. Infants will tend to try to throw things when they are frightened or angry, indicated it is to be used in situations of stress, ie, as a defensive measure.

Wonder why? Throwing a baseball or a football is much closer to the type of throwing that could result in a kill, and thus importance is placed upon it.

12. oscarmk1

oscarmk1 IncGamers Member

I would say yes. I mean it's an extra motivation for sure.

13. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

I wasn't debating the whole "they make money for the school" debate, I was saying throwing has nothing to do with this at all.

If they are getting shafted it is because they signed a contract allowing that to happen. Is it fair? No. Just like it isn't fair the academic kids who bring up the standings of the school and get good jobs and then donate back don't get as much money as the athletes.

EDIT: It is not an instinct, the instinct to learn how to control your body and learn the world around you. If you raised a group of babies to around 10, you gave them food and such, but never showed them how to hunt. Then you told them they had to get their own food from a bunch of rabbits you had released in the yard they wouldn't throw rocks at it, they would chase them. Survival is not instinctual for humans or other high level predators. Cheetahs and Lions have to be taught to hunt and kill just as humans have to be taught to throw a spear(which is nothing like throwing a basketball. . .and only slightly similar to throwing a football).

In other parts of the world Soccer bring in the millions, tell me where does kicking a ball fit into survival? Or Golf? Golf has never saved anyone outside of The Cone Heads.

14. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

In under 10 posts this will turn into a religion vs evolution flamefest. I'll bet anybody 1 brazillion Canadian dollars - or $0.82 whichever is greater. :laugh:

15. theshadowman

ill bet against that

16. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

Only if we spam it up

17. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Smeg you do realize you made that bet on post 14 right?

18. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

I think D2 athletes should be paid a monthly salary, God knows I've put more time into it than I would into any job I'm ever likely to have.

19. PatMaGroin

PatMaGroin IncGamers Member

I think they should get a stipend. I wouldn't call it a 'salary' and I also wouldn't say that it be much money at all. But most D1 athletes aren't allowed to have jobs (unless you go to OU, then you work at a car dealership), and some families can't afford to ship spending money their kid's way. So if they want to go to the movies on Sunday night or something, they've got to rely on under-the-table envelope slips from the boosters.

20. PlagueBearer

I think he meant "10 posts from now"

Though really that should have been quite obvious.