Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Cold VS Fire

Discussion in 'Classic' started by Locke07, May 18, 2005.

1. Locke07

Locke07 IncGamers Member

Cold VS Fire

I am planning my next classic ladder character for new ladder and have decided on making an MF sorc. Most of the time on X-pac my first character would have been a blizzard sorc, she killed mephisto fast east and efficiant and could do Andy if need be. Though I was told by some on classic that most people make a fire sorc to do Andy and in some cases mephisto. I see some pro's fire ball is a nice early lvl attack. There are some good uniqs to start out with like the salamander. Though every one emphasizes Andy with a fire sorc. True she is weak against fire but I am concerned that the fact there are fire immunes (shamans and the little things) that she won't be able to do andy nor will she be as fast at killing mephisto as a cold sorc would be. What are your takes on this. Give me some pro's and con's for each build and decide what do you think would be better for the next ladder and why. Keep in mind that the end game gear will be around 200-400 mf.

Any help would be great!
    With Humble Regards,
    Locke
    *jedi_101

2. -Tempus-

-Tempus- IncGamers Member

why not go with a 2 tree build, many of my d2c chars went that way.

something else to think about is a high lev static sorc (for the range) then you use a lower dmg cold/fire attack to finsh off what you want to kill.

-Tempus-

3. Murrogh

Murrogh IncGamers Member

It depends on how good you are at dodging mosters. I guess you possibly could do a sorc w/ dual skill trees though I wouldn't reccomend it. The way I see it wouldn't you accually have a sorc that is stronger vs. andarials w/ one skill tree? the bunus of fire is about 125%(factoring her -50fire and 75cold) I would rather have a more focused char. Like an orb sorc with a point into static field.

4. Locke07

Locke07 IncGamers Member

I have a static/Orb sorc right now and while she seams okay, she does not do well angainst mephisto and somtimes has a hard time with andy. Here gear is pretty good so it's not a question of gear. My interenet has a slow speed so my tele isn't worth using to dodge attacks (walking is faster on my net). I planned on making a blizzard and use the moat trick against mephisto, but I was told that fire sorc's are better on classic is there any truth to this claim?

5. Immortality

Immortality Banned

Orb sorcs are better when ur mfing on lower lvls. Ive maxed my killing skill on my orb sorc, but its very difficult to kill monsters when a server is full esp cs runs.

Fire sorcs can kill stuff easily but due to the massive amounts of fire immunes its very difficult.

6. WNxZerker

WNxZerker IncGamers Member

my recomendation would have to be a dual skill sorc.
    sorry but if you want to kill immunes and dont want to mele/enchant then you are going to have to pick 2 skills that either dont need synergies or have only one synergie. now lets take a looka t what killing skill pairs that leaves us with.

orb only has one synergie and IMHO it dosent need it for pvm it will kill everything in nm with ease and when you hit hell you just have to be more carefull and cast more to make it kill, but it dose the trick eventually and a high static can help.

then you have lightning with its high synergies it gets way up there in killing power but you need to pump mastery and at least 10 in one synergie to make it work well in hell, that means this skill will cost you around 50 skill points.

now chainlightning costs around the same but increases youre killing power due to it atacking multiple monsters, I like this skill alot and it is effective at killing those cold/fire immunes as long as they have low light res. so that makes it best paired with a cold skill.

Thunder storm dosent count as a killing skill as you cant focus it on a monster when you get in a tight spot, its an asist skil that helps finish of monsters I dont recomend it.

Nova doestnt really have the kiling power but teamed with static it could finish off those cold/fire immunes.

Fireball. I am making a orb/FB sorc at the moment and she dosent do to badly in act2 hell with lvl 20 FB lvl 10 FM and I am now increasing firebolt cause it is a beter increase than points in FM, I like this skill as at the higher lvls it will take only a few casts to kill cold/light immunes and does splash damage to the next monster so that it will take lest casts when it comes time to kill him. I would prefer a larger splash radius as it only realy hits 2-3 monsters at a time thats why i like Chain Lightning more as a secondary atack.

firewall has some great damage and no synergies its a 40 skill point cost skill and great value for money if you dont mind the cast delay and can target it well. I dont personaly like this skill as I change chars to often to get use to the targeting, I prefer non cast delay skills paired with a short delay high area skill.

meteor has alota damage it could well be the biggest damage skill for the sorc, it has 3 synergies one for avrage firedamage per second and two for impact damage, you dont have to max out the synergies and could do verry well with this skill, it has the downside of being a little skill point hungry and a cast delay abit longer than orb, if you pair it with orb then youre orb will delay when your meteor is cast, and you will have a wait after the delay before the spell acctually does any damage, it can be really hard to use against fast monsters and their minions, against them frezze them and cast meteor ontop of you while you stand next to them casting your freezing spell to keep them in one spot.

hydra has 2 small synergies and works like a trap, you cast it and then it continues to shoot small firebolts at your enemies, it can be good to cast it and then shoot fireballs at the enemy as it runs at you (fireball is one of hydras synergies) if you cast a few hydra it gets more interesting they will all atack and you can attack as well making for a good amount of damage.

the only cold skill left is blizzard its a high skill point cost skill and the damage is sporadic, you can get 2 going at once but its is hard to gaurante a hit with this, you can have monsters run through it and not get hit, though it dose do an incredible amount of damage and when fully synergised it can kill in one hit so when it hits it kills. I am really talking it down but there are those out there that swear by itas i do orb.

so to give some options i would say
    orb/fb orb/CL orb/firewall firewall/CL these have not been tested and vouched for by me they are just theroretical posibilites so try at your own risk. but at least think about them before you go investing skill points.

Zerker

7. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator & Inc Clan Officer

Sorry, Zereker, but I had to format your post a little bit. It was very hard on my eyes. I am old, so maybe that's why, But I think more people will read through it if it is formatted. :D

8. WNxZerker

thats kewl Dacar92 I didnt mean to rant on so long and I was tired so I didnt check it to see how long it actually was so yeah thanks for the formating.

Zerker

9. Locke07

Locke07 IncGamers Member

Thanks for all the advise, but I'm not interested in making a 2 skill tree sorc. I pretty much have picked a fire sor (she is at lvl 25). I planned on making this to just hit mephisto and Andy so I wasn't to woried about immunes. Though thanks again and if you have any insight on which is better blizz or meteor sorc go ahead.

With Humble Regards
    Locke

10. WNxZerker

if you are just standing there spamming these timered spells then the only real difference is that blizz starts damaging staight away and meteor has a delay. in killing power they are about the same even if the damge is different. wichever oneyou end up using make sure you use one of the non timerd synergie skills as a secondary attack while the timer counts down, it can also help keep the boss in the area of damage.

use moat trick on meph and try to cast around the corner with andy, unless you can stand up to her attacks.

Zerker

11. sardoniclysane

sardoniclysane Banned

I'd go with a Maxed Blizz sorc.

Using a setup with only plus 3 to all skills, I can solo meph/duriel/andy in way under 3 minutes (including time to id items and the such) manually.

For some reason, it takes a bit longer when it's botting. I assume thats because it has to path, and anyways longer is better to avoid r/d.

12. Great_Evils

Great_Evils IncGamers Member

sardoniclysane, it would be best if you didn't mention bots in this forum, or any forum here.