Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Cold Mastery

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Zavior, Mar 17, 2004.

1. Zavior

Zavior IncGamers Member

Cold Mastery

Whats best cold mastery skill level for mephisto?

2. Shade

Shade IncGamers Member

Meph has 75% Cold Resist, so level 32 CM should wipe his resists out completely (to -100, the lowest possible).

So anything up to that is good.

3. farting bob

farting bob Banned

well, as hgih as you can i suppose. as shade said, ti takes unreasonablly high lvls to totally clear his resist, but this can be acheived with very good gear i suppose. anythig that gives him - res is going to be nice.

4. ricrestoni

ricrestoni IncGamers Member

I guess som cold facets will help a lot to save some points in CM.

hijack

where can I get all monsters' resistances? That would be nice for some planning.

/hijack

5. Boddah_khan

Boddah_khan IncGamers Member

Try d2data.net for the resistances and stats on most monsters. Cheers!

6. pharaoh

pharaoh IncGamers Member

To my knowledge, CM doesn't work quite like that. When the patch became live, I saw on Arreat Summit that it lowers by a percent of the existing resist, unlike Lower Resist/Conviction which are straight subtraction.

For example, level 17 CM (-100%) will reduce resist to 0 (100% of whatever they have), provided they are not immune (where CM has no effect whatsoever). When you have level 18+ CM, it lowers by more than 100% of the target's resist. Say I've got level 27 CM (-150%) and I cast a cold spell at a target with 90 resist; it will drop to -45 (90 - 150% of 90 = -45). If I fire the same spell at a target with no resist whatsoever, it won't do anything.

I regard this as bugged, if it still works this way- as you can see, it would be best to have no resist whatsoever, and just use some absorb, when facing an opponent with CM at 18+, but best to have resists as high as possible if their CM was less than 18.

I'm not sure if they've since changed this, or how CM would work in conjunction with negative resists (resists remain unchanged vs. resists become positive). Given Bliz's track record for fixing things, though, and given I did see this in reference to v1.10, it's likely it still works the same. It would explain why cold sorcies can be so devastating in duels against targets without significant absorb.

7. Shade

Shade IncGamers Member

In 1.10 all -resist is a straight reduction.

Furthermore (as a side point) Conviction, Lower Resist, Decrepify and Amplify Damage can all (potentially) remove immunities from monsters too.

8. Zarhrezz

Zarhrezz IncGamers Member

The Arreat Summit monster section has all info you need, another useful site is this one.

9. pharaoh

pharaoh IncGamers Member

I know the latter, but I do recall reading on Arreat Summit that CM worked differently. Then again, it wouldn't be the first time we got less than accurate information from Bliz. :rant: