Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Cold Mastery

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Bitter_NaS, Feb 16, 2004.

1. Bitter_NaS

Bitter_NaS IncGamers Member

Cold Mastery

Hey, sorry if this has been asked before, but i did a quick search of the past 6 pages of posts and never found anything on it so, here i go.

Does cold mastery in version 1.10 take cold resistance into the negatives?

Reason i ask is because i have maxed FO/FW/FM and i now have everything i was aiming to get. I am trying to boost my cold damage for Hell, since my FW has no synergy skills. With the few + skills i have, i got cold mastery to 35% or so and i am trying to decide if getting the synergy's is better for FO or if getting a higher cold maserty is.

My sorc is looking to finish hell, then MF Meph and the Pits. There is no PvP involved.

2. Compman

Compman IncGamers Member

Yes, but don't go past skill level 17 because it caps there.

3. Kyo

Kyo IncGamers Member

This question has been asked many times before and there always someone giving this answer that up to slvl 17 is the most you should reach, anymore is a waste?

Now i am not 100% certain but if memory serves me correctly it was strongly suggested that for a pure Cold sorceress or for cold spells one should MAX Cold mastery for maximum affect. Now please note this is dependant obivously of how much SP you have to play with or your boosting with plus skills.

If I am wrong can someone please correct me because i have basically said this in the last x number of postings and no one has so far said it wrong so i presume it should be correct. :bow:

4. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

If you are going COLD only you are advised to max Cold Mastery since you can than also tackle those highly cold resitant monsters faster and easier :D
    Quite correct Kyo!

5. Bitter_NaS

Bitter_NaS IncGamers Member

thanks for the quick responses, and the patience for answering it again

6. Stiertje

Stiertje IncGamers Member

For a single-tree sorc, max Cold Mastery. You're not going to put the points into Meteor or something, so it's best used to further upgrade your cold skills.

For a dual-tree sorc it's something different. A dual-tree sorc HAS to be stingy about her skill points. Slvl 17 Cold Mastery is just the number at which the benefits of a higher CM degrades rapidly. At a level higher then 17 only 30% will be afected more, and even less per level.

All directly from the Meteorb guide, Quote below.

Thanks to sasja.

7. Compman

Compman IncGamers Member

EDIT: nevermind

8. Tlaxcotl

Tlaxcotl IncGamers Member

I've got one last question concerning Cold Mastery; At what point does pierce enemy cold resistance become a total waste? Somewhere near 200% maybe? Plz have the patience to answer this last question plz.

And I appoligize for posting a same thread like this after this one! ^ ^

9. mrwallin

mrwallin IncGamers Member

First off, a good and polite question is never bad :uhhuh:

Now for the facts:
    You can lower the res of monsters to a negative number and yes they will take more DMG from it.
    You cant lower it to more than -100%
    lvl 17 CM is -100%

SO:
    For monsters with 0 res more than lvl 17 is the best
    For immune monsters lvl 0 is the best :lol: (unless you can get something to break their immunity, but I'm not sure about how that works)
    For all other monsters there would be a use of lvl 17+ but, referring to sasja, only 30% of the monsters in Hell are in this category.
    If you are a pure FO or Blizzard Mephrunner... Then you want lvl 32 CM (-175%) to get him as low as possible...

Conclusion:
    Dual tree - lvl 17 with +skills is enough (you need the points elsewhere)
    Pure cold - maxed (it will help you and you have the points)
    Mephrunner - lvl 32 with +skills (killingspeed is your best friend :lol: )

Hope I've helped
    MrWallin

and a apology to you that have given answers in this thread already, IMHO it needed to be a bit more clear and doing the math usually does the trick, so cheers :drink:

10. we3dling

we3dling IncGamers Member

Mkay, ... but cap and negativ resistance??

I still dont get it!
    I thought alot about this too... Why do I read Blizzard BO where the narrator says *MAX CM* if the lowered res is capped at 100% ... Yes some monsters are cold resistent on hell, but if it's capped, which means monster's resistance cant go into negative levels... Like mephisto has 75% CR and my lvl 17 CM lowers 100% ... Then his resistance would be 0% and not -25% right?

If not, I screwed up my blizz sorc... I went max all blizz synergies and then i started pumping frozen orb for it's synergy bonus to glacial spike.... I have a lvl 10 CM and with skills and mf lvl 17...

Im really confused about this...

Maybe sasja could explain this, his words usually makes sense^^

----
    gOt bLunT¿
    ----

11. we3dling

Ohh mayn!

Ohh... U must have written this while I was writing my reply... U have answered all my questions...

It kind of annoys me though... cuz I just realized I screwd up my blizzsorc for meph... Im going for clvl 90 and that's means lvl 12 CM... ohh man.. that really hurts... I wanted the perfect meph killer... :( Guess 5 coldskillers would help me out alot... What lvl is 175% lowered cold resistance... That must be the most optimal thing for meph, right!? But.. U said that already too, didn't u.. lvl 32?... hmm .. then i need +20 to skills .... arf... not possible... only + 18... and then there is no room for 40x7%mfSC's :p

anyways, thx^^

----
    gOt bLunT¿
    ----

12. mrwallin

mrwallin IncGamers Member

Sorry that I spoiled you're build :drink:

"Knowledge is power" :thumbsup:

CyA
    MrWallin

13. we3dling

Arff=)

But then I have a better glacial spike^^

What do u guys use for meph, glacial spike ice blast? I mean ice blast is approx double the damage of glacial, and since glacial does not freeze meph, we should use ice blast right?

MrWallin... I can still make it, if i go lvl 98^^

thx anyways=)

----
    gOt bLunT¿
    ----