Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Cold Mastery vs Cold Immunity?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Are, Sep 22, 2006.

1. Are

Are IncGamers Member

Cold Mastery vs Cold Immunity?

Hi :)

I'm currently playing a MeteOrb Sorceress, and I'm wondering how many points I need to place into Cold Mastery in order for Cold Immune monsters to actually take damage from my cold spells, or if that works vs CI at all?

Otherwise, or in addition, would it be worth placing 1 point each into Nova and Lightning Mastery to help with those CI-FI-PI monsters that hang around in Hell? (I've currently got +7 skills from equipment, so that would give me Nova damage of about 90-170 or so).

2. Delreich

Delreich IncGamers Member

Nope, only conviction and Lower Resist can remove immunities, and only very few in the case of cold.

Not really. Use static and telekinesis (knockback/stun) to help your merc. 200 dmg is nothing.

3. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

No monster is Fire/cold/physical immune. Screw the whole lightning tree when playing a meteorb sorc (tele, maybe...)

4. Corrupted

Corrupted IncGamers Member

Actually, mastery DOES work versus CI's if you're playing v1.07 IIRC:badteeth:

5. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

Cold mastery does nothing against cold immune monster. Only Lower resist and conviction can break immunities (and amplify damage and decrepify for physical immunity), but most of the cold immune monsters have so "hard immunity" that it will not be broken (unlike for example most of the LI monsters)

No monster can have 3 immunities in 1.11. lvl 1 Nova will do pathetic damage in hell and it will not be sufficient to even deal a damage faster that most monsters heal themselves.

6. FrostBurn

FrostBurn IncGamers Member

From this statement I'm guessing that you may not know how much CM is needed for non-CI monsters as well.

For a Meteorb, take CM to slvl 17 (-100% enemy cold resistance) after +skills from gear. As stated, CM does not break CI, but for non-CIs, it will lower their cold resistance by 100% when at slvl 17. This is the optimal level for a Meteorb's CM.

7. trihero

trihero IncGamers Member

It's interesting (not terribly important though) to note that CI will work fully if you can manage to break the immunity somehow. For instance in Nightmare the frozen horrors are cold immune and have 100% cold resistance, if you use a lower resist want you will break their immunity, then if you have like -100% mastery then you'll take it below zero, thereby pwning it with your cold spells.

But like the above poster said, sometimes (usually in hell) it's impossible to break the CI, especially if you don't have a paladin/necro with high levels of LR/conviction to help you.

I was wondering if anyone knows how the triple immunity is checked. Do you know, Hrus? I know that montsers can't have triple immunes, so what exactly happens to the last mod that the monster gets? Is the third immune changed to like 95% resist or what?

8. FrostBurn

FrostBurn IncGamers Member

There was a thread in the stats forum about that not so long ago. I can't find it. IIRC, it works something along those lines.

9. Are

Are IncGamers Member

Okay, thank you all :)

10. Suiling

Suiling Banned

I guess my hubby will be interested in this topic.. he's a 1.07 fanatic..