Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Cold Mastery Question

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by INC, Apr 17, 2005.

1. INC

INC IncGamers Member

Cold Mastery Question

I recall reading that Cold Mastery can only break resistances so far, and after that adding to it does nothing. I am making a max-damage orb Sorceress for a little more efficient (and safer) Meph and Andy running.

I will be wearing a full Tal Rasha's set, plus a cold skiller, so +7 to all cold skills. The orb also has a perfect cold facet socketed in it.

So my question, with that in mind, is how many points to put in cold mastery, so I don't go over and end up wasting points (since I would like as many as I can for the fire tree)?

Thanks in advance.

2. Cattleya

Cattleya IncGamers Member

Monster resists can't go below -100. Hell meph has 75% CR, so you would need a CM level of 32 (with skills) to get him to -100. Hell Andy needs CM level 30 to get to -99 CR.

3. DeathMaster

DeathMaster IncGamers Member

Add on top that CM doesn't do a thing CI monster, you need something to break CI before CM comes in play.

4. farting bob

farting bob Banned

It does not break immunities, although anything below 100 base res will fall by the same amount.
    17 points is a good point to aim for with +skills, since by that time all non-CI monsters are in negative res, and all those with 0 res to ebgin with rweach the maximum -100. Or if you want lvl 27 with +skills which is -150 res, which will send most noraml monsters into -100 or very close.

5. Liliel

Liliel IncGamers Member

What kind of build are you going for?

Generally speaking, I put about 10 points for blizzard suing builds, 5 points for FO. If I ever made a pure blizzard or FO/ES build I'd probably put 15.

6. Dodgydave

Dodgydave IncGamers Member

If you want to make an Andy runner you'd be better using a fire based build than cold since she has a much lower fire resistance IIRC. (Not that it really maters shes a push over either way.)

7. colony

colony IncGamers Member

As Cattleya said, you'll want a lvl 32 CM for the fastest Meph running, and it really is worth maxing CM if you're going to be running Meph a lot. My blizz sorc with maxed CM and a nearly fully synergised blizz can run him in under a minute, and it's the extra points in CM that make the difference, and the difference between a lvl 17 CM and a lvl 32 one is huge vs Meph

If you want to run Andy then any fire sorc should do well, but a synergised FB will kill her incredibly fast, IIRC she has -50 fire res, but that might only be in normal.

8. farting bob

farting bob Banned

She has -50 fire res in all difficulties. Lvl 32 CM is hard to get IMO, since its very rare to find things with extra +CM in addition to +all skills. Of course, the higher the better when boss running or anywhwere in late hell, since most monsters will have a base res of at laast 50.

9. INC

INC IncGamers Member

I also forgot the Tal's orb has +2 to CM, so coupled with that, the orb's +1 all partial set bonus, +2 all from the ammy, +3 all from the complete set, a cold skiller, and the facet, would bring it to an equivalent of 30 to cold mastery, when I max it.

As to my playing style, I dislike blizzard because of the time delay. Rather, I chill Meph with one orb, wait for him to come down the stairs to me (so as not to draw the caster pack near the chest) and static him to half his life. Then I just strafe around him with orbs (no merc involved, as its a waste of money, given his poison damage and strong attack). It's pretty fast to do, with deaths being very far and between, usually resulting from being hit and stunned by one of those soul things and then having shield block and defense fail while being hit by the blue ball of death.

There are also rarely cold immunes in Andy's chamber, while there are allways some fire ones. I've taken two sorcs through hell in 1.10, so I am confident that even with a lopsided build I will be fine, as their are few cold immunes that I actually have to kill.

She's at level 50 now, trying to do some TC3 running, before moving on to Nightmare Andy in pursuit of SOJs and then hell when one drops. I am planning to max Orb and its syenergy Ice Bolt, plus cold mastery. I will get fire ball up as high as I can, plus any syenergys there.

Thanks again to all who replied.