Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Cold damage - shatter corpse

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by JohnnyBravo, Mar 11, 2004.

1. JohnnyBravo

JohnnyBravo IncGamers Member

Cold damage - shatter corpse

I was just wondering if there was a way to determine how much cold damage I need to reliably shatter corpses.

Is it totally random?

Is it a percentage of my total damage?

Or do I just need to have a certain amount?

Any info would be appreciated.

2. Zarhrezz

Zarhrezz IncGamers Member

I believe a chilled monster has 25% chance to shatter, a frozen monster has 100% chance to shatter and I recall something about a Crushing Blow on a chilled or frozen monster will also shatter it. That was all the rage with 1.09 Blade Shield.

3. Andrew

Andrew IncGamers Member

I can't recall esactly, but IIRC, there is a certain amount of cold damage OR maybe cold duration(relative to monster's life) you need to have in order totally freeze a monster. Having totally freezing them, you won't have to worry about the shattering bit at all, as they all shatter. That's why my burritozon is equipped with many cold damage small charms. Imagine strafing out freezing arrows... lol. Everything freezes (in nightmare at least).

4. NSXdreamer

NSXdreamer IncGamers Member

Cold damage and freeze target are two different things though.

5. moi

moi IncGamers Member

As NSXdreamer said, cold and freeze are totally different. No amount of cold time will ever freeze, you need a skill that freezes or an item with freeze target mod on it.

6. Andrew

Andrew IncGamers Member

No, you guys misunderstood me (or i didnt write clearly? haha) Having LOTS of cold damage, WILL FREEZE the monster, hence shattering him. My Amazon straps on loads oif cold damage, and she freezes AND shatters everything up to the later stages in nightmare.

7. farting bob

farting bob Banned

ive never noticed that high cold-dmg can freeze someone, but ive not done mcuh testing.

8. Andrew

Andrew IncGamers Member

I've just double checked, and yes, My amazon does freeze most act 5 nightmare creatures, but only for 1 second, prolly dont have enough cold damage or smthing. After that one second, they will still be blue (and slow) but they can move and attack. In arcane, she freezes everything for more than a second, except the vampire type monsters, which seem to.. uhh.. chill out faster... Maybe they have higher cold resist? (immune to cold in hell)

EDIT:
    *SLAPS HEAD*

I just checked Buriza's stats, It's got freezes target +3, which would mean a 1.5 second freeze in nightmare... duh... so I guess i'm wrong after all.

9. pharaoh

pharaoh IncGamers Member

That's the 'hit freezes target' mod on her Buriza. This mod gives a chance to freeze any monster that can be frozen (ie, not including cold immunes or certain un-chillable monsters, like the act5 worldstone minotaurs). It's based on your level, the target's level, and the total bonus on all of your items that possess this mod. It's not guaranteed, but with a high enough bonus, or if your level is high enough compared to the monsters you're fighting, you'll freeze things consistently.

Try removing the cold charms, and trying it. You should notice that the frequency of freezing is no different, but the duration _may_ be different- I'm not sure. I know the cold duration on the 'Eye of Etlich' in v1.09 did stack with 'hit freezes target' and skills like ice/freezing arrow, but I'm not sure if charms did, nor am I sure if any of it does in v1.10.

To answer the question about how much cold you need, the people who said you need to freeze, as opposed to simply chill, to guarantee shattering were correct. A frozen monster will always shatter, whereas a chilled monster (it even counts if chilled by Holy Freeze; great against cold immunes) has a chance to shatter. I seem to recall reading '20% chance' somewhere on Arreat Summit, but I can't find it again, and I might be remembering it wrong.

10. pharaoh

pharaoh IncGamers Member

No, the +3 is the bonus to the chance to freeze. It indirectly affects duration, if the 'roll of the dice' determine that the monster gets frozen. You can check it out on Arreat Summit. Here's a link:

http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/magic.shtml

It's a little over two-thirds the way down the page.

11. Andrew

Andrew IncGamers Member

Thanks for showing me the light! haha :idea:

12. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

Shattering has nothing to do with cold damage amount it has to do with hitting a monster while frozen or chilled. The % chance is based on clvl vs mlvl and is ran through a formula that I do not recall, however you need to be much higher in lvl or hit many times while the monsters are frozen to guarantee the chance to shatter. If you wanna see this effect for yourself take a low power frozen orb with a high clvl into act 1 normal and spam away. Nearly everything should shatter. However, IIRC things that shatter have a much higher no drop rate.

13. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

Monster when chilled have a 20% chance of exploding into ice shards and frozen monster (hit causes monsters to freeze, FA, etc) always explode.

Their drop rate is unchanged AFAIK.

14. Kaysaar

Kaysaar IncGamers Member

Thanks for clearing stuff up as usual RTB. And Pharaoh, Welcome to the Forums! :howdy: You should make an intro thread.