Cold Damage and Shattering

RedRockRun

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm trying to figure this one out. When the enemy is chilled will it shatter when the killing blow is delivered while the chill effect is still up, must the chill effect be up and the killing blow be with cold damage, or will any cold damage killing blow produce a shatter?

Additionally, do other status effects and sources of elemental damage prevent shattering? For instance I have a merc with a poison weapon, and some of my charms deal lightning damage.

Even when enemies look like they are chilled they still die normally. I put away the lightning charms, and I think I might be getting more shatters, but there are still instances where it looks as though the chill effect is up from the first attack, and my second attack is a kill shot, yet there is no shatter.

I remember reading something about there being a theoretical 100% chance to shatter, but I'm wondering whether or not that was accurate and the chance to shatter is only around one in five.

Finally, are there any other factors that play into this I may be missing?

krischan

Europe Trade Moderator
A chilled monster (appears in blue, moves slowly) has a 20% to shatter upon death, no matter what kills it. A frozen monster (blue, stands still) will always shatter.

Source

RedRockRun

Diabloii.Net Member
A chilled monster (appears in blue, moves slowly) has a 20% to shatter upon death, no matter what kills it. A frozen monster (blue, stands still) will always shatter.

Source
Thank you.
I suppose I am shattering them when chilled from the clvl and mlvl formula alluded to on that thread plus the CB shatter chilled factor (if that is indeed correct). Also I take it that no amount of cold damage can change an enemy's status from chilled to frozen?

krischan

Europe Trade Moderator
Cold damage only chills monsters per se, it doesn't freeze them, no matter how much it is. An attack must have the additional property to freeze them in order to achieve that, like glacial spike or ice blast, while e.g. blizzard will only chill them. Weapons like a Buriza or one that is socketed with a Cham rune have a chance to freeze them as well.

If a weapon have the property "freezes target", the chance to freeze in percent is 50 + (AL + (B*4) - DL) * 5 with AL = attacker level (subtract 6 for ranged attacks), DL = defender level, B = freezing bonus (equals 1 if no number is shown on the property). The chance is divided by 3 for ranged attacks.

Bosses cannot be frozen. They will will be chilled instead if they were meant to freeze.

Cold immunes cannot be chilled and I'm not sure if they can be frozen. I don't think so.

There's also the property "slows target", it's not related to cold. Cold immunes aren't immune to it. Example: Kelpie Snare.

sanguillen

Diabloii.Net Member
If a weapon have the property "freezes target", the chance to freeze in percent is 50 + (AL + (B*4) - DL) * 5 with AL = attacker level (subtract 6 for ranged attacks), DL = defender level, B = freezing bonus (equals 1 if no number is shown on the property). The chance is divided by 3 for ranged attacks.

Bosses cannot be frozen. They will will be chilled instead if they were meant to freeze.

Cold immunes cannot be chilled and I'm not sure if they can be frozen. I don't think so.
I've noticed that for melee characters, The Eye Of Etlitch is a fantastic little amulet that allows you to freeze monsters 100% of the time when you strike them in Normal and Nightmare. This, as you noted above, does not apply to uniques, super uniques, bosses, or cold immunes as they will be just chileld instead (except cold immunes won't even be chilled) but man, does it help with crowd control when leveling early on. Everything you hit shatters when they die. :cool:

T72on1

Diabloii.Net Member
Eye of Etlich is indeed always very useful. The cold duration varies and can't be seen ingame, but it does show in GoMule. I think it's between 3-7 seconds.

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member
Worth noting that in Hell difficulty some mobs have "chill effectiveness=0", frenzytaurs in ice cellars and WSK, gloams in WSK, a few others IIRC. Freezes Target +X mod & +cold damage equally have no effect (slow or freeze), other than the damage they may do.
Yes, the two most advanced Frenzytaur types (Hell Lord and Death Lord), all gloams and bone fetish. What about ghosts? I don't remember, it's been a while...

helvete

Diabloii.Net Member
Gloams can definitely be chilled or froze. Those ice monsters in the act 5 caves can't be frozen.

onderduiker

Diabloii.Net Member
Worth noting that in Hell difficulty some mobs have "chill effectiveness=0", frenzytaurs in ice cellars and WSK, gloams in WSK, a few others IIRC.
Basin Wiki's chill effectiveness page has more details (applicable for 1.10+, maybe not for earlier patches).

Eye of Etlich is indeed always very useful. The cold duration varies and can't be seen ingame, but it does show in GoMule. I think it's between 3-7 seconds.
Cold length can be from 2 to 10 :cool: seconds.

Yes, the two most advanced Frenzytaur types (Hell Lord and Death Lord), all gloams and bone fetish. What about ghosts? I don't remember, it's been a while...
Death Lords have 0 chill effectiveness in every difficulty, while all Willowisps (Gloams), Bone Fetishes and Wraiths (Ghosts) only have 0 chill effectiveness in Hell. Hell (and Moon) Lords have -10 chill effectiveness in Hell so they can be chilled or frozen, but they also have Cold Resist 75% and cold and freeze lengths are 1/4 in Hell (so they're barely slowed, if at all once frenzied, and maybe only for a fraction of a second).

Gloams can definitely be chilled or froze. Those ice monsters in the act 5 caves can't be frozen.
They can definitely be chilled or frozen in Normal or Nightmare, but not Hell (at least in 1.10+). It's true that all Frozen Horrors cannot be frozen in Nightmare and Hell, and Frozen Scourge can't be in Normal, but in Normal Frozen Terrors have -15 chill effectiveness and Frozen Horrors -25 (so they can be chilled and frozen).

Now that I think on it, don't the white yeti-types in the ice caves (ex: Frozenstein) have the "CBF" effect as well?
They're always Immune to Cold in Hell (all 150% or more) but, while none of them have 0 chill effectiveness, Frozenstein and his Frozen Abyss minions only have -5 chill effectiveness in Hell, and Abominables and Snow Drifters -10, so even Holy Freeze has little effect on them.

Last edited: