Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Col. David H. Hackworth, 1930-2005

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by llad12, May 6, 2005.

1. llad12

llad12 IncGamers Member

Col. David H. Hackworth, 1930-2005

P R Newswire

A patriot, legendary soldier, and outspoken watch-dog for the military is gone.

Although sometimes controversial, the "Hack" always looked out for the ordinary soldier first and foremost. SFTT

Services are pending in Arlington

He will be missed.

RIP

2. Necrolestes

Necrolestes IncGamers Member

Soldier for peace

A man of courage, by anyone's standards. He stood up for what he knew would be unpopular but he stood by it because it was what he felt was right. The US needs more men like him and less men like Tom DeLay and Donald Rumsfeld.

3. KillJoyBob

KillJoyBob IncGamers Member

Men of conscience and principal will always be missed.

4. Freemason

Freemason Banned

Gotta love the hate Necro. :thumbsup:

Col. Hackworth did what he believed right. One must admire that.

5. llad12

llad12 IncGamers Member

To the end, colonel a man of the troops

Boston Globe

6. CyberHawk

CyberHawk IncGamers Member

Thanks for the read fellas...always good to learn about such heros as Hackworth. :thumbsup:
    RIP.

7. Geeno

Geeno IncGamers Member

I dont mean to turn this into a debate.

But my dad got that ****ing cancer from agent orange. He said he could remember the guys who sprayed it laughing as they soaked the troops.

Some vets have been reimbursed for medical bills and etc as a result of this cancer, other illnesses.

So we send my dads military records including pictures of him in vietnam and sworn testimony from people who knew him..

Know what they said? Tough, we dont have enough proof that you were in viet nam, despite all the records, pictures and witnesses. So go **** yourself.

Thats why i hate the government.

8. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

You shouldn't hate the Gov't - simple non-partisan distrust is more than sufficient. When an organization is designed to achieve mediocrity and bureaucracy, you should not be surprised when it does both.

I've been writing letters to try to get my Father-in-Law the Silver Star he was recommended for (as a field medic who survived the entire Merrill's Marauders campaign in Burma). Sadly, the way to get results is to find a patron with influence, rather than process the paperwork correctly.

As for my mild Gulf War symptoms, they curtly informed me that I was not suffering from exposure to Agent Orange. Guess I was around 5 years old during my 'Nam tour...

I love the line on the second post by Ill. RIP, Colonel. You will be missed.

9. DaviddeJong

DaviddeJong IncGamers Member

hehe...

The doctors told me that the battle for hill 341 was all in my head. They didn't want to declare me insane, now I have to work for a living! They so picky, I guess you had to be there to be traumatised; but after all the movies I've watched, I think I should qualify too.

Don't you think?

David.

10. Geeno

Geeno IncGamers Member

Well you Gulf War guys are in for it all the same. When youre around 50 expect all your old buddies to start droppin like flies.

11. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

It actually has already begun. Perhaps that's why I take such exception to people claiming that Saddam had no WMD... perhaps I was downwind of the destruction of a fruit salad stockpile?

However, the watch-phrase I've grown used to is stress, i.e. "You're not sick, you're crazy." Great way to malign both the troops and the issue, with an eye towards trying to fake Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. Stress my arse, I had more stress in garrison, or in my current job, than we did during 75% of our 'desert field exercise'.

Again, Hack will be missed, because he was kind of like Ralph Nader when it came to examining this BS. Certainly not always right, but definitely doing the right thing.