Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

CmdLineExt03.dll

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Patch Bug Reports & Suggestions' started by kuafu, Sep 15, 2006.

1. kuafu

kuafu IncGamers Member

CmdLineExt03.dll

Since this morning, my Windows Defender started to report a trojan in Windows\System32\CmdLineExt03.dll every time I run Diablo. A search online shows that this is a dll typically used by games to prevent illegal CD copying, and Diablo2 is explicitly listed as one of the games that installs it. It is only reported as trojan today on my machine probably due to an update to Window Defender. Has anyone seen this before? I'm just wondering if it's safe to allow it to run; and if I block it, will diablo still run fine?

2. Inokis

Inokis IncGamers Member

Yes, I got it today and I removed it. Until they allow exceptions to the program thats really all you can do. Hopefully eventually we'll be able to manually allow exceptions to programs, other than the ones that give you the option to do so.

You can allow it in the options that are provided. That is in essence adding it to an exceptions list. I'll just continue removing it per instance as dii should still run.

3. kuafu

kuafu IncGamers Member

Here's an easier solution:
    1) Quite all running D2 instances.
    2) Go to windows\system32 and delete CmdLineExt03.dll
    3) Create an empty text file in windows\system32, and rename it to CmdLineExt03.dll (make sure you changed the extension correctly, so it's not .dll.txt).
    4) Make the file Read-only.
    After that the game won't create the dll any more, and it'll run just fine, at least based on my experience in past 2 hours.

4. Inokis

Inokis IncGamers Member

I'm still hesitant to recommend allowing the file even when you've created a dummy file. Any number of malware could come in, del the file and recreate it and the program would be set to ignore the file.

5. kuafu

kuafu IncGamers Member

No, you won't be allowing the file. After creating the dummy file, the one from D2 won't be created any more, so you won't get the notification from windows defender any more. I definitely don't recommend allowing that file either.

6. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

i normally create a dummy folder with the filename and ext and attrib it with +a +s +h +r
    most malware cant get past that

7. Inokis

Inokis IncGamers Member

8. SirDooFuss

SirDooFuss IncGamers Member

9. Metabouloss

Metabouloss IncGamers Member

CmdLineExt03.dll

Kuafu,

Thanks for your solution, it worked for me.

Metabouloss