Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Cloak of Shadows crash

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by TheNix, May 31, 2018.

1. TheNix

TheNix Diabloii.Net Member

I have not heard anything to the contrary, so I am assuming that this error is still ongoing. I remember that the crash happened frequently when CoS was used against the Ancients and I seem to remember that it happened more in Act 5 than anywhere else, but that just might be selection bias on my behalf. Is this still a mystery crash or has what actually triggers the crash been solved?

2. GalaXyHaXz

GalaXyHaXz Diabloii.Net Member

Never heard of it, but if it happens to you, then make sure to keep a copy of the crashlog and the error message. (The EIP in the D2MMDDYY.txt is the number a debugger needs to understand and fix the issue).

But don't bother sending it to the interns over at Blizzard. They have no idea how to fix anything ;)

3. Jocular

Jocular Diabloii.Net Member

It used to happen enough to make me avoid using assassins, but this was back before 1.14. It hasn't happened since I came back to D2 this past year. As far as I can tell it isn't much of a problem anymore.

TheNix likes this.
  4. T72on1

T72on1 Diabloii.Net Member

Afaik it can still happen at the Ancients. Don't think it happens other than that though. Probably one of the 99ers Assassin players (@NanoMist and @PhineasB) have more experience with it, since they ran an Assassin for a few hundred hours? ;)

TheNix likes this.
  5. TheNix

Thanks guys. CoS has never really been more than a one point wonder for me, usually for my trappers/kickers, but it is good to know that it is not as bad as it use to be. Could it be triggered if the Shadow Warrior/Master cast CoS? I think I remember hearing about it, but I cannot really remember; age does that to a person! :p

6. Fruit

Fruit Diabloii.Net Member

just block every single packet, all problems solved! /current_team

OT: the bug is ancient and also applies to single player, it's probably been present since 1.07. i haven't played assassin in 1.14, but i doubt it's fixed.
    iirc the crash doesn't happen when CoS is applied, but rather when the target "resets". for example when CoS ends, or when talic ends his whirlwind. perhaps also when chilled status ends? stuff like that.

i assume it has to do with the AI-altering effect of CoS. i bet it's relatively easy to debug for anyone experience with d2. ;)
    i'll quote @jiansonz:

7. GalaXyHaXz

GalaXyHaXz Diabloii.Net Member

Here's another approach: does CoS cause crashing before the ancients' are summoned, or only after? If the latter is the case, then this is most likely a bug in the Ancients' AI, as each monster is given it's own custom reaction to the effects of CoS (some monsters are immune to it whilst others are dumb).

If I had to guess, Blizzard forgot to program how the Ancients' will react to the radius effect of CoS.

On the other hand, if CoS crashes when the ancients aren't there, then the bug is likely due to the light radius effect of CoS while on the Arreat Summit. (Unlikely! :D)

@Fruit, ya beat me to it :p

8. TheNix

The @jiansonz quote seems to support my memory of SW/SM also causing the crash by casting CoS; I ain't lost all my marbles yet!

Fruit likes this.
  9. Fruit

Fruit Diabloii.Net Member

tested it out earlier (for science!). in 1.07 and 1.09 it does not crash the game: CoS simply does not affect any of the ancients, nor does it affect any of the "spawners" mentioned in the above quote.
    so somewhere between 1.09 and 1.14 (i predict 1.10), CoS was changed to affect these targets. (the patch notes say nothing about it.)

it's possible that the following change from 1.10 unintentionally bugged out CoS: "A behavior-changing curse (like Dim Vision) can no longer affect a monster permanently, when the player portals away"

edit: actually, maybe it's simpler, and it was undocumented change, allowing CoS to affect targets that usually can not be cursed (to at least allow the defense de-buff to go through). i suppose bosses remained flagged to not be affected by the skill at all, while
    other targets (like oblivion knights) were patched properly to receive the defense de-buff but not the AI de-buff (or their existing flags sufficed). in that case, they might've just forgotten about spawners and ancients.
    so, more or less what GalaXyHaXz suggested.

Last edited: May 31, 2018
    Albatross and TheNix like this.
  10. jiansonz

jiansonz Diabloii.Net Member

For what it's worth, I almost never run into the bug anymore on my current computer. Still playing v1.13, as I did quite a while on my last computer, and there it happened a lot. The (very) few times it happens now, it's almost always when leapers are around.

I still take away the CoS hotkey before fighting Ancients in NM/Hell. Better safe than sorry.

11. Shuffleblast

Shuffleblast Diabloii.Net Member

I don't recall ever experiencing this bug and I've had a dozen 90+ assassins. It might be system dependent? So I killed the ancients right now, used CoS twice during that time and nothing happened. I also always CoS baal's minion waves.