Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Clever play in high school football game

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Gibbzilla, Sep 27, 2006.

1. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla IncGamers Member

Clever play in high school football game

Linkage

Although it's illegal, it's still a great idea. The refs are horrible.

2. PatMaGroin

PatMaGroin IncGamers Member

Is it really illegal? How so?

Cheap, yes, especially for high school, but I'm not sure about illegal.

3. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

Hilarious. And cheap. And then a little more funny.

4. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla IncGamers Member

In high school football, the offense can't say things prior to the snap to confuse the defense, and unsportsmanslike conduct should be called, resulting in a deadball and a penalty from the line of scrimmage.

5. PatMaGroin

Well that may be the case, but it's the defense's fault. They don't relax until the whistle blows, as they should know. If the clock is running and the center gives the quarterback the ball, people should be getting hit.

If I'm that defensive coach, I'm ashamed of the job I've done with my squad.

6. Gertlex

Gertlex Banned

Was it originally their idea? or is that a common joke?

7. PatMaGroin

In the NFL, there have been plays when the QB barks plays, everyone acts like they can't hear, and the QB starts walking towards the sidelines and unbuttons his chin strap. The center then direct snaps to the RB who takes off running, or throws downfield.

Those don't happen anymore because the league threatened to call illegal motion on the QB.

8. PlagueBearer

PlagueBearer IncGamers Member

My good friend in high school was into football and there was this one play where the QB would act like he had the ball, ACT like he was throwing it, then some guy downfeild would ACT like he had caught it and RUN.

In reality, the QB passes off the ball to my friend who calmly trots towards the endzone while all the other brutes are chasing the ball he didn't throw.

It reminded me of how you can pretend to throw something and make a dog chase thin air.

9. P2blr

P2blr IncGamers Member

how would the defense no see the lack of ball in the air? and even the guys who would be chasing buddy not see him not catch anything?

10. Freet

Freet IncGamers Member

It's called a fake and they do it all the time. Normally though this only buys a second or so since the defense doesn't see the ball in the air. The receiver prentending to catch it is only fooling his defender since this guy is concentrating on him and doesn't see that the ball is not coming. This move only takes the one guy out of the actual play.

That is unless the teams you played against came to the game in a short bus. :lipsrsealed:

11. PlagueBearer

It was a night game and the feild had crap lighting. Gotta take advantage of your terrain when it favors you, neh?

And the illusion was masterful. The QB really sold the toss, and the reciever the catch. Either the rest of his team was totally into it was well: the fake recever had his own blocker and everything. If my friend's father wasn't sitting next to me telling me what was happening I probably would have bought it too.

Apparently they recognised the potential for abuse of the lighting (their feild) and came up with the play accordingly.

12. LonghornRob

LonghornRob IncGamers Member

I've seen my junior high's football team do the exact same play that's in the video. Our QB was the fastest guy on our team, so it worked to perfection. He just looked down at the ball, grabbed it from the center, held it up and yelled "coach this is the kicking ball!", then ran over to the sideline and headed downfield into the endzone.

And no, this isn't allowed in high school football.

13. Stompwampa

Stompwampa IncGamers Member

why did the guy in the video say that it is a legal play then? was it outlawed because of this video, or was this taken outside the U.S.?

It seems like a cheap shot to me. . .

14. bg1256

bg1256 IncGamers Member

Sportsmanship is a lost art.

If I were a parent, and my kid's coach pulled a play like that, I'd be upset. That's not competition. That's just taking advantage of naive high schoolers.

15. PlagueBearer

I'm in the "If they fall for it they deserve to lose" camp myself. The lack of intelligence so often excused by athletic ability should not be tolerated. Getting upset over a play SO easily countered (and taken advanatge of, for that matter) by a team with even a HINT of intelligence is like saying "Hey, that's not fair, football players shouldn't have to think!" Hell, even ONE MEMBER of the defense with HALF a brain could bust the thing to peices.

Being able to think outside the box is a life skill. The offense should be rewarded for this, just as the defense should be punished.

16. KillerAim

KillerAim IncGamers Member

Wasn’t a variation of this play used in the remake of "The Longest Yard"?

17. Stompwampa

Stompwampa IncGamers Member

I somewhat agree with that, but I'm still with bg1256 too. There's a difference between running a well-thought out and practiced play and downright deceiving your opponent to take advantage of them.
    Granted, I'm sure this team was never able to pull that play off again, since anytime they would have tried it the QB would have been pummeled by the entire defensive line. . .

18. bg1256

bg1256 IncGamers Member

If they were professionals, I'd agree with you. But they're not. They're high schoolers. Imo, this is simply a play in poor taste which exploits the naivity and inexperience of 16-18 year-old kids.

edit: I should make this more explicit. What bothers me about this play the most is the fact that the head coach is interfering with the play on the field. I don't think coaches should ever intentionally disrupt play on the field/court etc.
    If it were different, I might not have a problem with it. If the center had simply handed off sideways to the quarterback, and then the quarterback took off, then I would see it as fair play. But since the coach was participating in the play, I have a problem
    First, he's another person in on the play - putting the defense at a disadvatage.
    Second, it's poor taste, as I've already mentioned.

19. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

My school is known for football more than our academics(we do a hell of a lot better in academics too) and I have to say the majority of the football team is scarily stupid. I'm not saying all football players are dumb, but if they do one thing(football) they should know that time was never called and that the handoff was a valid start to a play. They should also know there is only one type of ball in their sport.

I don't think it is poor sportsmanship, it is creative and just went outside the normal paradigm. If your team cannot adapt and pay attention then you deserve to lose. Just because it's different doesn't mean it is bad.

20. pancakeman

pancakeman IncGamers Member

Got a problem with my team?