Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Cleric/Hammerdin Pally

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by PirateCowboyNinja, Sep 29, 2006.

1. PirateCowboyNinja

PirateCowboyNinja IncGamers Member

Cleric/Hammerdin Pally

I was thinking of starting a new pally, and as I was looking through various guides I found two builds I liked, the hammerdin and the cleric.Would there be anyway to have both builds in the one character withought reducing the abilities of either too much? If anyone could help it would be apreciated alot.

2. koeraokse

koeraokse IncGamers Member

well, I would probably devide skills like this:
    hammers 20
    holy bolt 20
    prayer 20
    conc 20
    rest into holy shield for the defense or into vigor/blessed aim for more hammer dmg, eq is same for both...

:shocked:
    *priit2

3. herbboy

herbboy IncGamers Member

no way, Hammer damage dramatically reduces when you do not max them using that build you will be lucky to do 5-6k hammer dmg whereas a pure hammerdin can top 13-14k

4. PirateCowboyNinja

Thanks for your help koeraokse, and in reply to herbboy, really Im just looking for a backup skill so I can help damage non undead and if needs be, escape them

5. The Pharaoh

The Pharaoh IncGamers Member

I have a lvl77 Strickly Cleric pally and pretty much everyone loves me, except i can only kill tha undead......HB damage of 6.3k, heal from 220 to 460....with max prayer and using med that also regen mana mad quick with an additional 37 heal rate.

6. PirateCowboyNinja

Pharoh, would you recomend sacrificing a few healing skills to have hammers, or would it downgrade my healing/undead killing abilities too much.

7. zeiris

zeiris IncGamers Member

I remember reading a cleric guide that used ED versus demons to up killing power. I think the skill used for that was charge... Which may be a fairly viable option on the whole, since it should give big damage easily and works with the insight.... Though a two-handed zealer would rock.

8. munchkins

munchkins IncGamers Member

use a skill that does not require many skills to be effective. possibilties are zeal/charge/smite???/vengeance

i recommend zeal, because you cant get very fast attack with it even while runnning your healing auras, and 1 pt zeal is plenty

9. The Pharaoh

The Pharaoh IncGamers Member

well i've already got mad skill points into hammers cuz it ups my HB, but your hammers won't be that powerful, even maxed...just a pretty display to watch as you die. Tha Cleric build, is not for soloing and even though i've maxed FoH to up HB as well, it's still useless in hell.

10. MarleyBob

MarleyBob IncGamers Member

Re: Cleric/Hammerdin Pally

Hey Im new to this forum but definitely not new to diablo, I've been playing ever since the origional diablo, which got me hooked. I play Diablo 2 classic, mainly because the runeword items are just too powerful, I mean a teleporting hammerdin? come on. Anyways the reason im posting is because I recently started a cleric paladin, but I have tweaked the build a little bit and so far it has worked great. I'm building what I would call a clerical smiter. Im pretty sure Im the first one to do this, or at least write about it, but if anyone else has please let me know. Heres how Im building the skills:
    20 prayer
    20 defiance(for boosting holy shield, not actual aura)
    20 holy shield
    20 smite
    I was thinking of an attack for a cleric that would actually be helpful, not wanting to use weak low lvl hammers or foh. It just seemed logical to use smite, because it gets bonuses from holy shield and defiance. For stats Im purely str and vit, because smiters don't really need dex unless they want max block, but with maxed prayer I can afford to tank a couple hits :) Let me know what you all think, I would love some feedback... thats all for now

11. Doctor Clock

Doctor Clock IncGamers Member

Some time ago I made a Battle Cleric (offensive based Cleric). I maxed Holy Bolt and its synergies to kill undead, and used a Gimmershred (you could also use Voice of Reason, Rift, or Azurewrath) along with maxed Conviction to deal with non-undead. He actually did very well and could pretty much decimate the Chaos Sanctuary.

If you want to be able to attack when not healing/fighting undead, I would suggest such a route. Also, having Conviction makes you very party friendly when playing with elemental based players.

12. MarleyBob

>Some time ago I made a Battle Cleric (offensive based Cleric). I maxed Holy Bolt and its synergies to kill undead, and used a Gimmershred (you could also use Voice of Reason, Rift, or Azurewrath)<

As I said, I play classic diablo 2, not LOD. The Clerical smiter Im describing can't use any of those items. I am also using the aura meditation to heal party members, not holy bolt. This allows for me to use smite, and kill non-undead.

13. Ed from Russia

Ed from Russia IncGamers Member

If you are rich and on ladder, you can get 2x Dream and 1 pt in Zeal; that will pretty much take care of your attack so the rest can go in Prayer, Holy Bolt + synergies. Though you might also invest in Resist Lightning (synergy for Dream aura) and Holy Shield.

Hmmm, I was about to trade my 2xDream away; might give this a try before I do.

14. MarleyBob

Ed, I don't play LoD, I play classic diablo 2. This means no runes. Im sure a clerical smiter would have very limited effect in LoD, unless you have gg gear. Luckily my experience in classic so far has been kick ***, I can tank the **** out of anything. Also I was thinking there are many paladin builds that would benefit from a maxed prayer level, LoD or Classic. You won't be the hardest hitting pally out there, but you will be very popular in team games and a tough contender in most duels.