Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Classic Sorc Build for Hell 8-player rushes

Discussion in 'Classic' started by UberB, Apr 28, 2008.

1. UberB

UberB IncGamers Member

Classic Sorc Build for Hell 8-player rushes

Hey all, I want to make a classic sorc which can rush in 8 player games from Normal act1 to ideally Hell Act4 by herself. I think a dual element CL/FO would work fine. I don't think a Frozen Orb/Firewall build would be as okay since FI/CI's are common in Trav and even in the nightmare Chaos sanctuary. So CL/FO is definitely the way to go I think. So what would be the skill layout, the stat layout and the gear?

2. grShaman

grShaman IncGamers Member

Re: Classic Sorc Build for Hell 8-player rushes

Dual element rusher? Impossible.
    Let's say 10 points in Teleport, 20 Orb, 20 Cold Mastery, 5-6 for the pre-reqs. What will be left for your lightning skills?

3. Hawkreborn

Hawkreborn IncGamers Member

it wont be that fast of a rush, seeing as how your damage is going to be really low

4. UberB

UberB IncGamers Member

Well, my friend WAS able to rush 7 mules to hell act4 by herself. That said, he was level 85 and had the following skill layout (more or less)

20 frozen orb
    10 cold mastery
    20 Chain lightning
    20 lightning mastery
    1 in tele, prereqs, rest into ice bolt

(he has two sojs which makes up for only 1 point in tele)

I wonder if it's possible to tweak his build a little so it's more efficient. Is it possible to have CL as the main killer and orb as backup? Or is Frozen Orb the strongest skill in classic? It took my friend a long time to beat hell Trav, so if it's not practical I'll just make a FO/Firewall sorc and rush to act3 and convert.

5. WarlockCC

WarlockCC Diablo Classic Moderator

Monsters will have too much lightning resist in Hell to use Chain lightning as the main spell. You'd have to fully synergize Chain lightning to make a difference.
    Just go with max Orb,Cold Mastery,teleport and get one point in lightning mastery and several points in static and nova. Get your sorc as much life as possible(light gear) so she can take a punch from the Cold Immune monsters which will need to get close to get in range.

-= edit =-
    Ah, and use a Barb for Trav.

6. grShaman

I see a bad word there.

7. WarlockCC

Yeah, I'll ask around why the word filter didn't pick up on it. :)

It's often happened that people come to classic to get chars leveled fast for LoD, after playing Classic for a while they find Classic also has it's charms and they play 50/50, so helping them rush in turn helps Classic.

8. UberB

UberB IncGamers Member

Ok, problem is I've already made a level 72 sorc, and kind of messed up on her skills.

20 Frozen Orb
    20 Icebolt
    20 chain lightning
    1 cold mastery
    1 teleport
    1 warmth
    Rest into lightning mastery

Is it salvageable?

9. HegemonKhan

HegemonKhan IncGamers Member

i think u CAN make a 8 person sorc rusher.

IMO, this is how it can be done:

basically u make an orber:

all or most pts into vit. Max orb, cold mast, teleport, ice bolt (if u need more damage for orb). u have used 60 or 80 skill pts based on whetehr u max ice bolt or not. this leaves u 20 or 40 skill pts left, though less since u arent gonna get to lvl 99. also 1 pt into static of course. also if u want, 1 pts into whatever cold armor skill u want.

ORB is your main killing kill. most monters are NOT cold immune. so this is great. your main killing skill ORB will be useful almost everywhere. u have max teleport for cheap mana cost which helps with being a rusher. u have max or nearly max into vit. which is good for rusher as it keeps u alive.

now this is what is different:

with the remaining 20 or 40 skill pts, u put into fire and/or lit (lit=lightning=my abrev. :p) and/or static for more range so u can deal with cold immunes. thankfully, static (and if u have pts more into static will increase its range letting u hit more monsters) will help a lot with reducing life of cold immunes. this allows u to kill with non synergied fire and/or lit skills. now what fire and/or lit skills to do.. well for fire...the single best skill is firewall or meteor. i know firewall does huge damage and u dont need many pts into and i'm sure metoer is the same. u will be able to kill easy with static+firewall/meteor against cold immune, non-fire immune monsters. now for the FEW cold AND fire immune monsters we want eitehr nova or lightning (im not sure which is better. lightning does good damage but has that 1 min damage...i'm not sure if nova also has 1 min damage..if it doesnt than nova is obviously better, but in either case u want either lightning or nova cuz they do best damage). than jsut like fire, u use static to reduce life, than use either nova or lightning to kill the cold and fire immune monster.

alright and now about the gear:

since u want a rusher, u want FCR first gear. than if/where u can u want +skills gear. FCR > +skills, IMO. FCR help u teleport faster (good for rushing), helps u static faster (good for killing), and helps u cast firewall / meteor / lightning / nova / orb faster (which is good for killing). +skills will increase all skills, giving u more damage for all skills (main skill orb (cold) and secondary skills of fire and lit).

u also of course want resistance on gear as well. and with large life from all or nearly all into vit, u should almost never die. and be able to kill any and every thing using orb (cold) as your main killing skill, than for cold immunes u use static than either fire or lit skills to kill as your secondary killing skills. with static u can have a tri-elementalist to deal with any immunity while keeping your orb rusher at full power.

**i forgot to mention this: PUT 1 pt into both fire mast and lit mast! (it'll help give u more damage for fire and lit attacks)**

** i forgot to mention this: if u can spare pts get 1 pt also into litning storm. it will give u addition lit damage to stack with nova/lightning for the cold n fire immune monsters)**

*the only problem u will have is with cold AND lit immune monsters. no orb and no static. this means u have to kill solely with firewall/metoer. no life reduction from static. fortunately, though each cast stacks damage. so despite the low skills into firewall or metoer u should be able to kill quickly enough.**

10. WarlockCC

Nova's min indeed is not 1 and it's damage per point is very nice when combined with the one point in lightning mastery. It does not have a casting delay, so it's damage per time-unit goes up as you hit higher faster castrate breakpoints. And you will want to get fcr just to survive the Viper temple.

Thunder Storm actually costs 4 skill points to get level 1 due to the pre-reqs IF you already have static and nova, otherwise it's 6.

Firewall and Meteor, even if you train to aim it properly(mercs are cardboard cut-outs in Classic ), will not reach the effectiveness of static with Nova with some fcr, due to the other spells casting delays and with Meteor, amount of skillpoints required to get some damage.

In fact, for rushing, you don't need to be able to kill everything. You could leave the boss in the maggot lair alive. You could leave the boss in the viper temple alive too, since he can't get up on the altar. If he is on the altar, position yourself south of him to avoid getting hit by his lightning while you static and nova him.

The only hard part you will have with a Full tele, Orb, Cold Master sorc with static/nova, will be Travincial for the simple reason that the council hits hard(physical damage that is) and does a good amount of fire damage with their hydra's. So in that respect you will have trouble with travincial with any sorc, hence the barb.

As for the cold and lightning immune monsters, show me one and I'll show you how to teleport past it.

On a sidenote, this 'lit' you keep mentioning, is that an abbreviation for light radius, because a candle is 'lit' ? ;)

11. grShaman

:tongue:

UberB, I think you kinda messed it all up with the 20 points spent to Ice Bolt. That makes your sorc a pure Orber, well... with some useless skill points put into CL :tongue:
    My opinion: make a new sorceress.

12. UberB

UberB IncGamers Member

So, to make sure I got all of this right.

20 Frozen Orb
    20 Ice bolt
    20 Cold Mastery
    20 Teleport
    1 warmth
    1 static
    1 telekinesis
    1 frost nova, ice blast, glacial spike, blizzard
    1 nova
    1 lightning mastery

89 skill points (unless i missed a prereq or two), done at level 77. Rest into Nova or lightning mastery, whichever gives more damage.

13. HegemonKhan

sorry for the lack of explanation about my lit abrev.

my lit abreviation comes from very old school days of final fantasy 1 with the mage characters and lightning magic. lit is a very nice and very short abrev for the word lightning, so i use cuz i like it. it has nothing to do with radius or like a "lit" up candle. lit is merely a lazy shorthand for the word lightning. but to distinguish between the lightning 30 skill tab and the lightning skill i use lit for the 30 skill lightning tab and type out lightning when i am speaking about the specific skill lightning at lvl 12.

my "lit" is short for the lightning skills tab of the 3 tabs (cold, fire, lightning)

when i type out lightning i am refering to the skill, Lightning (lvl 12 skill), between lightning bolts and chain lightning skills

14. HegemonKhan

warlock is correct, u do NOT have to kill everything. in fact, u can rush by most monsters and some guardian quest monsters/bosses as warlock mentioned.

i just mentioned about the tri-elem build so that if u want u CAN kill everything if u want or (if) need to OR if the otehr characters want exp or need u to kill monsters so they dont die if they are trying to folow u in your rushing for either quests or exp for the otehr characters.

i didnt know nova ("lightning" nova not to be confused with frost nova) was so good. though firewall (as warlock mentioned meteor takes much more preq skills than firewall, and i always prefered firewall due to less kill pts and its huge stand-alone damage, but i jsut added meteor because it is also a huge stand alone damage fire skill) i always thought was a better choice than meteor

the reason i mentioned both firewall and nova (knowing now about nova, imo these 2 skills are better than lightning and meteor) is to be able to kill both combo's of immunes:

1. if NOT cold immune, use your main killing skill orb (duh)
    2. if ONLY cold immune, use either firewall or nova, which ever is the more effective/damaging one for that monster(s)
    3. if cold and fire immune, use (duh) nova
    4. if cold and lit immune, use (duh) firewall

5. if not lit immune, always use static first to reduce life to make faster kills (duh).

6. thankfully (and so are sorcs), i'm 99% positive there is NO tri-elem immune monsters:D

Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  15. HegemonKhan

about putting pts into ice bolt or not:

if u need the extra damage to orb from synergy ice bolt than u (duh) need to put into ice bolt.

but, if u kill fine (fast) without pts into ice bolt than do NOT put pts into ice bolt, u need those extra pts elsewhere:D

16. HegemonKhan

skill list for my build:

20 orb, 20 cold mast, 20 ice bolt, 20 teleport, 1 (preq) frost nova, 1 (preq) ice blast, 1 (preq) glacial spike, 1 (preq) bliz, 1 static, 1 lit mast, 1 fire mast, 1 (preq) inferno, 1 (preq) telekinesis, 1 firewall, 1 (lit) nova,

*optional: 1 frozen armor (and/or 1 thunder storm and/or higher cold armors=but this would require u get your char to near lvl 90, which is way to high for most people, if u using the 20 into ice bolt, that is)

+12 sk pts from quests, 91(or 92*) sk pts used, 91 (or 92*)-12=79 (or 80*) min char lvl req, IF u put 20 pts into ice bolt.

with each character lvl beyond lvl 79 (or 80*) (however high u want/can go) each sk pt should be put into either firewall or nova as needed. if u kill fine with firewall and nova, than additional character lvls/skill pts should/can go into static for more range OR thunder storm for more/additional lit damage OR higher cold armors, if u want.

this char level req is easy/reasonible to get to.

AND if u need sk pts just dont put as many or only 1 (preq "for orb") into ice bolt.

**if ONLY 1 pt into icebolt (preq "for orb") than min char lvl req is ~60.**

17. grShaman

Merge that quadruple post :p

18. HegemonKhan

not a moderator:p

i can't merge and move my posts into one big orb rusher sorc guide, and than erase my old posts... maybe if warlock wanted to.. that be very helpful for everyone instead of having my bit n pieces multiple posts all over when it could be all together as a big guide.

sorry for not doing so in first place. but the additional stuff i added i didnt see at the time i did my first post.

19. HegemonKhan

quickie: thunder storm does indeed take many (6 total) preq. skill pts. (i didn't realize that CL=chain lightning was connected/needed for thunder storm=ts) this is probably way too much if u are using 20 sk pts into icebolt, but if u arent u could probably waste 4 more sk pts for getting 1 thunderstorm, though u probably get better lit (lit=lightning type elemental damage out of the 4: fire, cold/ice, lightning=lit, poison=pois) damage jsut dumping 6 pts into nova than using them jsut to get 1 pt into ts as extra damage along with nova
    ^
    (i'm an american and to lazy to type out long words if i can help it:p, i use lots of abrev. and acronyms)(if u dont know a shorthand i use let me know, though i'll try to have the key for it somewhere in my post...though good luck trying to find it in my long posts:p)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    i use the edit button so much, u have no idea how unclear my own typing is to even me when i read over my own posts, that some times i get frozen out of this site:p

and for what its worth, my "name" is hegemonkhan (HK or hege for short):p

i AM very sorry for my messy posts/guides. i do love to type but have almsot no organization skills, so i'm very understanding of poeple's complaints or difficulties with trying to read what i type, as i myself can many times not even understand or navigate what i typed....

20. LouisLeGros

LouisLeGros IncGamers Member

I think someone needs to learn to use the edit button, but atleast he is helpful :p