Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Classic HC

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by BaNiSeR, Feb 24, 2004.

1. BaNiSeR

BaNiSeR IncGamers Member

Classic HC

hey guys, im thinking of starting up a classic char or 8 :p
    i have a third account free, and i think it would be fun to try out classic as i have never ever played classic before lol

if any of you have some tips as to what to do differently in classic HC ladder mode please feal free to share :D

thanks!

oh, on a side note, as far as my first charactor goes...i was thinking of making a pure poison necro as ive never done one of them eather lol

2. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

Posion will be tuff in Classic as the merc is of no value.

Your merc cant be equiped, and cant leave that act or difficulty and die rather uickly in most situations.

Dex isnt required for block as block is listed on shield and remains that.

Things like Frosties that seem to fall everywhere in xpac dont fall in Classic so dont plan on them and just be happy if you get some.

Gems are basically worthless except for resists in shiled, or stats in helms.......3 sock saph helm is standard equupment for my casters as well as a 3 sock diamond tower.

Skellymancers do fine in Classic but not near as good as they are in xpac.
    Sorcs are pretty much equal between the two
    Javas kill fine but wiht no magical sticks mana is always an issue
    Two Hand Barbs perform well......Martel/mace is a good way to go, but I suggest not pumping a mastery until you find a decent weapon.
    Hammerdins rule Classic
    If you think bowas are weak in xpac dont even try one in Classic!!!

op WAM- on East has a lot of ppl in it and you may find some in OP TEB but many are playing xpac lately.

3. BaNiSeR

BaNiSeR IncGamers Member

hmm, thank you

would you say that the sorc or hammerdin would be the better starter char then?
    i was just thinking necro as necros are rather item undependent

4. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

Necro with skellies is by far the best choice, but dont expect him to own hell solo like they do in xpac as there will be no might!!! I suggest maxed Spirit or Spear to help your buddies.

Hammerdin is a good second as his items of need are shopable actually starting in Act 2and 3 Norm u can get + to hammers. Only issue with the Hammerdin is he has to be his own tank and when you do that there is always the FE/ problem and MB that can put you in a world or hurt. Even with all that he is a sound choice and can succeed.

Sorcs......well.......as item independant as they can be it depends on how you play them. Teleporting around like a mad man is going to kill you wihtout good stuff so if you are a patient methodical player you can do well. Remember Block is the shield, so no amount of dex improves it and sorcs have a poor block rate on shields. This can be helped with wearing twitch, but then you are in a resists issue area.

Above all things, hoard the gold up, sell everything and at about lvl 24+ gamble as much as you can for boots, belts, glooves.....if you focus on Gaunts you have a chance for frosties or on the other type for Magis, and you can also focuse on Nightsmokes belt type. Shop wands for sorcs, pick up all wands. Wands that you normally throw away in xpac due to no skills can be godly for a sorc.

Example:
    20 FCR
    some mana
    Resist
    Resist
    Maybe more

That is darn godly for a sorc. Maelstrom is good on a sorc or even hammerdin, so dont neglet giveing a wand like this to a hammerdin.

There are no charges in Classic so remember 1 tree sorcs cant kill immunes well.

There is really sooooo much stuff I cant list it all, but I assure you shopping things and gambling can get you thru the game.

Use that saphire Helm setup.......it is truly simple and simply plenty of mana for a hammerdin or Necro with even minimal other mana items. Make sure to go Gidbin quest those rings can be godly and many skip it in xpac.....sure most are junk, but my first 1.10 Necro is lvl 87 and still uses both his NM and Hell Gidbin rings as they were bith very nice with mana/resists/FCR and I think one had life also.

5. BaNiSeR

BaNiSeR IncGamers Member

cool, thanks again!

i will probably be starting my necro later on tonight :)
    *kinda glad necros are good starters, they always were my favorite class next to assasins*

just thought of something! do synergies and that work in classic? because you suggested max spear or spirit along with skellys, and i dont really think there is enough points to do that unless i just dont take mages and revives

6. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

1 Mage, 1 revive is all I ever go and let skill give me 4-5 revies to play with.

Of course after you max Skelly and Mastery and Spear or Spirit then go Bone wall and Prison for boosting your Armor and Spear or Spirit.

No, your spear or Spirit wont be a devistating attack but it will kill and help you take out those bosses taht are nasty. A nasty spawn of Fanta or Might, Holy Freeze with other mods can widdle skellys down fast in Classic so the Spirit or Spear is essential to taking out that boss faster.

If you enjoy Necros then I am sure you will do well. One thing that will take a choice is how much CE you want. Since at best, likely findings and shoping you will get say 3-5+ skills until you can gamble amys for +2 and only Diablo can drop +2 IIRC. This iwll leave a 1 point CE a pretty small radius, so you may elect to put more in CE. Eventually both my Classic Necros I added more to CE after getting Skelly, mastery and Spirit or spear maxed. You may choose to add earlier and that wouldnt be a mistake at all.

Mages in Classic just dont cut it. Sure use then early for more bodies but plz dont invest as you REALLY need that personal offense skill of spear or spirit especially if solo. The skellies will live but in hell they really are rather slow killers if you dont help.

7. Stahejinn

Stahejinn IncGamers Member

Do you play on East? I'm thinking of starting another hardcore character.

8. Stahejinn

That is if you can actually find a sorc that uses fast cast in classic. Besides we use Spectral Shard.

9. BaNiSeR

BaNiSeR IncGamers Member

im on east, yes
    atm i have a lvl 19 hammerdin who i think im not going to bother with since i dont know how to taim the blasted hammers. a 21 orb sorcy and my necro at 23

i just realised that i no longer had my accounts in my nfo...but *BaNiSeR is the account im using for classic hcl. my other two are exp hcl

10. Mert1

Mert1 IncGamers Member

List of classic differences just to help a bit:

1. Mercs useless, resists -20 NM -50 Hell, dex not needed for block and IAS for ww, any dmg aura affects bh...what else?
    2. Item differences:
    -no class-specific items (claws, pelts, barb helms, pala shields, shrunked heads, orbs,ama bows and spears). Any char can use any item.
    - no diadem/tiara-class armor
    - no charms, jewels, runes, rune words and rune recipes/crafteds (obviously), Only normal ? exceptional items. (sets/uniques normal only).
    - Throwing weapons - max - superior quality (15 ed max)
    - Affixes:
    In short, magic and rare items can only have rare affixes from 1.09 (better look 1.09 AS). Max dmg weapon: kings merciless of slaughter. Max def armor: holy.
    . no chance to cast /charges (teleport, etc)
    . max skill lvl on wands/staves: 24
    . no sockets in rares and magic items
    . max sockets: helms (3), shields (3), weapons (up to 6)
    . no + to skills of sepatate branches of skill tree (e.g. necro summoning, barb combat), vs Undead/Demons
    . max IAS - 20 bows, 40 melee, 10 gloves
    . no AR per lvl
    . max res armor 30 (fire 40), boots 40, amu 40, rings 30. Prism 16-20 only (no 5-6% ) Prism on amu's and shields only
    . max leech: 6 (rings, weapons, amu's)
    . no repair durability/ + quantity

11. Stahejinn

No circlets and there are plus skills to seperate branches

12. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

Fanta does not enhance hammer damage anymore. Regardless of what you think or hear beleive me or holler and I will prove it but showing that 6k hamers hit for the same damage using Fanta or Mediate!

13. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

BTW......Dont be to concerned with "aiming" you will learn so dont give up on him. Just remmeber this, the hammers always have the same flight in relation to the way you character is facing so if you arent hitting th monster rotate your body.

Hammerdins need to use the shift key a ton for the stand still and shoot with not pointing at a target. A long time ago I changed my hotkey for shift to #5 for simplier keying.

As a young hammerdin you ahve very low mana, but killing isnt an issue. Learn to herd the monsters into a pack and let them fly and drink a lot. A couple flawed Saphs in a two socket helm is tremendous help for mana! After you get Mediate if you pump synergies and not concentrate early you can use Mediate full time and kill normal monsters very effrectively!

Once you get Blessed aim start adding points to it.

At lvl 18 add to hammers and vigor and blessed aim, but save a couple points so you can have mediate at 24. Use lvl 1 Concentrate all this time. After all your spare points are used up then max hammers ASAP while still having only lvl 1 Concentrate.

After Hammers are maxed starrt drining up Conc slowly while still adding to Vigor, BA, and getting some in HS and dont forget about redempption at 30!

I never maxed conc totally until well into my 70"s as those synergies add more damage to base. Once you have things like this max/10/10 hammer/ba/vigor feel free to max conc straight out if you want then go back to Vigor and BA. Remember that in Classic your block is totally based on the shield and no amount of dex helps soyou can get away with a lower lvl HS and cast it more often early and still have max block.

14. BaNiSeR

BaNiSeR IncGamers Member

very good advice stinger. but i am/was running that paladin according to the "max dammage hammerdin" guide. sofar my hammerdin, with zero points into nrg, has about 70 mana at lvl 19 thanks to me finding 2 saphires and mana on the ammy.

i guess ill give him a shot later on, but right now my sorc and necro are much better lol

15. Stahejinn

Or your shock palidin...

16. BaNiSeR

BaNiSeR IncGamers Member

lol, yeah, i think that will be quite a fun build.

now then...i was *cringes* thinking! and i thought about uniques/normal items and sets in classic.

is it just normal uniques, no exceptional/elite uniques.
    normal and exceptional items, no elite versions of armor/weapons
    and all the "D2 Sets After v1.08" IE the ones in the middle colum of the d2.net set listings

17. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

Shocker....hum I considered one myslef and here is a potential build for Classic for ya.

Weapon means nothing with Sockers so Speed is king. Now range would be cool also but thins could be nice anyway.

full Angellics......Sigs Helm/Glooves......or Deaths

Full Angelics addes very nice stats and I beleive will have enuff leech for Norm/NM.....Hell may be an issue.

Now for a Well weapon.......Generals Flail or any +pally low req fast item......these things seem to drop constantly in Classic.....+2 Pally Gladis or similar with NO ED or Crystal, something. Might be able to round out your resists with a simple diamond shield early and hope for a Priz +1/2 and still have a couple spots for resist items.

Now those Angelics dont grow on trees but they drop.

The major issue of a Shocker is LIs.....with no merc or LR wands!!!

18. BaNiSeR

BaNiSeR IncGamers Member

hehe, angelic set would truely rock! for now though, im using cathans ring + 4% LL ring that also has 57 or so AR bonus and a 4% ML ammy with 9% FR

for weapon i have isenhearts sword/armor (lucky find i think) because it has defence and AR per clvl pluss 10 str useless as it is since the sword required the most str lol

damn, generals tan do li ga would be good, thats a blasted good point, and guess what? i was in a game and someone was tossing a unique flail, in ided, but i didnt pick it up, now im sad :(

about LI's...yeah, that will be a stinker, but hes realy just for fun, not MFing. besides, with a point in vigor i can run faster than most LI's out there!! haha!!

19. MoUsE_WiZ

MoUsE_WiZ IncGamers Member

I did a throwadin, a bowadin, and a wandadin shocker in 1.09. Goblin toe + Rattle cage should work well enough for taking the LIs out...rather in LoD Guillames + Strength Wand (Goblin toe in the case of the first two) worked well enough. The flee might get annoying if you go the melee route though.

20. Stahejinn

I've gotten to use to being in SC :(