Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Classic hardcore paladin..

Discussion in 'Classic' started by CelticValor, Sep 22, 2006.

1. CelticValor

CelticValor IncGamers Member

Classic hardcore paladin..

So, I'm currently working on making a HC classic paladin and playing with my friend, who's making a primarily cold sorceress. I've been away from D2 for quite awhile (haven't played since the 1.07 patch) so I'm starting from scratch with just about nothing. I had considered two builds, a hammerdin and an avenger. The hammerdin seemed to make me more self-sufficient and output more damage, but the avenger build allowed both me and my sorc. friend to benefit from conviction. Any suggestions on build choice? We plan on playing through hell, possibly doing some PvP along the way.

2. KoalaBearThirtyThree

KoalaBearThirtyThree IncGamers Member

I used to play D2 a while ago and started again a few months ago. I just recently built an avenger up to hell/hell (I think I'm level 72 now) and can say the following. The avenger, like most melee builds, is hard to play. I can't remember what's in the 1.07 patch but one of the biggest differences I notice now (compared to some patch from long ago) is that the life/mana leech is significantly cut (1/3 AFAIK). Apart from leeching problems, the damage I do with a reasonable weapon is only sufficient for 1-3 player game. Anything more and it'll take me an eternity to kill monsters in act4.

I also built a Hammerdin and got bored around act3/hell but he is totally self-sufficient, as you point out. No difficulties killing anything anywhere (except Maggot Lair). Hammerdin might actually be the most powerful PvM char right now (not sure though, but I ususally see Hammerdins kill monsters more quickly than WW barbs or sorcs; even a newbie Hammerdin probably clears open areas faster than WW barbs or sorcs)...

I think an avenger would be more fun in a party. If you are going to be playing with your friend most of the time then an avenger is not a bad choice. Hammerdins on the other hand are a power build and will literally kill anything without much help from anyone.

I don't know much about PvP but I would imagine that melee chars are next to useless for PvP. I'm not sure how an avenger would even touch a WW barb or a teleporting sorc. I would imagine that you need BH, FOH, smite, or Charge, for PvP...

I'm just wondering how many people can actually survive as a melee char in hardcore. There are experts here and I would really like to know how many have harcore melee chars, such as an avenger.

3. CelticValor

CelticValor IncGamers Member

I've always played almost exclusively hardcore, simply because one, it's a bit more thrilling and enjoyable for me, and two the community is on the whole so much more friendly/helpful than in SC. So far I'm leaning towards hammerdin, but I really don't want to be completely cookie cutter. Is there anything that's a bit less popular but still viable? It seems like going melee and getting up in the mob's face isn't the way to go..

4. quadeddie

quadeddie IncGamers Member

(finishing your sentence) ... especially on laggy Bnet with frequent ping spikes.

5. fledgeling

fledgeling IncGamers Member

Ive read that frost zealots MIGHT work.
    But I havent seen any yet, so I think they dont.

6. Beltyn

Beltyn IncGamers Member

A frost clegger zealot is viable up to river runs in hell.

for melee builds the main thing you need is a very fast attack and as much CB as you can get.

Also had a frenzy baba up to aobut 7x doing river runs.

Can be done, jsut requires slower style of play, and a good connection :p

7. purplelocust

purplelocust IncGamers Member

Here's another vote for a Cleglaw's Frost Zealot. It's a good build that works well with easily available gear, and it's pretty safe. For HC, anytime you are relying on life leech to stay alive in mobs, you don't have much safety from lag but aside from that, with careful play, it's quite do-able for those of us without top-notch gear.

8. DougDadyUsWest

DougDadyUsWest IncGamers Member

hammerdins are rather cookie cutter, but they are also the best way to kill quickly. If you are a person who needs to be competing for top spot on the ladder, then I'd say you must go with a hammerdin.

If you are a person who enjoys playing through the game, and taking the time to enjoy a different pace, then go with a frost zealot. There are probably some guides around here.

My hammerdin uses h.freeze as a backup aura. It makes things a bit easier to navigate, and you feel incredibly safe when all the enemies are moving 50% slower. Sometimes a friend of mine plays on his nec and uses decrep. The enemies barely move.